Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 491

Thread: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

  1. #341
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    This is what I do while my WoW toon is in flight.

    He'll be landing shortly, no worries.
    Mentioning World of Warcraft isn't convincing me that your time is valuable.

    I couldn't care less about people's feewins, so you can stop right there.
    Contentment is integral to order. You care about order, you care about feelings by association.

    The Justice in question was concerned about children born to this couple, not children adopted by this couple.
    I don't see how that relates to the point.

    For example: Life comes first, because without it, there are no other freedoms. We're not discussing the mixed marriage of a couple who were aborted in the 3rd trimester for an obvious reason. Their own mother revoked their right to live, therefore so much less is it for some Justice to deny a marriage based on race.
    The nature of life and human identity in social and political terms is a philosophical question. The state defaults to the preferences of the non-ambiguous party in such matters. This doesn't relate at all.

    Second is the 2nd, because it protects the 1st.

    3rd is privacy, 4rd comes expression, 5th is association...and so on...
    Your admission that freedoms are important is a bit inconsistent with your earlier proposition that they should be shoved up my ass. You would have to develop that a bit more before it applies to anything being discussed in this thread. No one has provided a compelling argument for why the Justice's rationale is justified.

    I would agree if you had quoted this Justices actual reasons and shot them down one by one.
    My impression was that he denied them because of his concern for the children born and I did shoot that reason down. It stacks too many freedoms (and judicial rulings) against something speculative and contingent.

    According to the argument above, it would be illegal for a minister to refuse based on the fourteenth amendment.
    Ministers are given exemption because of their occupation. They are servants of their faith. State officials don't have the same rights because of their occupations. They are public servants.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 10-18-09 at 12:21 AM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  2. #342
    Owner/Admin
    Benevolent Dictator Schweddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    11,512
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    Please, other than just asserting that the justice can do whatever he pleases, what law grants him immunity from observing the equal protection clause?
    Please tell me the law that he HAS to sign the paper?

    Were your logic true, all ministers, some notaries (depend on state), and all JPs are forced to perform a marriage because they have that ability.

    If this is required, the state should pay him to do it.
    The state does not pay however, the persons getting married does.

    It is a service.
    As such, just like a doctor or blockbuster can refuse service to anyone.
    Last edited by Schweddy; 10-18-09 at 12:20 AM.
    If you analyse it, I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. -Ronald Reagan

    I am also known as "vauge".

  3. #343
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by vauge View Post
    Please tell me the law that he HAS to sign the paper?

    Were your logic true, all ministers, some notaries (depend on state), and all JPs are forced to perform a marriage because they have that ability.

    If this is required, the state should pay him to do it.
    The state does not pay however, the persons getting married does.

    It is a service.
    As such, just like a doctor or blockbuster can refuse service to anyone.
    State doesn't have to pay anyone a nickel once it is constitutional or federal law. No more need to play soft ball.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  4. #344
    Student SpotsCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Brandon, Mississippi
    Last Seen
    09-08-10 @ 06:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    275

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    According to the website of the Louisiana Secretary of State --

    Qualifications of Candidates

    The candidate shall be of good moral character, a qualified elector, be a resident of the ward and district from which elected and able to read and write the English language correctly. By the date of qualification in 2008, the candidate shall possess a high school diploma or its equivalent as determined by BESE.
    If you've got a GED and have never been convicted of a crime... you too can be a Louisiana Justice of the Peace!
    SpotsCat is a trademark of SpotsCat Intergalactic Enterprises LLC, All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized use of the exceptionally witty material contained herein shall be prostituted to the fullest extent. Trespassers will be shot.

  5. #345
    Owner/Admin
    Benevolent Dictator Schweddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    11,512
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    Ministers are given exemption because of their occupation. They are servants of their faith. State officials don't have the same rights because of their occupations. They are public servants.
    You do realize that JPs have *extremely* limited jurisdiction - right?

    They are the lowest jurisdiction there is.

    Marriages and warrants are about all they can really do. Some states allow JPs over small claims courts. Many states do not even require a high school education to be a JP.
    If you analyse it, I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. -Ronald Reagan

    I am also known as "vauge".

  6. #346
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by vauge View Post
    Please tell me the law that he HAS to sign the paper?

    Were your logic true, all ministers, some notaries (depend on state), and all JPs are forced to perform a marriage because they have that ability.

    If this is required, the state should pay him to do it.
    The state does not pay however, the persons getting married does.

    It is a service.
    As such, just like a doctor or blockbuster can refuse service to anyone.

    The signing of the paper is the carrying out of his authority; and the law saying he HAS to sign it for interracial couples is the US Constitution .... and state law, as the Senator and Governor stated. I already said I don't know the LA state laws (they're really different than anywhere else), however I do know the Constitutional violation, and that has been stated multiple times.


    Please tell me the law which grants him the exemption from the equal protection clause. You just keep asserting that he can do this because he wants to. That's not a legal argument.
    Last edited by jackalope; 10-18-09 at 12:33 AM.

  7. #347
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by SpotsCat View Post
    According to the website of the Louisiana Secretary of State --



    If you've got a GED and have never been convicted of a crime... you too can be a Louisiana Justice of the Peace!


    Breaking the law isn't exactly good moral character. Also, I believe someone said he had to get elected too. That's not true everywhere, but apparently where he lives, it is true.

  8. #348
    Owner/Admin
    Benevolent Dictator Schweddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    11,512
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    I do not see this as breaking the law. I do agree that his logic is very much flawed.

    I see this as his *right* to refuse to sign.

    He is performing a service. The state is already out of the equation after granting the license.
    Last edited by Schweddy; 10-18-09 at 12:35 AM.
    If you analyse it, I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. -Ronald Reagan

    I am also known as "vauge".

  9. #349
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by vauge View Post
    I do not see this as breaking the law. I do agree that his logic is very much flawed.

    I see this as his *right* to refuse to sign.

    He is performing a service. The state is already out of the equation after granting the license.
    No. Even the farthest reaches of the private sector are subject to the 14th amendment. This guy definitely is.

    There are a bunch of 14th-amendment based laws and rulings regarding employment, service, and business in general when race is involved.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  10. #350
    Owner/Admin
    Benevolent Dictator Schweddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    11,512
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    No. Even the farthest reaches of the private sector are subject to the 14th amendment. This guy definitely is.

    There are a bunch of 14th-amendment based laws and rulings regarding employment, service, and business in general when race is involved.
    There may be precedence that I am unaware of.

    Are you saying that a business man (which is what the JP really is), cannot refuse to sign a piece of paper on his own volition because race is involved?

    If so, what a sad world we live in.
    Last edited by Schweddy; 10-18-09 at 12:43 AM.
    If you analyse it, I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. -Ronald Reagan

    I am also known as "vauge".

Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •