Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 143

Thread: NATO Backs McChrystal Strategy

  1. #11
    Educator ScottD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    06-27-11 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    977

    Re: NATO Backs McChrystal Strategy

    Obama is taking his time formulating a strategy, listening to all of his generals (not just one), etc.

    If he could do all of that in a day, than good for him. But he can't, and it is unrealistic to expect him to pull a plan right out of his top hat (he needs that room for the rabbit). Give him some time.

  2. #12
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,588

    Re: NATO Backs McChrystal Strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
    Obama is taking his time formulating a strategy, listening to all of his generals (not just one), etc.

    If he could do all of that in a day, than good for him. But he can't, and it is unrealistic to expect him to pull a plan right out of his top hat (he needs that room for the rabbit). Give him some time.
    All the generals are saying get the show on the road, so obviously he isn't listening to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    10-14-11 @ 10:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,164

    Re: NATO Backs McChrystal Strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    All the generals are saying get the show on the road, so obviously he isn't listening to them.
    Absolutely False. Your Chief of Staff certainly is not saying that.

    READ THIS PLEASE

    A snippet from the link @ FP (Haddick)
    Gen. George Casey, the Army chief of staff, fears that the size and duration of this commitment could eventually break the all-volunteer Army. One strategic risk is that the United States would not have enough ready ground forces for another sustained contingency elsewhere. Finally, the funding that is diverted to sustaining ground-force intensive operations in Iraq and Afghanistan could be creating risks in the space, air, and naval dimensions that will unpleasantly appear in the next decade and beyond.

  4. #14
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,588

    Re: NATO Backs McChrystal Strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by kansaswhig View Post
    Absolutely False. Your Chief of Staff certainly is not saying that.

    READ THIS PLEASE

    A snippet from the link @ FP (Haddick)
    Admiral Mullens (Chairman of The Joint Chiefs) says it's time to go. General Petraeus says it's time to go and General McChrystal says it's time to go. Looks like The Chief of Staff might not be a hard charger. Just maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #15
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: NATO Backs McChrystal Strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by kansaswhig View Post
    Before folks (who probably don't really know what is going on) start arguing this from a Partisan standpoint, answer these questions and consider these points made by a very smart U.S. Army Major on a very reputable COIN forum:
    you're talking tactically, and intelligently

    but you're somewhat missing my point (i offer respectfully)

    which is, as always, p-o-l-i-t-c-s

    afghanistan is KILLING this president

    and if your point #3, "potential scenario," were anything more than pipe dream, mcchrystal wouldn't be expressing such pissed off disposition in public

    gates wouldn't be openly contradicting his c in c

    obama wouldn't be saying THREE DAYS before the karzai election he was looking at a "war of necessity" with the "fundamental defense of our people" as its impetus

    he wouldn't go on FIVE sunday talks and dissemble about elements of a secret assessment he was SITTING ON

    so that BOB WOODWARD could come out in the post the NEXT DAY and expose the prez as prevaricator

    p-o-l-i-t-i-c-a-l-l-y, this "right war" of obama's is KILLING this president

    on the ground, you make excellent points, in my opinion

    thanks, cliff

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    10-14-11 @ 10:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,164

    Re: NATO Backs McChrystal Strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    you're talking tactically, and intelligently

    but you're somewhat missing my point (i offer respectfully)

    which is, as always, p-o-l-i-t-c-s

    afghanistan is KILLING this president

    and if your point #3, "potential scenario," were anything more than pipe dream, mcchrystal wouldn't be expressing such pissed off disposition in public

    gates wouldn't be openly contradicting his c in c

    obama wouldn't be saying THREE DAYS before the karzai election he was looking at a "war of necessity" with the "fundamental defense of our people" as its impetus

    he wouldn't go on FIVE sunday talks and dissemble about elements of a secret assessment he was SITTING ON

    so that BOB WOODWARD could come out in the post the NEXT DAY and expose the prez as prevaricator

    p-o-l-i-t-i-c-a-l-l-y, this "right war" of obama's is KILLING this president

    on the ground, you make excellent points, in my opinion

    thanks, cliff
    I 100% concur on the criticality of politics on this decision. It's covered in the summary by the good Major.

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    10-14-11 @ 10:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,164

    Re: NATO Backs McChrystal Strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Admiral Mullens (Chairman of The Joint Chiefs) says it's time to go. General Petraeus says it's time to go and General McChrystal says it's time to go. Looks like The Chief of Staff might not be a hard charger. Just maybe.
    Mullen's has concured with the the McChrystal report...he's advocated no new strategy nor recommended troop levels. Petreaus has been oddly silent. McChrystal had the report leaked; so we know where he stands.

  8. #18
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: NATO Backs McChrystal Strategy

    good majors are my heroes

    i defer to them

    perhaps others should too

    at least they could more consistently respect them in public

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    12-02-09 @ 05:13 PM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,695

    Re: NATO Backs McChrystal Strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    All the generals are saying get the show on the road, so obviously he isn't listening to them.
    LINK apdst? How many years have our troops been ready to go in Afghanistan Apdst?

  10. #20
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: NATO Backs McChrystal Strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by goldendog View Post
    How many years have our troops been "Ready to rock" in Afghanistan Apdst?
    Are you saying they've been sitting on their lazy asses doing nothing? I've heard you say some pretty ****ty things, but I never thought you'd kick our troops in the teeth.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •