Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 45

Thread: Interview with Charles Krauthammer: 'Obama is Average'

  1. #31
    Professor
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Arkansas
    Last Seen
    08-23-17 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,808

    Re: Interview with Charles Krauthammer: 'Obama is Average'

    Quote Originally Posted by niftydrifty View Post
    A strawman argument is when you bring something up irrelevant or unrelated and then harp on that. Look it up. Everything I've posted in this thread either addresses what Krauthammer said in the interview in the OP, or supports my POV that Krauthammer is just plain awful as a pundit.

    An actual strawman argument in a Charles Krauthammer thread would in fact sound something like this:
    I don't think so. My post related directly to the fact Obama meant a lot of different things to a lot of democrats. He could never have satisfied all of the expectations held for him by so many divergent peoples. This is pretty much what krauthammer is saying in this interview. Obama isn't a messiah, he's just a man. He's only average.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Interview with Charles Krauthammer: 'Obama is Average'

    Quote Originally Posted by niftydrifty View Post
    "Well thought out." That's a curious way to put it.

    Double standards for different presidents. A blatantly false statement about accomplishments. An appeal to popularity. A myopic point of view that makes conclusions about big picture or history for a president he doesn't like, 9 months in, but says "wait and see" for a president he does like after 1, 2, 3, even 8 years. Confusing fringe with mainstream opinions. Criticizing a politician for being ... political.

    Nothing about Charles Krauthammer is "well thought out."
    Hey, why are you attacking the author and not what he has written? It's like you are trying to discredit what he said by discrediting him and his motives. That doesn't change the fact that what he said was dead on.

    Take this exchange, by way of example:
    SPIEGEL: Do you really believe that Obama deliberately wants to weaken the US?

    Krauthammer: The liberal vision of America is that it should be less arrogant, less unilateral, more internationalist. In Obama's view, America would subsume itself under a fuzzy internationalism in which the international community, which I think is a fiction, governs itself through the UN.

    SPIEGEL: A nightmare?

    Krauthammer: Worse than that: an absurdity. I can't even imagine serious people would believe it, but I think Obama does. There is a way America will decline -- if we choose first to wreck our economy and then to constrain our freedom of action through subordinating ourselves to international institutions which are 90 percent worthless and 10 percent harmful.
    It's an absurdity.
    Last edited by reefedjib; 10-28-09 at 08:43 AM.

  3. #33
    Too big to fail
    niftydrifty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    03-03-16 @ 03:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,725

    Re: Interview with Charles Krauthammer: 'Obama is Average'

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Hey, why are you attacking the author and not what he has written? It's like you are trying to discredit what he said by discrediting him and his motives. That doesn't change the fact that what he said was dead on.
    So that's what it is. An issue with reading comprehension. look again, I have only "attacked" what Krauthammer has said or written. (The interview contains things he said, not wrote.) I've commented on things said by Krauthammer in your OP (lol, and it sounds like you and zimmer haven't noticed.) and I've also commented on things Krauthammer has written before. I've made conclusions about Krauthammer's usefulness as a pundit, and the things that I have typed here support those conclusions.

    "attacking the author and not what he has written" would sound like this: "He's a cripple!" Uh, I haven't done that.

    I don't know where to begin with the whacko excerpt you pasted. the international community is a fiction? in Krauthammer's isolationist "USA-USA!" brain, nations cannot cooperate with one another. but they do, they have, they will, and they need to. I don't know how to even respond to CK's made-up, inflated, and hyperbolic rhetoric. 90%/10%? according to what? pulling numbers out of your butt and saying stuff will happen (when it arguably won't), and refusing to acknowledge the harm that will (and has) come to the US as a direct result of the go-it-alone-blow-em-away approach endorsed by CK.... nutjob is not too strong a word.
    Last edited by niftydrifty; 10-28-09 at 09:10 AM.
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3227&dateline=1247527  127

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Interview with Charles Krauthammer: 'Obama is Average'

    Quote Originally Posted by niftydrifty View Post
    So that's what it is. An issue with reading comprehension. look again, I have only "attacked" what Krauthammer has said or written. (The interview contains things he said, not wrote.) I've commented on things said by Krauthammer in your OP, and I've also commented on things Krauthammer has written before. I've made conclusions about Krauthammer's usefulness as a pundit, and the things that I have typed here support those conclusions.
    Naw, you tried to cast him as inadequate because he said explained campaign promises for Bush but blamed Obama for inaction on his. You were questioning his motives. It's character assassination. Let's see what else you "accused" him of:

    A blatantly false statement about accomplishments.
    Where's the false statement?
    An appeal to popularity.
    Observing popularity is inappropriate in politics?
    A myopic point of view that makes conclusions about big picture or history for a president he doesn't like, 9 months in, but says "wait and see" for a president he does like after 1, 2, 3, even 8 years.
    Because he agrees with the world-view represented by Bush but not Obama? Entirely appropriate.
    Confusing fringe with mainstream opinions.
    WHaat "fringe" opinion and what is the problem with that if true?
    Criticizing a politician for being ... political.
    For acting out of political motivations rather than principle. Entirely appropriate.


    I don't know where to begin with the whacko excerpt you pasted. the international community is a fiction? in Krauthammer's isolationist "USA-USA!" brain, nations cannot cooperate with one another. but they do, they have, they will, and they need to. I don't know how to even respond to CK's made-up, inflated, and hyperbolic rhetoric. 90%/10%? according to what? pulling numbers out of your butt and saying stuff will happen (when it arguably won't), and refusing to acknowledge the harm that will (and has) come to the US as a direct result of the go-it-alone-blow-em-away approach endorsed by CK.... nutjob is not too strong a word.
    Whacko, huh? Please list the wonderful accomplishments on the world stage of said international organizations. I'll await to be amazed.

  5. #35
    Professor Charles Martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-21-10 @ 08:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: Interview with Charles Krauthammer: 'Obama is Average'

    Quote Originally Posted by tjinta ibis View Post
    Coming from a neotard like the big K, this can only be another plus in his cap. Especially in Europe.
    Excellent response to the content of his OP.
    It was the Austrasians, that hewed on bravely through the thick of the fight, it was they who found and cut down the Saracen King.

  6. #36
    Professor
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Arkansas
    Last Seen
    08-23-17 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,808

    Re: Interview with Charles Krauthammer: 'Obama is Average'

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    Excellent response to the content of his OP.
    So how is telling europeans something they don't want to hear amount to feathering one's cap?

  7. #37
    Professor Charles Martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-21-10 @ 08:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: Interview with Charles Krauthammer: 'Obama is Average'

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    So how is telling europeans something they don't want to hear amount to feathering one's cap?
    Becasue all we've been telling the Europeans since Obama was campaiging for world citizen is what they want to hear. Apologies from Americans.
    It was the Austrasians, that hewed on bravely through the thick of the fight, it was they who found and cut down the Saracen King.

  8. #38
    Professor
    WillRockwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    07-10-10 @ 09:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,950

    Re: Interview with Charles Krauthammer: 'Obama is Average'

    Did somebody say Krauthammer?


  9. #39
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Interview with Charles Krauthammer: 'Obama is Average'

    Quote Originally Posted by WillRockwell View Post
    Did somebody say Krauthammer?



    Yeah, that's predictable....Attack the mans physical appearance....I guess when you have no argument this is what the libs find acceptable.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Interview with Charles Krauthammer: 'Obama is Average'

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Yeah, that's predictable....Attack the mans physical appearance....I guess when you have no argument this is what the libs find acceptable.


    j-mac

    It DOES kinda look like him, though.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •