Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 182

Thread: Report: Amtrak loss comes to $32 per passenger

  1. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: And You Want the Government to Run Health Care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    Since you are unclear on the subject, lets just say that you're not talking about the government of the United States of America.

  2. #112
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: And You Want the Government to Run Health Care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Fine.

    Start paying what your ticket actually costs and come back and tell us then how much you love it.
    pretty much sums up Amtrack.....

  3. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Report: Amtrak loss comes to $32 per passenger

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    Wendell Cox? The gun-for-hire who's funded by the road-building industry to slam public transportation? The guy who says public transportation is a "welfare service?"
    If it's operating under taxpayer subsidy, it IS a welfare program.

    If it's operating at a profit, it should be privatized.

    That's not complicated.

  4. #114
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: And You Want the Government to Run Health Care?

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    WOAH! Back up the communist train for a moment.....So Glinda, you are saying that the Governments entire reason for being is to give us stuff?

    Then why do you suppose that the founders came up with this?


    [ article 1, section 8 ]

    j-mac
    I'm sure you're aware that certain kinds of people see only two words in that article, the "general" and the "welfare".

    Just like some people have "not" blindness, a strange inexplicable neurological disorder that causes them to a sentence you'll recognize this way:

    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall be infringed."

    Too many of these people become Supreme Court justices.
    Last edited by Scarecrow Akhbar; 10-30-09 at 03:05 PM.

  5. #115
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: And You Want the Government to Run Health Care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    What "public service" is enumerated in the Constitution? Could you post them here for our review.
    The military.

    The leftists won''t list that one, though.

  6. #116
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: Report: Amtrak loss comes to $32 per passenger

    Why is it people are against funding a train system, but don't protest the government building roads?

  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Report: Amtrak loss comes to $32 per passenger

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum View Post
    Why is it people are against funding a train system, but don't protest the government building roads?
    Because the trains can be replaced by private commercial carriers, and the existence of the Amtrak subsidy does, in fact, cause cause hardship for those carriers.

    Not to mention the fact that the governent is running their choo-choos at a loss.

    The only reasons the government is running Amtrak is to make goonions happy and keep the cost of commuting low for Joe Biden (okay, he no longer commutes to Delaware, so there's only one reason.)

  8. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Report: Amtrak loss comes to $32 per passenger

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum View Post
    Why is it people are against funding a train system, but don't protest the government building roads?
    I am amazed that people cannot see the difference.

    Public roads are paid for by taxpayers with no expectation of a return but with the knowledge that ALL taxpayers will benefit from the roads.

    Many roads are not paid for or built by Government, but required as part of approvals by the developers. Many are private and funded by individuals.

    Rail service is a relatively selective service that currently benefits only a few. The argument here is not against rail service; but that if there is demand, then those using the service should pay the cost of the service.

    Why should taxpayers subsidize a service that only benefits a select few who use it? We are not talking about subways or street cars, the thread topic is AMtrack.

    If the REAL cost to take the train from San Francisco to Seattle is $850; then people riding the train should pay $850; not $150 letting the taxpayers pick up the balance.

  9. #119
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: Report: Amtrak loss comes to $32 per passenger

    I'm amazed that people don't see the benefit in encouraging train travel and building up a train system that will be a viable alternative to car travel.

    I suppose you all are against the funding of public education too. It only benefits kids, not everyone. It loses money too.

  10. #120
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Report: Amtrak loss comes to $32 per passenger

    Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
    Rail doesn't reduce traffic?

    Now I don't think this is some beltway 'think tank' with their calculators and pocket protectors trying to make a serious argument about anything. I know it's a pretty simplistic approach to make a point, so I'm not delving into methodology or anything like that, just offering food for thought.

    Though I must admit, I'm impressed with the amount of people they can move in an hour.
    It's a stupid argument. New York wouldn't have developed like it had without the subways, so your argument means nothing.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •