Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 119

Thread: Feds to issue new medical marijuana policy [edited]

  1. #81
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Feds to issue new medical marijuana policy [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Well since you already showed the case I really don't have to.

    Thanks for your pre-pubescent response.

    If you think you have someting here, why dont you supply a quote?

    Show me direct evidence that my argument is selective.

  2. #82
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Feds to issue new medical marijuana policy [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    You're discussing two different things -- investigation of violations of federal laws dealing with the purchase of firearms, and the investigation of murders.

    Chances are, the murder investigation is a state, not federal, investgation; if it were a federal investigation, the FBI, not the BATF, would be in the lead.


    But all of that is beside the point -- I'm not at all sure how the 'it is legal under state law, so we will not prosecute it under federal law' argument holds any water whatseoever.

    And I am -astounded- that someone would accept the idea that it is OK for the President to enforce the law based on what HE thinks should and should not be illegal.
    so instead of answering the hypothecal you decide to just weasel out of it.. I see.

    Lets simplify this, and make them both federal crimes so you don't split hairs.

    Should a gun registration violation have the same priority as someone who is smuggling AK-47's into Montana across the Canadian border to sell to whomever has the money for them?

    Your answer is it should be chronological? A prosecutor should dedicate resources to the registration violation instead of the gun smuggling because it happened first?


    Ther is a finite budget, there is a finite amount of manpower, there is a finite amount of our tax dollars to be used prosecuting federal cases. There is NO OPTION other than to prioritize where resources get allocated.
    Last edited by marduc; 10-20-09 at 02:47 PM.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  3. #83
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Feds to issue new medical marijuana policy [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    so instead of answering the hypothecal you decide to just weasel out of it.. I see.
    I answered your hypothetical directly, and with a perfectly sound response -- its not my fault you didnt ask a question narrow enough to generate an answer within a range that you wanted.

    Lets simplify this, and make them both federal crimes so you don't split hairs.

    Should a gun registration violation have the same priority as someone who is smuggling AK-47's into Montana across the Canadian border to sell to whomever has the money for them?
    Again:
    These are different things investigated by different resources.
    Whatever priority one should or might have over the other does not affect the resources of one over the other.


    Your answer is it should be chronological? A prosecutor should dedicate resources to the registration violation instead of the gun smuggling because it happened first?
    Why would the --prosecution-- of these be anything --other-- than chonological? Everyone has the same right to a speedy trial.

  4. #84
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Feds to issue new medical marijuana policy [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post

    Why would the --prosecution-- of these be anything --other-- than chonological? Everyone has the same right to a speedy trial.
    So a gun registration case has a higher priority than a smuggling case.. ok.

    the prosecutor should not decide that the registration case is low priority offense and take a plea bargain so that they may develop a sound case to take the gun smuggler to trial. All because the registration case happens to be chronologically superior.

    When the gun smuggler gets his case before a jury the prosecution will be woefully unprepared and the smuggler gets off because the prosecutors office was busy with minor cases that had chronological superiority.

    makes sense to me
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  5. #85
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Feds to issue new medical marijuana policy [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    So a gun registration case has a higher priority than a smuggling case.. ok.
    I'm sorry -- when did I specifically say that?
    I said that you prosecute them as the cases come up, as everyone has the same right to a speedy trial.
    Do you have an argument against that, or not?

    The prosecutor should not decide that the registration case is low priority offense and take a plea bargain so that they may develop a sound case to take the gun smuggler to trial. All because the registration case happens to be chronologically superior.
    Wow. Way to make stuff up that suits your argument.
    But, when you're argument is weak, I guess you have little choice.

    1: We're not discussing plea-bargians v prosecution, we're discussing NO prosecution v prosecution.
    2: Evryoe has the same right to a speedy trial; the 'severity' of one crime over another does not affect this.

    Now, if you want to argue that the prosecutor should plea out the registration case so he can spend more time with the smuggling case that's fine, but, as I said, We're not discussing plea-bargians v prosecution, we're discussing NO prosecution v prosecution.

    Are you going to argue that the registration violation should NOT be prosecuted?

    Makes sense to me
    Especially when you make things up to suit your position, and dont have an understanding of what's being discussed.

  6. #86
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Feds to issue new medical marijuana policy [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    makes sense to me
    Dont sweat it, he has established his ignorance in regards to resource allocation as a function of time (aka opportunity cost) a few pages back. And because of this, he will continue to spew his "chrono" bs time and again.
    Last edited by Kushinator; 10-20-09 at 03:14 PM.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  7. #87
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Feds to issue new medical marijuana policy [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    That's what the executive branch does.
    Not if it wants to "faithfully execute" its job as CLEO.

  8. #88
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Feds to issue new medical marijuana policy [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Dont sweat it, he has established his ignorance in regards to resource allocation as a function of time (aka opportunity cost) a few pages back. And because of this, he will continue to spew his "chrono" bs time and again.
    Says he who willfully misunderstands and deliberately mis-represents the posts he is responding to.

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Feds to issue new medical marijuana policy [edited]

    If what you say is true, Goobieman, the solution is simple: impeach him. Anything else is hot air.

    Seems to me that with all the lawyers in the administration, they would have covered their bases. I personally think it is ok for them to decide not to prosecute certain crimes because of resource constraints.
    Last edited by reefedjib; 10-20-09 at 03:28 PM.

  10. #90
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,722

    Re: Feds to issue new medical marijuana policy [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    It's his discretion.
    Whoa!! Just a minute. Do I hear Liberals supporting the use of signing statements? But, when Bush was in office, didn't the Liberals heartily condemn them?

    Here is who I blame:

    1) Bush supporters, for supporting everything Bush did, including his circumventing the law with signing statements.

    AND

    2) Obama supporters, for showing me that they are some of the biggest hypocrites on the planet.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •