Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 45 of 45

Thread: Firefighter Suspended Over Flag Sticker

  1. #41
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    10-20-11 @ 03:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    371

    Re: Firefighter Suspended Over Flag Sticker

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No, this is a situation where you can change the rules if you don't like it, but any one who refuses to obey them should be punished. When the guy refused to remove it after being told it was against regulations, he forced management to give him a penalty.
    Oh how simple things must be in your world. Unfortunately for you, some people believe that certain laws/rules should be changed. Instead of everyone going crazy over this issue, why don't we all take a look at the rule and why it is there, and does that rule make logical sense? Not being able to display a flag (of any country) does not make any damn sense. If you are willing to just blindly follow laws because "it's the law". . . than so be it, but I do not think that is intelligent.

    Your argument basically says "He broke the law, it doesn't matter how unfair, unjust, or down right insane the law is, the fact of the matter is, it is the law, therefore he should be in trouble for breaking it."

    Do you want to know who else used to say such things? During the civil rights movement people didn't care what happened to blacks because "it was the law" the law said blacks and whites shouldn't be together in schools, and people like YOU would just be happy to sit back and say, well "it's the law" if they break it, they should be punished. I am sorry, but YOU are making a grave mistake to just follow these laws and rules blindly. Absolutely absurd.

    I substituted the word law into it instead of rule. But you understand the gist of my point.
    Last edited by Rightwing86; 10-19-09 at 03:21 AM.

  2. #42
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:33 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Firefighter Suspended Over Flag Sticker

    Quote Originally Posted by Rightwing86 View Post
    Oh how simple things must be in your world. Unfortunately for you, some people believe that certain laws/rules should be changed. Instead of everyone going crazy over this issue, why don't we all take a look at the rule and why it is there, and does that rule make logical sense? Not being able to display a flag (of any country) does not make any damn sense. If you are willing to just blindly follow laws because "it's the law". . . than so be it, but I do not think that is intelligent.

    Your argument basically says "He broke the law, it doesn't matter how unfair, unjust, or down right insane the law is, the fact of the matter is, it is the law, therefore he should be in trouble for breaking it."

    Do you want to know who else used to say such things? During the civil rights movement people didn't care what happened to blacks because "it was the law" the law said blacks and whites shouldn't be together in schools, and people like YOU would just be happy to sit back and say, well "it's the law" if they break it, they should be punished. I am sorry, but YOU are making a grave mistake to just follow these laws and rules blindly. Absolutely absurd.

    I substituted the word law into it instead of rule. But you understand the gist of my point.
    This is not the civil rights movement, not even close. Let's not go making a mountain out of a molehill. If the rule itself is a problem(actually, it's not, many employers who give lockers to employees have similar rules), I have no problem with changing the rule. However, if when warned there will be a consequence of not following the rule, there should be follow through. There where better ways of handling it, instead of trying to make himself a martyr in the media.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #43
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Firefighter Suspended Over Flag Sticker

    Quote Originally Posted by Rightwing86 View Post
    Oh how simple things must be in your world. Unfortunately for you, some people believe that certain laws/rules should be changed. Instead of everyone going crazy over this issue, why don't we all take a look at the rule and why it is there, and does that rule make logical sense?
    Actually, yes. Yes it does. The fire department had received complaints from employees who were offended by crap that people posted on their lockers. Since the management probably had better things to do than decide on a case-by-case basis whether the things on lockers were offensive, they made a general rule that people couldn't put things on the outside of their locker at all anymore. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 10-19-09 at 03:45 AM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Firefighter Suspended Over Flag Sticker

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    So say a fire fighter put the hammer and sickle on their locker?
    So he likes communism...big deal.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Firefighter Suspended Over Flag Sticker

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Actually, yes. Yes it does. The fire department had received complaints from employees who were offended by crap that people posted on their lockers. Since the management probably had better things to do than decide on a case-by-case basis whether the things on lockers were offensive, they made a general rule that people couldn't put things on the outside of their locker at all anymore. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.
    You're right. It is a pretty sensible rule but I think they're being just as lame as the fire fighter for enforcing it. I wouldn't have told him to take it off if I were the boss and I wouldn't have refused to comply if I were the fire fighter.

    Americans just like being dramatic about everything. It's a symptom of neurotic mainstream culture.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •