Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 300

Thread: Sources: Checketts to drop Limbaugh

  1. #251
    Student LowRevs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Downeast in NC
    Last Seen
    07-12-12 @ 04:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    272

    Re: Sources: Checketts to drop Limbaugh

    It's amazing how effective Rush can be, even without his conscious intent, to distill a discussion to it's primal core factors.

    The racism in this country is primarily on the left. The race baiting in this country is primarily on the left. It is exercized for political and financial gain by racists. THAT IS DESPICABLE!

    If you want to know if Rush is a racist ask Snerdly! It's just ridiculous.
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.--Thomas Jefferson

  2. #252
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Sharpton threatens suit against Limbaugh

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Here's the thing though. All the good principled liberals are essentially hiding behind a loophole in the law here, that effectively you're almost completely free to libel famous people because its harder to prove you actually did it.

    That doesn't change the actual facts of the matter from a definition, rather than legal, stand point in which the main argument most were using against Limbaugh since it was leaked he was part of the group ("He's a racist") was based on extremely poorly sourced, questionable quotes that were either 100% false or stated without context.

    So what you're basically saying is its completely fine to take extremely questionable factual information about famous people and contextless statements from them and foment rage within a population to screw them out of business ventures because they have less protection under the law.


    Looks like Limbaugh left extremely questionable behind and went for straight up lying in an op-ed he wrote about Sharpton:



    Sharpton threatens suit against Limbaugh

    Posted: October 17th, 2009 01:08 PM ET


    (snip ... ) In the op-ed published in Saturday's Wall Street Journal Limbaugh writes Sharpton "played a leading role in the 1991 Crown Heights riot (he called neighborhood Jews ‘diamond merchants’) and 1995 Freddie's Fashion Mart riot."

    The Crown Heights riot began after a Hasidic Rabbi accidently struck and killed an African American boy with his car. The boy died from the injuries–sparking four nights of riots. The Rabbi was not charged, but Sharpton played a large role in rallying on behalf of the young boy’s family and the African American community.

    According to a statement put out by Sharpton’s media consultant, a study New York Governor Mario Cuomo commissioned showed Sharpton was not involved in the Crown Heights incident until after the rioting concluded.

    more ...

    CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Sharpton threatens suit against Limbaugh - Blogs from CNN.com

  3. #253
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,990

    Re: Sharpton threatens suit against Limbaugh

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    Looks like Limbaugh left extremely questionable behind and went for straight up lying in an op-ed he wrote about Sharpton:
    Actually, no.

    Limbaugh went from crazy implication that Sharpton "Played a leading role" in regards to those things is an opinion, much like the opinion people presented that Rush Limbaugh is a rcaist

    Now, for this to be comparable, we'd need to know if the quote Limbaugh attributed to Sharpton was:

    1. Made up or factual
    2. What the context of it was

    Not to mention is that there is no question of any legitimate "harm" that has came to Sharpton regarding these comments, where a case could legitimately be potentially made for Rush.

    But golly, surprises of all surprises, when the constant crying and whining about the legal definition of things wouldn't benefit your argument suddenly you're silent on it. Really. I'm truly shocked. Honestly.

    However, your entire little premise is laughable and shows your bias throughout all of this, continuing still to act as if the things said about Limbaugh are simply "highly questionable" and not straight up lying in regards to the statements falsely associated with him.

  4. #254
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Sharpton threatens suit against Limbaugh

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Actually, no.

    Limbaugh went from crazy implication that Sharpton "Played a leading role" in regards to those things is an opinion, much like the opinion people presented that Rush Limbaugh is a rcaist

    Now, for this to be comparable, we'd need to know if the quote Limbaugh attributed to Sharpton was:

    1. Made up or factual
    2. What the context of it was

    Not to mention is that there is no question of any legitimate "harm" that has came to Sharpton regarding these comments, where a case could legitimately be potentially made for Rush.

    But golly, surprises of all surprises, when the constant crying and whining about the legal definition of things wouldn't benefit your argument suddenly you're silent on it. Really. I'm truly shocked. Honestly.

    However, your entire little premise is laughable and shows your bias throughout all of this, continuing still to act as if the things said about Limbaugh are simply "highly questionable" and not straight up lying in regards to the statements falsely associated with him.

    Sorry, no. You left a word off Limbaugh's quote - riot. Sharpton did not play a leading role or any role in the riot; he didn't get involved at all until after the riot ended, according to the article.

    The legal definition, if this article is correct, fits quite nicely and Limbaugh will lose the lawsuit, should it be filed.

    Limbaugh whines about being libeled and defamed, and turns around and does it himself. Standup dood


    and ps, the article and potential lawsuit are not about a Sharpton quote at all; they are about Limbaugh statements about Sharpton's actions.
    Last edited by jackalope; 10-17-09 at 06:02 PM.

  5. #255
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    01-21-10 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    744

    Re: Sharpton threatens suit against Limbaugh

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    Looks like Limbaugh left extremely questionable behind and went for straight up lying in an op-ed he wrote about Sharpton:
    His role was what was stated, he did indeed make the comment that the jews were ‘diamond merchants’. I would love for Sharpton to sue, but we all know he will never do that, as he would open his own self up to thorough review.

  6. #256
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,570

    Re: Sharpton threatens suit against Limbaugh

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    Sorry, no. You left a word off Limbaugh's quote - riot. Sharpton did not play a leading role or any role in the riot; he didn't get involved at all until after the riot ended, according to the article.

    The legal definition, if this article is correct, fits quite nicely and Limbaugh will lose the lawsuit, should it be filed.
    Sharpton would have to prove actual malice . . . remember?

    Making definitive statements about the outcome of potential lawsuits -- not smart.


    Limbaugh whines about being libeled and defamed, and turns around and does it himself. Standup dood
    Apparently not. I couldn't find a primary copy of the Girgenti Commission report Sharpton cites which supposedly exonerates him, but this book was written using it, and cites it -- and it paints rather a different picture of Sharpton's involvement during the riots than what Sharpton would have you believe.

    Crown Heights: Blacks, Jews, and the ... - Google Books

    Click on the page 38 link and start reading on page 36.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  7. #257
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Sharpton threatens suit against Limbaugh

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackboot View Post
    His role was what was stated, he did indeed make the comment that the jews were ‘diamond merchants’. I would love for Sharpton to sue, but we all know he will never do that, as he would open his own self up to thorough review.

    What does that have to do with anything? Per the article, Limbaugh said he was involved with the riots, and he was not involved until after the riots were over.

  8. #258
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Sharpton threatens suit against Limbaugh

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Sharpton would have to prove actual malice . . . remember?

    Making definitive statements about the outcome of potential lawsuits -- not smart.




    Apparently not. I couldn't find a primary copy of the Girgenti Commission report Sharpton cites which supposedly exonerates him, but this book was written using it, and cites it -- and it paints rather a different picture of Sharpton's involvement during the riots than what Sharpton would have you believe.

    Crown Heights: Blacks, Jews, and the ... - Google Books

    Click on the page 38 link and start reading on page 36.

    Because you couldn't find a paper doesn't mean it doesn't exist; and you're quite right, the burden of proof would be on Sharpton. He asserts he has that proof.

    As to my making definitive statements about the article, I did not. I said 'looks like' and 'according to the article' and other such language.

  9. #259
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,570

    Re: Sharpton threatens suit against Limbaugh

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    Because you couldn't find a paper doesn't mean it doesn't exist; and you're quite right, the burden of proof would be on Sharpton. He asserts he has that proof.
    SWEET CHRIST, do you ever read anything I write? Seriously, ever? Do you?

    I didn't say it doesn't exist. I said I couldn't find the primary source online, but that the book to which I linked cited it -- the report -- as ITS source. THEY read the report, and according to them, it says something different than what Sharpton claims.

    Is that clear enough for you?

    Besides, it's not as if it's the only definitive account of what happened. The events as related in the book are easily independently verifiable, especially if Sharpton held a press conference, giving the police an ultimatum, in the middle of the riots.

    As to my making definitive statements about the article, I did not. I said 'looks like' and 'according to the article' and other such language.
    Oh?

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    The legal definition, if this article is correct, fits quite nicely and Limbaugh will lose the lawsuit, should it be filed.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  10. #260
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Sharpton threatens suit against Limbaugh

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    SWEET CHRIST, do you ever read anything I write? Seriously, ever? Do you?


    To be honest, not often, and it is quite the rare occasion when I'll do more than scan, never mind read the whole thing.

    For this one, I stopped right after the yelling started.

    Carry on!

Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •