Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 300

Thread: Sources: Checketts to drop Limbaugh

  1. #171
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Sources: Checketts to drop Limbaugh

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No, that is not it at all.
    Actually, it is exactly it and until you can learn to stop lying, I'm not interested in a goddamned thing you have to say.

  2. #172
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Sources: Checketts to drop Limbaugh

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Looking at it closer.

    No, Rush Limbaugh does not have to "prove" that he didn't say the things they sayd he said.

    However

    As a public figure, for it to be libel/slander, you are correct in him having to prove that the person that published the information knew it was false or acted with reckless disregard to its truth.

    Now, reckless disregard is up to interpritation. Some may find requoting a line posted in a biased blog story, that reposts it from a biased book, a reckless disregard. I am unsure on what could argument could be made in regards to this if its shown that after announcing it to be false there was no further investigation by the author and no retraction or correction attempt made. Additionally, if any person in print or TV media continued using these quotes AFTER Limbaugh stated them false...giving reasonable reason to not take these things as truth...then you could also potentially have a case.

    So yes, from a definition stand point they most assuredly did libel and defame Limbaugh. From a law point, its a much more difficult case due to the way we treat public figures. However, unlike most cases of public figures, this one has a slightly more tangiable example of "harm" than simple "loss of reputation".

    So no, Limbaugh does not have to "prove" that those comments are false, but would need to prove they were stated knowing they were false or recklessly.

    Sorry, I searched google, and I've still yet to show anything that states that Limbaugh must "prove a negative" by "proving" that the statements are false. Nothing's came up with that so far from what I've seen. Only that he must prove damage and that it was done intentionally or recklessly.

    Since the media are sourcing a book, I'd imagine he'd have to prove the book made stuff up; probably in a he said - he said situation such as that, credibility of each of the parties, and notes, tapes, or any kind of sourcing that the author had would be relevant. It's an interesting case. However, as far as webpages sourcing the book, or media reporting it and sourcing it, Rush would have no case, I'd imagine.

    I think the cases against the author, and the ones against media reporting what is published in the book, would be different. If he's gonna sue the media for reporting what's in the book, I'd bet he has to prove it's a fabrication, that they published with malice intending to harm his reputation, and did so knowing the information was false (or the reckless disregard thing).


    And to bring it full circle, a poster posting such a link, sourcing a book, is well within the scope of acceptable sourcing. Particularly since the quotes in question are now in the media. I hear Rush is threatening to sue CNN and MSNBC over this. I hope he does. Could be interesting to watch.
    Last edited by jackalope; 10-16-09 at 02:58 PM.

  3. #173
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,317
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Sources: Checketts to drop Limbaugh

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    So you're saying that Limbaugh has to somehow account for every single positive thing he's ever said anywhere at all to somehow prove that he's telling the truth when he says "I never said that quote"?

    That doesn't make any sense at all.

    This isn't a case of someone saying "On July 14th 1991 you said the following...." and Limbaugh going "That's not true" where you can go check it.

    This is a case of someone saying "Limbaugh said this...." and Limbaugh going "No, I did not....".

    And you're saying that somehow the first person is automatically considered to be telling the truth unless Limbaugh can somehow "prove" that he never said something at any point during his entire life?

    This would be like a major news writer saying:

    "This quote from Barack Obama obviously shows that he's from Kenya

    'I was born and raised in Kenya, not in Hawaii'

    Obviously, we now have proof that Obama is from Kenya, from his own quote"

    and that somehow, some way, that should be considered TRUTH unless Obama can somehow prove he never said those words?
    It's "innocent until proven guilty". Since Limbaugh would be making the charge in court, he would have to prove that what is said about him is both inaccurate, and known to be inaccurate.

    Again though, we might want to shelve this until a lawyer shows up, since I would bet we are both wrong in some ways, and RightInNYC can clear it up clearly.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #174
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,317
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Sources: Checketts to drop Limbaugh

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Actually, it is exactly it and until you can learn to stop lying, I'm not interested in a goddamned thing you have to say.
    Good idea there. When you got nothing, feign even more outrage so you are not speaking to me, so you don't actually have to defend your foolishness. Very clever of you, in a vile sort of way.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #175
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Sources: Checketts to drop Limbaugh

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    It's "innocent until proven guilty". Since Limbaugh would be making the charge in court, he would have to prove that what is said about him is both inaccurate, and known to be inaccurate.

    Again though, we might want to shelve this until a lawyer shows up, since I would bet we are both wrong in some ways, and RightInNYC can clear it up clearly.

    Here's an examiner article from last night on whether or not Rush has a case. Interesting read:

    Rush Limbaugh accuses CNN and MSNBC of repeating libelous lies

  6. #176
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Sources: Checketts to drop Limbaugh

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Good idea there. When you got nothing, feign even more outrage so you are not speaking to me, so you don't actually have to defend your foolishness. Very clever of you, in a vile sort of way.
    Oh piss off. You have done nothing but attempt to impugn the characters of your opponents and confess that you have no problem with lying to make digs at political opponents. Your credibility is nil so why would I have any interest in listening to more of your vile lies and distortions?

    Oh that's right...I'm not.

    See, it isn't all that selective. It's equal opportunity outrage at liars.

  7. #177
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,317
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Sources: Checketts to drop Limbaugh

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    Here's an examiner article from last night on whether or not Rush has a case. Interesting read:

    Rush Limbaugh accuses CNN and MSNBC of repeating libelous lies
    From that source:

    He would have to show the media was not merely “sloppy” in their reporting, but willfully misrepresenting the facts with the intent of damaging his reputation.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #178
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Sources: Checketts to drop Limbaugh

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    Really I guess you don't know much about the NFL first off they would love to have his money and so would the city of St.Lo, second as far as the Image thing please don't even go their.

    I suggest all of you including Roger take a look in his own backyard first.

    Enjoy reading this website.

    NFL Crimes NewsBlog
    roger goodell has been doing his best to clean up the image of the nfl. the nfl doesn't need his money, there will be plenty of others lined up to take his place. rush was going to be a minority owner, so really, i guess you don't much either.

    but thanks for tipping your hand.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  9. #179
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Sources: Checketts to drop Limbaugh

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    It's "innocent until proven guilty". Since Limbaugh would be making the charge in court, he would have to prove that what is said about him is both inaccurate, and known to be inaccurate.

    Again though, we might want to shelve this until a lawyer shows up, since I would bet we are both wrong in some ways, and RightInNYC can clear it up clearly.

    Right's not a lawyer , or at least, I've gotten the impression he has not grad'd law school and passed a bar exam.


    (However, I do like to read his law postings, I have to say.)

  10. #180
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,317
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Sources: Checketts to drop Limbaugh

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Oh piss off. You have done nothing but attempt to impugn the characters of your opponents and confess that you have no problem with lying to make digs at political opponents. Your credibility is nil so why would I have any interest in listening to more of your vile lies and distortions?

    Oh that's right...I'm not.

    See, it isn't all that selective. It's equal opportunity outrage at liars.
    Except that is all lies. Hypocrisy is something you are known for, and it raises it's head again. It's funny how you complain about people misrepresenting Rush(which I have not done), and yet you are quick to make up stuff about me. That is truly selective outrage.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •