Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Results 101 to 109 of 109

Thread: Arctic ice cap 'to disappear in future summers'

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Arctic ice cap 'to disappear in future summers'

    Good job Middleground... but I fear you're wasting your efforts.

    Governments are already forming policy based on the issues of climate change, all the while the anti-Gore peons are too busy denying reality just so they can make a dig at their political enemies. You can't change the minds of partisans.

    The realists will continue doing their work on the global stage. We don't have to worry about things not getting done because fortunately the majority are sane in this case.

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Arctic ice cap 'to disappear in future summers'

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    Good job Middleground... but I fear you're wasting your efforts.

    Governments are already forming policy based on the issues of climate change, all the while the anti-Gore peons are too busy denying reality just so they can make a dig at their political enemies. You can't change the minds of partisans.

    The realists will continue doing their work on the global stage. We don't have to worry about things not getting done because fortunately the majority are sane in this case.
    Yea, the BBC, a NASA astronaut, and pro-AGW University professors...such partisans.

  3. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Arctic ice cap 'to disappear in future summers'

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    Wrong.

    2005 is now considered the warmest year.



    NASA - 2005 Warmest Year in Over a Century

    Apart from 2005, no year has registered a higher global temperature than 1998... since official temperature recordings began in the late 18's. So, yeah, compared to that freaky El Nino year, all else seems lesser (apart from 2005). Having said all of that, it does not mean that we are cooling. How can we be, when 7 of the last 10 years are in the top 10 hottest years since the late 18's??? There's plenty there, including this snippet:

    The University of East Anglia and the Met Office's Hadley Centre have released preliminary global temperature figures for 2007, which show the top 11 warmest years all occurring in the last 13 years. The provisional global figure for 2007 using data from January to November, currently places the year as the seventh warmest on records dating back to 1850.
    Other remarkable global climatic events recorded so far in 2007 include record-low Arctic sea ice extent, which led to first recorded opening of the Canadian Northwest Passage; the relatively small Antarctic Ozone Hole; development of La Nia in the central and eastern Equatorial Pacific; and devastating floods, drought and storms in many places around the world.


    Top 11 Warmest Years On Record Have All Been In Last 13 Years

    More here:

    Data @ NASA GISS: GISS Surface Temperature Analysis: Graphs




    I'd love to debate that, but we (collectively) can even agree that warming is real. Despite the strong and overwhelming evidence.



    First time I have read that from you (unless I missed it).



    I don't know. Some think that if it's snowing outside their window, then global warming is a bunch of bull.



    You stand corrected.
    A cooling trend which proceeds one of the hottest years on record will invariably contain the second, third, fourth, etc. hottest years; that doesn't preclude the possibility of a cooling trend.

    You could be right though, the BBC climate experts, the NASA astronaut / geophysicist, and the pro-AGW University professors could be totally mistaken

  4. #104
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,452
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Arctic ice cap 'to disappear in future summers'

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    A cooling trend which proceeds one of the hottest years on record will invariably contain the second, third, fourth, etc. hottest years; that doesn't preclude the possibility of a cooling trend.
    Oh yeah??? Where did you read that bit of scientific fact?

    1998, an El Nino year, was hot. But the thing about an El Nino, is that a La Nina usually follows. A La Nina is a trend caused by cooling oceans that usually lasts for 1-2 years. For instance, we experience an El Nino in 1994 and 1995, while in 2007 and 2008, we experienced a La Nina.

    You could be right though, the BBC climate experts, the NASA astronaut / geophysicist, and the pro-AGW University professors could be totally mistaken…
    I didn't make any of it up, and I am surprised that you think it's my work. It is not. My opinion is based-on hard... *ahem*... cold facts from legitimate sources. The globe is warming... the graph keep on going upwards.
    Last edited by Middleground; 10-16-09 at 05:36 PM.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  5. #105
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,452
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Arctic ice cap 'to disappear in future summers'

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Yea, the BBC, a NASA astronaut, and pro-AGW University professors...such partisans.
    There will always a select few that will not agree. The consensus is that the majority of scientific experts agree that warming is real.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  6. #106
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,452
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Arctic ice cap 'to disappear in future summers'

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    Good job Middleground... but I fear you're wasting your efforts.

    Governments are already forming policy based on the issues of climate change, all the while the anti-Gore peons are too busy denying reality just so they can make a dig at their political enemies. You can't change the minds of partisans.

    The realists will continue doing their work on the global stage. We don't have to worry about things not getting done because fortunately the majority are sane in this case.
    And I have little doubt that when global warming become as true in the minds of the general population as cigarettes causing cancer, the deniers will deny that they were deniers, LOL.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  7. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Arctic ice cap 'to disappear in future summers'

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    Arctic ice cap 'to disappear in future summers' - Yahoo! News

    Studies like this prove there is some level of global warming occurring in the world. What isn't proven is if this global warming is due to human interventions or just the natural cycle of the planet.

    It will be interesting to see exactly what effect the melting of the polar ice caps has on world wide weather and if those climate changes can in fact be linked back to he melting.
    We already died from global cooling in the 80s.

    Those few left alive died from bird-flue/SARS/west-nile/H1N1.

    Only Chuck Norris is left.

  8. #108
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Arctic ice cap 'to disappear in future summers'

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    We already died from global cooling in the 80s.

    Those few left alive died from bird-flue/SARS/west-nile/H1N1.

    Only Chuck Norris is left.


    Bravo! I love that Chuck Norris 6 degrees stuff.....


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #109
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Arctic ice cap 'to disappear in future summers'

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    Oh yeah??? Where did you read that bit of scientific fact?
    It's called math.

    If an oven heats up to 350 F (its hottest point) and is turned off it will invariably display the second (349 F), third (348 F), etc. hottest temperatures in the cycle despite the fact that it is cooling. Cooling does not mean cold, it just means colder than before. Not sure why this is so difficult to comprehend.

    1998, an El Nino year, was hot. But the thing about an El Nino, is that a La Nina usually follows. A La Nina is a trend caused by cooling oceans that usually lasts for 1-2 years. For instance, we experience an El Nino in 1994 and 1995, while in 2007 and 2008, we experienced a La Nina.
    What's your point?

    I didn't make any of it up, and I am surprise that you think it's my work. It is not. My opinion is based-on hard... *ahem*... cold facts from legitimate sources. The globe is warming... the graph keep on going upwards.
    Two BBC climate experts, a NASA astronaut / geophysicist, and PRO-AGW University professors are not credible sources...got it.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •