Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 56

Thread: Dubai aims for tallest building

  1. #21
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: Dubai building 1/2 mile high tower/ of Babel ??

    Quote Originally Posted by paris View Post
    Sure they think they can avoid any iceberg! we'll sea
    Speaking of icebergs was it the Saudi's, Kuwaiti's, or the Bubaiski's who had some idea of floating a big iceberg from the Antarctic and melt it down for water use? Not sure if they could actually move something that big and get it to the MidEast before it melted!!! But good story I guess!!
    “I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us “ f107HyperSabr

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Dubai building 1/2 mile high tower/ of Babel ??

    Quote Originally Posted by F107HyperSabr View Post
    Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

    Dubai wants some Korean company Big Ho Construction Company or something is buuilding what may be the modern day tower of Babel ?

    Kye Ho Kim of Samsung Construction brags that the tower building will be a half mile high, the world's tallest building. Ho said "This building is going to break so many records," and he bragged on that "This is kind of a project like the first exploration of the moon. Nobody can challenge it."

    Now doesn't that sound like the bragging done by the builders of the Titanic ?

    How did that work out for you White Star ? huh

    It this tallest building desire by Dubai a good business decision or is this just them being an attaention whore ?
    I see some countries are still engaged in the macho pissing contest of wasting the word's resources to build huge eye sores. I'm glad most of the Western world moved past this tendency about 15 years ago. Can't blame the others for following in our footsteps though.

    Dubai exists for one reason and one reason alone: oil. It's a huge city in the middle of the desert, sustained by oil money and by importing the world's resources. It's nice to see they are still putting their money to such frivolous use. If the oil ever dries up, Dubai will go bye bye.

  3. #23
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: Dubai building 1/2 mile high tower/ of Babel ??

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    I see some countries are still engaged in the macho pissing contest of wasting the word's resources to build huge eye sores. I'm glad most of the Western world moved past this tendency about 15 years ago. Can't blame the others for following in our footsteps though.

    Dubai exists for one reason and one reason alone: oil. It's a huge city in the middle of the desert, sustained by oil money and by importing the world's resources. It's nice to see they are still putting their money to such frivolous use. If the oil ever dries up, Dubai will go bye bye.
    Who knows maybe they can rent BABEL BUILDING and attract companies to HQ there. They better hope that they never get eartquakes. I can just see the cliam destription to the insurance company 'BUILDING FALL DOWN, GO BOOM "

    PS I started corpporate life in the Claims Departmnet, A CLAIM Rep actually wrote that one in the claim description field .... much funny reading that day !!
    “I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us “ f107HyperSabr

  4. #24
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Dubai building 1/2 mile high tower/ of Babel ??

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    I see some countries are still engaged in the macho pissing contest of wasting the word's resources to build huge eye sores. I'm glad most of the Western world moved past this tendency about 15 years ago. Can't blame the others for following in our footsteps though.
    It's not just a "macho pissing contest." Dubai is trying to become a tourist destination and a commercial hub, and it has succeeded admirably. It's a lone bright spot of Arab capitalism amidst the other stagnant economies in the region.

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius
    Dubai exists for one reason and one reason alone: oil. It's a huge city in the middle of the desert, sustained by oil money and by importing the world's resources. It's nice to see they are still putting their money to such frivolous use. If the oil ever dries up, Dubai will go bye bye.
    That is not true. Yes, Dubai got its initial capital through oil, but it is doing exactly what it should be doing: Diversifying its economy. Other nations have proven that you don't need a lot of natural resources to have a thriving economy: Singapore, Hong Kong, etc.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    LIBTARDISTAN
    Last Seen
    05-01-10 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,629

    Re: Dubai building 1/2 mile high tower/ of Babel ??

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    It's not just a "macho pissing contest." Dubai is trying to become a tourist destination and a commercial hub, and it has succeeded admirably. It's a lone bright spot of Arab capitalism amidst the other stagnant economies in the region.



    That is not true. Yes, Dubai got its initial capital through oil, but it is doing exactly what it should be doing: Diversifying its economy. Other nations have proven that you don't need a lot of natural resources to have a thriving economy: Singapore, Hong Kong, etc.
    When the oil runs out, they will fail....

  6. #26
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: Dubai building 1/2 mile high tower/ of Babel ??

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Someone sounds jealous. ... love the "some Korean company" insult... You do know that it has been involved in the 3 biggest building on the planet right?...
    Jealous, how many record breaking buildings does Spain have?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #27
    R.I.P. Léo
    bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    05-17-12 @ 03:54 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,649

    Re: Dubai building 1/2 mile high tower/ of Babel ??

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Jealous, how many record breaking buildings does Spain have?
    Have you never been to Barcelona? It's one of the most beautiful cities in the world!

  8. #28
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: Dubai building 1/2 mile high tower/ of Babel ??

    Quote Originally Posted by bub View Post
    Have you never been to Barcelona? It's one of the most beautiful cities in the world!
    That's not what I asked. We have lots of beautiful cities, if that's what turns you on. Blue stater types are usually turned on by cities, while the rest of us marvel at what God made. Anyway, we've done the tallest building thing, got the t-shirt. So some noobs now have some money and want to play 'Who has the tallest dick'? Welcome, the water is warm.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #29
    R.I.P. Léo
    bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    05-17-12 @ 03:54 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,649

    Re: Dubai building 1/2 mile high tower/ of Babel ??

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    That's not what I asked. We have lots of beautiful cities, if that's what turns you on. Blue stater types are usually turned on by cities, while the rest of us marvel at what God made. Anyway, we've done the tallest building thing, got the t-shirt. So some noobs now have some money and want to play 'Who has the tallest dick'? Welcome, the water is warm.
    First you seem to say that Spain is bad because it doesn't have "record buildings", then you say that "record buildingss" suck?

  10. #30
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: Dubai building 1/2 mile high tower/ of Babel ??

    Quote Originally Posted by bub View Post
    First you seem to say that Spain is bad because it doesn't have "record buildings", then you say that "record buildingss" suck?
    Why don't you read the thread first? You'll eventually get it.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •