Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 491

Thread: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

  1. #291
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    You just don't get it.

    If people can take away the Constitutional right of gays to marry in California by a simply majority 50%+1 vote....what is there next target?
    Gays have Domestic Partnership in CA...that's right, Prop8 did not take away the right of a gay couple to see each-other in the hospital, automatic inheritance/medical-proxy/spousal-privilege/child custody, etc.

    The only thing the law in CA has not given gays is a name "marriage", but they have all their rights.

    This demonstrates that the gay-marriage movement is not one of equality under the law, but of social equality, which is not something the courts can grant.

  2. #292
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post

    This demonstrates that the gay-marriage movement is not one of equality under the law, but of social equality, which is not something the courts can grant.
    But they could still grant them marriage instead of the "seperate but equal" crap they have now.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  3. #293
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    But they could still grant them marriage instead of the "seperate but equal" crap they have now.
    They could, yes, but they shouldn't.

    I must be a homophobe, right?

    Elton John Solved Gay Marriage Controversy:
    I don’t want to be married,” he told USA TODAY’s Donna Freydkin at a New York fundraiser last night. “I’m very happy with a civil partnership. If gay people want to get married, or get together, they should have a civil partnership,” said John. “The word marriage, I think, puts a lot of people off. You get the same equal rights that we do when we have a civil partnership. Heterosexual people get married. We can have civil partnerships.”

    Of his partner David Furnish, he says, “We’re not married. Let’s get that right. We have a civil partnership. What is wrong with Proposition 8 is that they went for marriage. Marriage is going to put a lot of people off, the word marriage.”
    Have your civil rights, that's fine, no problem.

    Leave "marriage" alone because it's an unnecessary controversy.

    The word has deep meaning and a rich history throughout human existence which the average person is not simply going to let go of.

    If gays win to many more battles they might loose the war.

  4. #294
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Bigamy means having one wife too many. I believe monogamy means the same.

    Why should only us straight dudes have to bear the pains of marriage?

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  5. #295
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Bigamy means having one wife too many. I believe monogamy means the same.

    Why should only us straight dudes have to bear the pains of marriage?
    Well if that's the angle you're taking then I'm jumping on board the "abolish all marriage completely" bus

  6. #296
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    They could, yes, but they shouldn't.

    I must be a homophobe, right?
    What's with the strawman?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Elton John Solved Gay Marriage Controversy:
    That's a British citizen's opinion on American law. I understand that he is trying to be pragmatic. I disagree that seperate but equal is necessary for expediency sake.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Have your civil rights, that's fine, no problem.

    Leave "marriage" alone because it's an unnecessary controversy.
    Let's not enslave blacks anymore, but let's not share restrooms and drinking fountains with them. It's unnecessary for "marriage" to be controversial at all. Only I define my marriage. Others are free to define theirs how they see fit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    The word has deep meaning and a rich history throughout human existence which the average person is not simply going to let go of.
    Half of marriages end in divorce. I wouldn't go so far to say that the meaning is all that deep in society's eyes. Being divorced isn't a stigma. The govt's involvement in marriage is just over 200 years old here, in America.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    If gays win to many more battles they might loose the war.
    This makes no sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  7. #297
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    They could, yes, but they shouldn't.

    I must be a homophobe, right?

    Elton John Solved Gay Marriage Controversy:


    Have your civil rights, that's fine, no problem.

    Leave "marriage" alone because it's an unnecessary controversy.

    The word has deep meaning and a rich history throughout human existence which the average person is not simply going to let go of.

    If gays win to many more battles they might loose the war.

    I assume then must also find no problem with states taking away the right to inter-racial marriage then....right Jerry. Just give them a "domestic partnership" and leave the term "marriage" for the protection of the sanctity of the pure race?
    Last edited by disneydude; 10-17-09 at 07:18 PM.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  8. #298
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    What's with the strawman?
    "Set-up", not straw-man.

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    That's a British citizen's opinion on American law. I understand that he is trying to be pragmatic. I disagree that seperate but equal is necessary for expediency sake.
    It's a gay man's opinion on gay relationships. Anyway he's correct about what happened, how people felt and why Pro8 failed, so really your point here is impotent.

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Let's not enslave blacks anymore, but let's not share restrooms and drinking fountains with them. It's unnecessary for "marriage" to be controversial at all. Only I define my marriage. Others are free to define theirs how they see fit.
    Oh spare me the drama

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Half of marriages end in divorce.
    Due to leftist morals and policies. All the more reason to shun the left.

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    This makes no sense.
    You don't understand because you weren't paying attention to the quote or the context of my argument.

  9. #299
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I assume then must also find no problem with states taking away the right to inter-racial marriage then....right Jerry. Just give them a "domestic partnership" and leave the term "marriage" for the protection of the sanctity of the pure race?
    IMO childless couple have no business being married. It does not matter if they are gay, straight, mixed, etc. All childless couples are equally worthless, hence no discrimination.

    We might create some legal package or special rights to assist monogamous couples who are not raising children, but that package would not be a right. Such a package would be like a driver's license: 'shall-issue' unless there is reason to revoke it. The state has no interest in promoting couples who are not raising children, and in fact violates that couples right to privacy when it does.
    Last edited by Jerry; 10-17-09 at 07:25 PM.

  10. #300
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    IMO childless couple have no business being married. It does not matter if they are gay, straight, mixed, etc. All childless couples are equally worthless, hence no discrimination.

    We might create some legal package or special rights to assist monogamous couples who are not raising children, but that package would not be a right. Such a package would be like a driver's license: 'shall-issue' unless there is reason to revoke it. The state has no interest in promoting couples who are not raising children, and in fact violates that couples right to privacy when it does.
    So you are fine then with requiring couples to either have a child prior to "marriage" or signing a contract that they agree that they will have children...as a precondition to "marriage"? Everyone else can't use the word and has to use the word "Domestic partnership"?

    Oh...and if the child dies and/or when the child is an adult, the marriage is then voided and reverts to a domestic partnership, right?
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •