Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 491

Thread: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

  1. #401
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    That's the JP's claim, yeah.
    Can't get divorced if ya can't get married, huh?
    You can't cause car accidents if no one can drive either, but that's no reason to stop someone from getting a driver's license.


    The main reason second marriages end in divorce is due to the step-parent dynamic.

    I would passionately support legislation banning re-marriage when either or both people (same or opposite sex) have minor children; "equality" be damned.
    I'm sure many of us are glad that it's not up to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  2. #402
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    Can't get divorced if ya can't get married, huh?
    I guess so.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    You can't cause car accidents if no one can drive either, but that's no reason to stop someone from getting a driver's license.
    We restrict driver's licenses on high-risk drivers, though. Why not marriage? It's just another license...I mean the right to carry arms is specifically protected by the constitution and we place license restrictions on that right.

    Why don't we just tell mixed couples they can't be married while on school grounds and call it settled?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    I'm sure many of us are glad that it's not up to you.
    I don't think it's up to any single person at all, wouldn't you agree?
    Last edited by Jerry; 10-22-09 at 01:09 AM.

  3. #403
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    We restrict driver's licenses on high-risk drivers, though. Why not marriage? It's just another license...I mean the right to carry arms is specifically protected by the constitution and we place license restrictions on that right.

    Why don't we just tell mixed couples they can't be married while on school grounds and call it settled?
    You telling me this, and being the conservative, is just confusing to say the least.

    Are you telling me that the gov't can decide who you can marry and who you cannot, all the while still claiming to be a conservative?

    I don't think it's up to any single person at all, wouldn't you agree?
    And thank goodness for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  4. #404
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    Are you telling me that the gov't can decide who you can marry and who you cannot, all the while still claiming to be a conservative?
    I'm telling you the government already does, so why not direct that intent and regulation towards assuring more successful unions? Make it harder to marry and divorce for everyone so as to cover the high-risk demographics without singling them out. Some unions shouldn't occur, like second marriages with children, so further regulation is in order, imo.

  5. #405
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I'm telling you the government already does, so why not direct that intent and regulation towards assuring more successful unions? Make it harder to marry and divorce for everyone so as to cover the high-risk demographics without singling them out. Some unions shouldn't occur, like second marriages with children, so further regulation is in order, imo.
    Being a conservative, shouldn't you say something like, you know....Less government is good government? Why are you giving the government so much power to control people's lives?

    To borrow some familiar words that regular DP denizens should recognize: You aren't fooling anyone my left wing friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  6. #406
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    Being a conservative, shouldn't you say something like, you know....Less government is good government? Why are you giving the government so much power to control people's lives?

    To borrow some familiar words that regular DP denizens should recognize: You aren't fooling anyone my left wing friend.
    Since when is Conservatism about less government in any situation?

    You must be thinking of Libertarianism.

  7. #407
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Since when is Conservatism about less government in any situation?
    How about Fiscal Conservatives? How about the idea of limited government?

    You must be thinking of Libertarianism.
    Actually, I realize I'm wrong. You're most likely a social conservative or a Christian conservative. My mistake, carry on.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  8. #408
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    How about Fiscal Conservatives? How about the idea of limited government?
    How about it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    Actually, I realize I'm wrong. You're most likely a social conservative or a Christian conservative. My mistake, carry on.
    I get all confused with the various sub-types of Conservative the left keeps inventing for us. It's like calling yourself Native'American or African'American. In the same way that I'm just an American, I'm just a Conservative.

  9. #409
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    How silly. Preventing the marriage will not prevent interracial relationships, nor will it prevent the birth of mixed race children.

    They'll just do it out of wedlock.

    I'm sure that's a much better option for the children.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  10. #410
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    How about it?



    I get all confused with the various sub-types of Conservative the left keeps inventing for us. It's like calling yourself Native'American or African'American. In the same way that I'm just an American, I'm just a Conservative.
    Oh the libs are all for diversity in everything, except of course socialism.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •