Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 491

Thread: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

  1. #111
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I'm sorry -- given discussions from the past, I was under the impression that "the welfare of the child" was a particulary compelling state interest, and as such, was a legitimate restraint on the exercise of any number of rights.

    I guess there's a fair amount of subjectivity behind said argument.
    14th Amendment....Loving vs Virginia.

  2. #112
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    14th Amendment....Loving vs Virginia.
    A I said:
    I was under the impression that "the welfare of the child" was a particulary compelling state interest, and I guess there's a fair amount of subjectivity behind said argument.

  3. #113
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    A I said:
    I guess there's a fair amount of subjectivity behind said argument.
    No there is not. Marriage is a right case closed.

  4. #114
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,263

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I think a great many people shouldn't reproduce. But there's not much I can do about that. heh

    But for this issue, I think it's one of the dangers of the marriage license. In fact, what the judge did here was exactly why the marriage license was first created. The marriage license should be done away with and marriage returned to a solely religious institution.
    So do you think that marriage licenses violate the 1st Amendment?

    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Most religions stipulate that a couple needs to be married prior to living together or having sex. Does the requirement to get a license prohibit you from getting married? Does it cause undue burden?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #115
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    No there is not. Marriage is a right case closed.
    So?

    I said:

    I was under the impression that "the welfare of the child" was a particulary compelling state interest, and as such, was a legitimate restraint on the exercise of any number of rights.

    Under what argument is marriage -- a right -- excluded from control by this compelling state interest?

    You people are going to have to make up your mind -- all this subjectivity is hard to follow.

  6. #116
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    You people are going to have to make up your mind -- all this subjectivity is hard to follow.
    So is your inability to see the utter absurdity of your argument, but I guess that's just the way it goes sometimes.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  7. #117
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    So do you think that marriage licenses violate the 1st Amendment?


    Most religions stipulate that a couple needs to be married prior to living together or having sex. Does the requirement to get a license prohibit you from getting married? Does it cause undue burden?
    I don't think you could make an infringement case, maybe but I've not thought about it in that context. Marriage at one time was solely religious, the government usurped it after the Civil War (surprise surprise). My main point is that it was designed and used for discrimination in the past and I don't believe that government has place dictating terms of the marriage. The only case you can make with government and marriage is for polygamy as Utah wasn't allowed into the Republic till they nixed it.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #118
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    So is your inability to see the utter absurdity of your argument, but I guess that's just the way it goes sometimes.
    I'm sorry:
    I was under the impression that "the welfare of the child" was a particulary compelling state interest, and as such, was a legitimate restraint on the exercise of any number of rights.

    Under what argument is marriage -- a right -- excluded from control by this compelling state interest?

  9. #119
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I'm sorry:
    I was under the impression that "the welfare of the child" was a particulary compelling state interest, and as such, was a legitimate restraint on the exercise of any number of rights.
    Ahhhhem Loving vs. Virgina.

  10. #120
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Libman View Post
    We need to get government out of marriage, period. A marriage is a voluntary contract between self-owning individuals - regardless of their ethnicity, health, age, gender, quantity, and so forth.
    I completely agree. Marriage should not be defined or recognized by the government. The only government documentation that could hint at two individuals being a couple is if they CHOOSE to file for a civil union tpye document for power of attorney and/or tax purposes.

    Other then that the government should have no part.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •