Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44

Thread: Congress extends hate crime protections to gays

  1. #1
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:36 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,294
    Blog Entries
    2

    Congress extends hate crime protections to gays

    Congress extends hate crime protections to gays - Yahoo! News

    Associated Press – 32 mins ago

    WASHINGTON – Physical attacks on people based on their sexual orientation will join the list of federal hate crimes in a major expansion of the civil rights-era law Congress approved Thursday and sent to President Barack Obama.

    A priority of the late Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, D-Mass., that had been on the congressional agenda for a decade, the measure expands current law to include crimes based on gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability. The measure is named for Matthew Shepard, the gay Wyoming college student murdered 11 years ago.

    To assure its passage after years of frustrated efforts, Democratic supporters attached the measure to a must-pass $680 billion defense policy bill the Senate approved 68-29. The House passed the defense bill earlier this month.
    I was surprised to not see a post on this yet. It is an easy target, and for good reason. First, hate crime laws should go away, not be expanded...and as any one who knows my posts knows I am well in favor of gay rights, but this is just wrong.

    Further, to add this to a defense spending bill is the kind of things we as democrats should oppose. It is and was wrong when republicans did it, it is wrong when we do it. If you can't pass a bill, you can't pass it. Using workarounds to get something through is just wrong.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #2
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Congress extends hate crime protections to gays

    I was gonna post this, but got beaten to the punch (that's what I get for working on my thesis instead of wasting time on DP!).

    I'd have to agree with you on this case on both fronts. I personally hate hate crime legislation. I certainly hope they never make that a hate crime cause I'll be in jail for life if they do. I think it's pointless, stupid, and is made only to justify further government intervention. It's not to say there are absolutely no problems, but it's not a law issue. There's already laws against assault and murder and all that, we don't need to make something that's already illegal even more illegal. You have to prosecute these things fairly. Assault is assault. You can't do it. It doesn't matter if you're motivated by hate of a group, or you're just pissed off, or someone insulted the Bears (actually, that last one is legitimate excuse for assault!). Hate crime legislation doesn't address the root problem.

    As for sneaking it in on a defense bill...I think that's just dirty pool.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #3
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,532

    Re: Congress extends hate crime protections to gays

    Agreed on hate crimes legislation.

    I've often said that the one thing we could learn from the Confederate constitution was their provision that any piece of legislation concern only one subject and that the subject must make up part of the title of the bill.

    It was a good idea.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  4. #4
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Congress extends hate crime protections to gays

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Congress extends hate crime protections to gays - Yahoo! News



    I was surprised to not see a post on this yet. It is an easy target, and for good reason. First, hate crime laws should go away, not be expanded...and as any one who knows my posts knows I am well in favor of gay rights, but this is just wrong.

    Further, to add this to a defense spending bill is the kind of things we as democrats should oppose. It is and was wrong when republicans did it, it is wrong when we do it. If you can't pass a bill, you can't pass it. Using workarounds to get something through is just wrong.
    I agree on both points... but I admit I was pretty surprised to see the bolded part coming from you.

  5. #5
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:36 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,294
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Congress extends hate crime protections to gays

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Agreed on hate crimes legislation.

    I've often said that the one thing we could learn from the Confederate constitution was their provision that any piece of legislation concern only one subject and that the subject must make up part of the title of the bill.

    It was a good idea.
    I would certainly support such a reform.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Congress extends hate crime protections to gays

    I greatly dislike when people in government push through their agenda by attaching law to an irrelevant bill. The current conservative government in Canada is fond of doing that.

    I disagree that hate crime laws are not needed. Law enforcement in its very nature tends to be conservative. To pretend that there isn't prejudice against homosexuals, especially by more conservative elements of society, to which law enforcement officers generally are, is putting on blinders. I am not saying that every cop is a raging homophobic, but I am not saying it's all peace, love and happiness, either.

    Hate crime laws exist to ensure that crimes are not ignored or minimized based on personal feelings about the victim's lifestyle. It compels investigators and attorneys to do their jobs.

  7. #7
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:36 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,294
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Congress extends hate crime protections to gays

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    I agree on both points... but I admit I was pretty surprised to see the bolded part coming from you.
    Why? I am not sure what I have said that would give any other impression.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #8
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:36 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,294
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Congress extends hate crime protections to gays

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post

    I disagree that hate crime laws are not needed. Law enforcement in its very nature tends to be conservative. To pretend that there isn't prejudice against homosexuals, especially by more conservative elements of society, to which law enforcement officers generally are, is putting on blinders. I am not saying that every cop is a raging homophobic, but I am not saying it's all peace, love and happiness, either.

    Hate crime laws exist to ensure that crimes are not ignored or minimized based on personal feelings about the victim's lifestyle. It compels investigators and attorneys to do their jobs.
    It does not do this though, at least not to my mind. Assault is a crime, and if that crime is ignored, it will still be ignored. Thankfully, I don't think that is much of a problem these days.

    While most cops might be conservative, most cops are cops first. Assault and murder are still crimes, no matter who the victim, and this is what I think most cops think about, the crime.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #9
    Sage
    akyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,452

    Re: Congress extends hate crime protections to gays

    An utter waste of time and a distraction. A crime is a crime. There is no need for further adjectives.
    Thank you

  10. #10
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Congress extends hate crime protections to gays

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Why? I am not sure what I have said that would give any other impression.
    You're a pro-homosexual bigot, are you not?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •