Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 45

Thread: Firefighter Suspended Over Flag Sticker

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The Conservative Part of California
    Last Seen
    04-12-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    285

    Re: Firefighter Suspended Over Flag Sticker

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post

    I don't resent common sense in those situations where it triumphs over principled rule of conduct, but neither do I resent principled rule of conduct when it triumphs over common sense. They are both important and don't deserve special privileges over the other. Winner take all.
    Rule of conduct? Concerning... Sticker placement?

    Do you realize how absurd you just sounded?

    Yes, you got me Morality Games, I resent the prinipled rule of conduct concerning sticker placement on my locker. Boy, you really made me look absurd.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No, this is a situation where you can change the rules if you don't like it, but any one who refuses to obey them should be punished. When the guy refused to remove it after being told it was against regulations, he forced management to give him a penalty.
    You should remember that we can't hear the invocation of the words you type, so when you say "punished" and make references to "forced management" it makes you seem a little insane. I'm all for blowing things out of proportion, but seriously: was there never a reductio ad absurdum you didn't like?

  2. #12
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Firefighter Suspended Over Flag Sticker

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    If you read the article, you'll see that the rule did indeed come about because someone was "offended".
    Not because of the flag. They were offended by some racially-offensive cartoon that someone posted on their locker, so the fire department just made a general rule that you couldn't post stuff on the outside of your locker anymore. Seems perfectly reasonable.

    This guy is now asking the fire department to make an exception for him. He knew the rule and he CHOSE to make a big stink out of it. The fact that he went to the media and tried to make it seem like they found the American flag offensive just shows that he's a publicity whore, not someone with a legitimate grievance. This guy is not a unique snowflake; he has to follow the same rules as everyone else.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  3. #13
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Firefighter Suspended Over Flag Sticker

    Rule of conduct? Concerning... Sticker placement?

    Do you realize how absurd you just sounded?

    Yes, you got me Morality Games, I resent the prinipled rule of conduct concerning sticker placement on my locker. Boy, you really made me look absurd.
    Symbols in general, not just stickers. I'm not sure what the most compelling motivation is behind the policy, but it is sufficiently important that the persons involved have determined it will be enforced. It could be that someone has in the past (or could in the future) posted a symbol which undermines group cohesion because its political, religious, or moral connotations flout the sensibilities of a significant number in the department. Group cohesion is as essential among fire men as it is among the police or the army, so naturally there would be measures for addressing such concerns. The prohibition on symbols on lockers might be part of a broader policy, perhaps a dumper part, but still one that needs to be upheld to maintain the integrity of the whole. That's my guess.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  4. #14
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Firefighter Suspended Over Flag Sticker

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    If you read the article, you'll see that the rule did indeed come about because someone was "offended".
    You are correct, but they where offended at a potentially racist cartoon. Most work places would do the same. No one was offended by the flag sticker.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #15
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Firefighter Suspended Over Flag Sticker

    Quote Originally Posted by Metternich View Post
    You should remember that we can't hear the invocation of the words you type, so when you say "punished" and make references to "forced management" it makes you seem a little insane. I'm all for blowing things out of proportion, but seriously: was there never a reductio ad absurdum you didn't like?
    I am a law and order type. If you cannot follow rules, you deserve what happens as a result. The guy was warned, chose to ignore the warning, and as such has no room to bitch that management followed through.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #16
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Firefighter Suspended Over Flag Sticker

    Quote Originally Posted by Metternich View Post
    This is one of those incidents when common sense should trump regulation.
    So say a fire fighter put the hammer and sickle on their locker?

  7. #17
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 12:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: Firefighter Suspended Over Flag Sticker

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The explanation is within the article you linked.



    It has nothing to do with it being a flag, it has to do with him breaking a rule and refusing to comply. Nothing wrong with that.
    So you feel that any rule is justified by the fact that it is a rule.

    Intersting. So, how do you justify any objection or rebellion against any rule anywhere?
    Quod scripsi, scripsi

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Firefighter Suspended Over Flag Sticker

    Quote Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post
    So you feel that any rule is justified by the fact that it is a rule.

    Intersting. So, how do you justify any objection or rebellion against any rule anywhere?
    If you don't like the rules, change them. But if you disobey the rules, then you suffer the consequences.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: Firefighter Suspended Over Flag Sticker

    Probably they made an all encompassing rule regarding lockers because the fire dept. administration has better things to do than policing lockers. It's easier to ban everything. This firefighter only has the doofus to thank who posted the racially offensive cartoon. That firefighter should have had more common sense than that.

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The Conservative Part of California
    Last Seen
    04-12-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    285

    Re: Firefighter Suspended Over Flag Sticker

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    So say a fire fighter put the hammer and sickle on their locker?
    American flag... Equals a Hammer and Sickle? Sorry, try again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I am a law and order type. If you cannot follow rules, you deserve what happens as a result. The guy was warned, chose to ignore the warning, and as such has no room to bitch that management followed through.
    This law is not based on justice, and inspires no order.

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    Symbols in general, not just stickers. I'm not sure what the most compelling motivation is behind the policy, but it is sufficiently important that the persons involved have determined it will be enforced. It could be that someone has in the past (or could in the future) posted a symbol which undermines group cohesion because its political, religious, or moral connotations flout the sensibilities of a significant number in the department. Group cohesion is as essential among fire men as it is among the police or the army, so naturally there would be measures for addressing such concerns. The prohibition on symbols on lockers might be part of a broader policy, perhaps a dumper part, but still one that needs to be upheld to maintain the integrity of the whole. That's my guess.
    What about symbols that increase group cohesion? Like, for instance, an America flag?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    This guy is now asking the fire department to make an exception for him. He knew the rule and he CHOSE to make a big stink out of it. The fact that he went to the media and tried to make it seem like they found the American flag offensive just shows that he's a publicity whore, not someone with a legitimate grievance. This guy is not a unique snowflake; he has to follow the same rules as everyone else.
    Welcome to the 24-hour news cycle. It's been this way for a while, a little late to bring up the publicity whore card because it can be used on almost anything broadcast these days.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •