Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 52

Thread: HPD won't screen for immigration

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Between Hollywood and Compton.
    Last Seen
    11-25-09 @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,497

    Re: HPD won't screen for immigration

    As to racial profiling, we can refer to an empirical source such as Ayers et al.'s Is Immigration a Racial Issue? Anglo Attitudes on Immigration Policies in a Border County to identify general racist attitudes that might provide a basis for such behavior:

    Objective. This study assesses the association between Anglo aversion to Latinos, physical proximity to Latinos, and contact with ethnic minorities, with expressed preferences for immigration policies.

    Methods. Data were drawn from a telephone survey of San Diego County, California, residents (N=549 Anglos) using random-digit-dial procedures during 2005–2006 that was conducted by closely supervised professional interviewers. Descriptive reports, tau-b correlations, and multivariate logistic regressions were used for analysis.

    Results. Aversion to Latinos, as indicated by an adaptation of the Bogardus social distance scale, was related to more restrictionist attitudes about legal and Mexican immigration. Associations increased when respondents were primed to consider Mexican immigration, although aversion to Latinos was not related to attitudes about amnesty for undocumented persons. Contrary to some previous findings, proximity to Latino populations increased opposition to legal immigration and amnesty. Reported minority contact had minimal impact but increased support for amnesty.

    Conclusions. Attitudes about immigration may be motivated more by racial resentments than other considerations. Future research should identify racial factors that influence Anglo policy positions beyond the classic Anglo/African division that has dominated this research arena.
    Again, "Latino" is not a race, though. Latinos typically consist of whites, Indians, blacks, or some combination thereof. It's simply that residents of border states are most commonly familiar with the predominantly Indian immigrants due to their exclusion from higher society by Latin American racism and classism and consequent need to emigrate.

  2. #12
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: HPD won't screen for immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Of course it is easy to call racial profiling in cases like this without actual evidence.
    You're arguing that racial profiling doesn't occur, then giving your justification for why racial profiling is ok...

    There are a boatload of court cases pending at the moment against Arpaio's department and other ICE collaborations with local departments. We'll see how those cases come out. Against Arpaio it's pretty open and shut. Even ICE cited that as one of their reasons for booting him from the program.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    I mean think about it. At least 95% of illegals in this country are from south of the border.
    It's 75%. Still a very large portion, but not 95%. Lots of illegal aliens are people who overstayed visas or who were layed off from H1 visa jobs. Most those folks are European or Asian.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Add to that an area which is known to have a huge problem with illegals from said area and what do you get when you go to round up illegals? Lots of people from the same race getting rounded up.
    Do you believe that they are also asking the white people to produce proof of citizenship?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    I seriously think that the term "racial profiling" has become much like what those that oppose Obama's policies are called. Ex: Nazi. The term has become a political meaningless talking point used solely to discredit those that oppose a certain point of view. And by discrediting those people make your view come to happen despite any idiocy involved.
    That doesn't make much sense to me. ICE is run by an Obama apointee for starters... What does it have to do with opposing Obama's policies? The 14th ammendment isn't "Obama's policy"...

    It's a clear cut term. If the law is applied differently to different groups of people based on their race, it's racial profiling. Bush, like Obama, launched a big campaign against racial profiling. It's unconstitutional and just plain racist. That isn't a liberal/conservative thing. As a country we don't believe that an individual should be treated differently by law enforcement because of what race they are.

  3. #13
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,863
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: HPD won't screen for immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    You're arguing that racial profiling doesn't occur, then giving your justification for why racial profiling is ok...
    I'm arguing that the term is used far more than it should be. Much like racism or nazi is being used at the slightest drop of the hat.

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    There are a boatload of court cases pending at the moment against Arpaio's department and other ICE collaborations with local departments. We'll see how those cases come out. Against Arpaio it's pretty open and shut. Even ICE cited that as one of their reasons for booting him from the program.
    Of course there are butt loads of cases pending against him. He's doing something which obviously has been construed as racial profiling. And can easily be construed as such for my already given reasons.

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    It's 75%. Still a very large portion, but not 95%. Lots of illegal aliens are people who overstayed visas or who were layed off from H1 visa jobs. Most those folks are European or Asian.
    The 95% was just a number thrown out there to indicate that there is a large percentage from south of the border.

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Do you believe that they are also asking the white people to produce proof of citizenship?
    I don't know. They always seem to leave that out.

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    That doesn't make much sense to me. ICE is run by an Obama apointee for starters... What does it have to do with opposing Obama's policies? The 14th ammendment isn't "Obama's policy"...
    It doesn't have to do with Obama per se. I was saying that the term racial profiling is over used...like the terms applied to people that oppose Obama.

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    It's a clear cut term. If the law is applied differently to different groups of people based on their race, it's racial profiling. Bush, like Obama, launched a big campaign against racial profiling. It's unconstitutional and just plain racist. That isn't a liberal/conservative thing. As a country we don't believe that an individual should be treated differently by law enforcement because of what race they are.
    Yet considering the demographics and what is happening along our southern border this is exactly what happens. Tell me do you know how many white folks are arrested for illegally crossing the border? How many border agents are along the northern border compared to the southern border? An equal amount? If not and there are more border patrol agents along the southern border than the northern border then a case could be made for "racial profiling". Despite the fact that more illegals come through the southern border than the northern one. Because more illegals that come through the border are Hispanic than any other race.

    See what I mean about the term being used more than it should be? A person can call racial profiling for even the slightest hint of supposed inequality.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Between Hollywood and Compton.
    Last Seen
    11-25-09 @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,497

    Re: HPD won't screen for immigration

    "Hispanics" aren't a race. Honestly, the term is almost useless.

  5. #15
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: HPD won't screen for immigration

    Arpaio is still allowed to go after illegals if he discovers their illegal status while processing them in his jail, according the modified ICE agreement. The change is that "street sweeps" are no longer allowed. Nobody has really explained what a street sweep is, but Arpaio is facing a suit by latino men who were caught in such a sweep but turned out be here legally. Considering that the overwhelming majority were caught in jails and not sweeps, I think the ICE made the right choice. Wasting police resources in sweeps for illegals in an inefficient use of police resources.

  6. #16
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: HPD won't screen for immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    How many border agents are along the northern border compared to the southern border? An equal amount? If not and there are more border patrol agents along the southern border than the northern border then a case could be made for "racial profiling". Despite the fact that more illegals come through the southern border than the northern one. Because more illegals that come through the border are Hispanic than any other race.

    See what I mean about the term being used more than it should be? A person can call racial profiling for even the slightest hint of supposed inequality.
    I do see your argument, but you're missing a couple points. First, targetting a location where the crime you're trying to catch people committing is not considered racial profiling on face. It certainly could be argued that it is racial profiling when it is disproportionate. For example, if 60% of burglaries happen in a black neighborhood and 40% in a white neighborhood, and the police decide to put 95% of their officers in the black neighborhood, that's pretty fishy.

    But, that's not what Arpaio is being charged with. What he's being sued for is essentialy stopping every hispanic that his teams come across and trumping up charges so he can check their citizenship status. That's racial profiling pure and simple. And, there is a very good reason that it is illegal- because most Mexicans living in his county are citizens and they're being harrassed constantly, they're getting ticketted for trumped up charges, etc. It isn't right that a citizen should be persecuted for crimes committed by other people just because they happen to be the same ethnicity.

  7. #17
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: HPD won't screen for immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
    "Hispanics" aren't a race. Honestly, the term is almost useless.
    It doesn't matter. "Racial" profiling is just what people call it. The laws prohibiting it all specify profiling on the basis or race, ethnicity, nation of origin, religion, disability, or gender.

  8. #18
    wʜɪтe яussɪaи Tashah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    ישראל אמריקה
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 04:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,379

    Re: HPD won't screen for immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Houston has been a sanctuary city for a long time. Most the big cities in the US are sanctuary cities.
    This is true unfortunately. Chicago is the same way. The Daley political machine has an immunity/votes quid-pro-quo with the Latino community.

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    If somebody is a contributing member of the community and doesn't get in any trouble with the law, there is no reason to deport them.
    A performance-based live and let live philosophy that excuses/ignores an initial illegal act (illegal entry).

    Utilizing such a philosophy, one could also extrapolate that no one who purchases a gun illegally should be prosecuted and the weapon confiscated unless and/or until they commit a crime with said weapon.

    אשכנזי היהודי Белый Россию

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Between Hollywood and Compton.
    Last Seen
    11-25-09 @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,497

    Re: HPD won't screen for immigration

    Not really. Increased gun prevalence will necessarily result in the generation of negative externalities in regard to violent crime, while increased prevalence of illegal immigrants won't do the same. The analogy is thus not especially descriptive or fitting.

  10. #20
    wʜɪтe яussɪaи Tashah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    ישראל אמריקה
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 04:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,379

    Re: HPD won't screen for immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
    Not really. Increased gun prevalence will necessarily result in the generation of negative externalities in regard to violent crime, while increased prevalence of illegal immigrants won't do the same. The analogy is thus not especially descriptive or fitting.
    The sentient point is easily grasped and understood.

    At least by most of us lesser mortals

    אשכנזי היהודי Белый Россию

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •