Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 182

Thread: Report: Amtrak loss comes to $32 per passenger

  1. #131
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,306

    Re: Report: Amtrak loss comes to $32 per passenger

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Yes, but the Left is trying to ignore that.

    However, the discussion is still relevant. Right now it's about if government should subsidize failing businesses.

    Naturally, the answer is no.

    Ok thanks, I thought I missed something.....I notice that the derailing was purposely taken off track by the suggestion, and compliance that the original thread title was changed. Pretty transparent if you ask me.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #132
    Guru
    BWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South Coast
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 11:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,203

    Re: Report: Amtrak loss comes to $32 per passenger

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez
    It's a stupid argument. New York wouldn't have developed like it had without the subways, so your argument means nothing.
    Development normally follows infrastructure. No big secret.

    NYC had already developed so that normal modes of transportation was unsustainable. They had to develop a system to reduce traffic in order to prevent gridlock. The logical solution to reduce traffic was rail transportation.

    There had to be a need/reason to build a subway to somewhere.

    Unless, of course you adhere to the 'theory' of build it and they will come...
    “We just simply don’t know how to govern” - Rep. Steve Womack (R-AR) a member of the House Budget Committee

  3. #133
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Report: Amtrak loss comes to $32 per passenger

    Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
    Development normally follows infrastructure. No big secret.

    NYC had already developed so that normal modes of transportation was unsustainable. They had to develop a system to reduce traffic in order to prevent gridlock. The logical solution to reduce traffic was rail transportation.

    There had to be a need/reason to build a subway to somewhere.

    Unless, of course you adhere to the 'theory' of build it and they will come...
    NYC didn't develop it though, private companies did.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  4. #134
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Report: Amtrak loss comes to $32 per passenger

    Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
    NYC had already developed so that normal modes of transportation was unsustainable. They had to develop a system to reduce traffic in order to prevent gridlock. The logical solution to reduce traffic was rail transportation.

    There had to be a need/reason to build a subway to somewhere.

    Unless, of course you adhere to the 'theory' of build it and they will come...
    I am curious what New York subway systems have to do with AMtrack? But that aside, when do you think the subways were built in New York City? HINT: starts with eighteen and ends in sixty-nine.

    In other words, pretty much the before the automobile came into prominence; the notion that New York developed it's mass transit system due to normal modes of transportation pretty much goes out the window don't you think?

  5. #135
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Report: Amtrak loss comes to $32 per passenger

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    NYC didn't develop it though, private companies did.
    You are definately correct; there goes that Government argument.

  6. #136
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Report: Amtrak loss comes to $32 per passenger

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    NYC didn't develop it though, private companies did.
    And didn't those private companies go out of business leaving the investors losing their money? Id rather buy municipal bonds.

  7. #137
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Report: Amtrak loss comes to $32 per passenger

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    And didn't those private companies go out of business leaving the investors losing their money? Id rather buy municipal bonds.
    NYC bought them out.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  8. #138
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Report: Amtrak loss comes to $32 per passenger

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    NYC bought them out.
    Because they had to so private common citizens did not lose all their money. The system despite all its faults is an amazing one.

  9. #139
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Report: Amtrak loss comes to $32 per passenger

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Because they had to so private common citizens did not lose all their money. The system despite all its faults is an amazing one.
    Hmm, did it start going out of business around the same time that the government started building roads? I wonder.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  10. #140
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: Report: Amtrak loss comes to $32 per passenger

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    It shouldn't be.
    Let me just say, I visited Chicago once. It was my first experience with a tollway. It was incredible and obnoxious introduction to me to the less than enjoyable experience of driving on a privately funded and owned roadway.
    Last edited by MyOwnDrum; 10-30-09 at 09:59 PM.

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •