Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 491

Thread: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

  1. #151
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    I really hope you pause and read that comment out loud, while looking in the mirror.
    The sheer LOL might create a quantum singularity.
    Any time you want to take over for him, be my quest...

  2. #152
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I accept your concession, understand that is is because you know you cannot counter my argument, and chuckle at the irrellevance of your comment, given the argument at hand.

    What argument? All race-based restrictions on marriage are illegal; bi-raciality (is that a word?) of children is a racial restriction. Not to mention incredibly freaking bigoted *shudder* (and incredibly freaking stupid .... does the moronic JOP think they give out sperm and eggs with marriage licenses, or turn on a switch or something?)
    Last edited by jackalope; 10-16-09 at 01:31 PM.

  3. #153
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    This goes back to the Racism that made the Democrat party famous when the KKK was born out of their way of thinking. Do your research and you'll see this is a historical fact, and that those who fought the civil rights movement were Dims. (no spell error) No they claim the high ground. I say this story is ans aberration and does not deserve the national attention it's getting. The Justice need to be removed end of story.

  4. #154
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    What argument? All race-based restrictions on marriage are illegal; bi-raciality (is that a word?) of children is a racial restriction. Not to mention incredibly freaking bigoted *shudder*
    YAWn...

    Here's what I said:

    [Given the conversations I've seen...]
    I was under the impression that "the welfare of the child" was a particulary compelling state interest, and as such, was a legitimate restraint on the exercise of any number of rights.

    Under what argument is marriage -- a right -- excluded from control by this compelling state interest?

    You may address the question at your leisure.

  5. #155
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    I don't use that term at all, perhaps I just view it in a negative way. I prefer 'mixed race'
    It is a scientific term and I don't really care what you prefer because it is silly feel good crap.

    "muĚlatĚto (m-lt, -lńt, my-)
    n. pl. muĚlatĚtos or muĚlatĚtoes
    1. A person having one white and one Black parent. See Usage Note at octoroon.
    2. A person of mixed white and Black ancestry.

    mulatto [mjuːˈlŠtəʊ]
    n pl -tos, -toes
    (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Genetics) (Social Science / Peoples) a person having one Black and one White parent.
    " - mulatto - definition of mulatto by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

    Hmmm nothing derogatory in the dictionary.

    Bunch of politically correct liberal crap as usual.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 10-16-09 at 01:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #156
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Who knows maybe a mixed race child could grow up to be President of the USA.

  7. #157
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    YAWn...

    Here's what I said:

    [Given the conversations I've seen...]
    I was under the impression that "the welfare of the child" was a particulary compelling state interest, and as such, was a legitimate restraint on the exercise of any number of rights.

    Under what argument is marriage -- a right -- excluded from control by this compelling state interest?

    You may address the question at your leisure.


    I'm sorry, but you have been provided multiple times with the proof that the actions here are illegal, and also statements completely rejecting your claim that preventing the birth of biracial children is a compelling (or even feasible) state interest.


    On what do you base your arguments? That you don't like biracial kids? On what do you base your argument that such bigotry is exempt from the ruling in Loving v Virginia?

  8. #158
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I'm sorry -- given discussions from the past, I was under the impression that "the welfare of the child" was a particulary compelling state interest, and as such, was a legitimate restraint on the exercise of any number of rights.

    I guess there's a fair amount of subjectivity behind said argument.
    Child welfare is always a state interest, but so is minimizing racism in a racially diverse society where peace and security are contigent on cordial relations between ethnic groups. Two ways of doing that are disintegration, which has been historically proven to be an inviable strategy, and co-habitation, which is the standard and has been more functional, for the most part.

    Beyond all this, the freedom of parenthood is at stake. While certain practices can be prohibited in order to preserve liberty in the long run, parenting is not generally one of them. The act of child-rearing has too many close associations with too many other important rights, like freedom of religion, privacy, equality, etc, for it to be easily and justfiably regulated by the government. While child welfare is emphasized to the utmost degree possible, there are serious limits on what the government is able to dictate and what it must accept and make the most of when it comes to individual parenting methods.

    I guess there's a fair amount of subjectivity behind said argument.
    There is really nothing subjective about it. The state is only interested in material harm. The practices which injure children or lead children into states of mind where they are likelier to hurt others are knowable and predictable.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 10-16-09 at 01:50 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  9. #159
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.



    O, I wish I was in the land of cotton
    Old times there are not forgotten
    Look away! Look away!
    Look away! Dixie Land.


    WTFrack... Is all I can say.
    What sociological dysfunction does he cite as the basis for his refusal?

  10. #160
    Guru
    Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    02-13-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,962

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Sorry that I wasnt clear in my query...

    In what case?
    Loving vs. Virginia. Had the Court found a compelling state interest to protect children from interracial marriage, they never would have ruled in favor of interracial marriage. They actually overturned a decision that was meant to stop interracial children from being born:

    "... the state court concluded that the State's legitimate purposes were 'to preserve the racial integrity of its citizens,' and to prevent 'the corruption of blood,' 'a mongrel breed of citizens,' and 'the obliteration of racial pride,' obviously an endorsement of the doctrine of White Supremacy."

    "There is patently no legitimate overriding purpose independent of invidious racial discrimination which justifies this classification. The fact that Virginia prohibits only interracial marriages involving white persons demonstrates that the racial classifications must stand on their own justification, as measures designed to maintain White Supremacy."

    The lower court found a compelling state interest to prevent racially mixed child from being born, the Supreme Court overturned it.

    FindLaw | Cases and Codes
    "Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." -Ronald Reagan

Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •