Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 143

Thread: Support Grows to End 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell'

  1. #71
    Professor
    Joe1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    TX
    Last Seen
    04-22-14 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,829

    Re: Support Grows to End 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell'

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Wall Street Journal, August 6, 2002

    But this thread isn't about Somalia. However, I'd be happy to pursue this subject with you on the military board, if you'd like.
    Yes, we can discuss another time, but I'll just mention that that is a WSJ opinion piece.

    The facts that Bush 41 sent troops in, and that Clinton pulled troops out is not in dispute by anyone. Your argument will be reduced to arguing tactics and if the mission should have continued with even more dead US soldiers.

  2. #72
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Support Grows to End 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell'

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    9 months isn't OVERNIGHT.

    Is there anything he could do that you might criticize? Just hoping for some objectivity here.
    I've already given several.

    What do you think the answer is?

    Should Obama send in more troops and subject our military to another endless 5-6-7 tours of duty?
    Bush has already broken and over-extended our military to the point of exhaustion....

    Or do we completely pull-out?

    Obviously...continuing with the same old failed Bush plan is not the answer...but again....the people crying the loudest for Obama to do something are the same ones (for the most part) who sat silent under GWB's lack of a plan.

    What is the answer?
    Last edited by disneydude; 10-12-09 at 11:43 AM.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  3. #73
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Support Grows to End 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell'

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    I think they will be waiting for awhile before a coherent plan is formulated. Obama, unfortunately, seems to be more concerned about his image than about doing what is right. I don't agree with DADT in any way, but I think his timing on trying to end it has more to do with him caring about his image and the fact that he doesn't like being criticized for his inaction. Meanwhile, our troops are in harms way waiting for him to make a decision. I'm honestly curious how anyone can defend this.



    Exactly....
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  4. #74
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Support Grows to End 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell'

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe1991 View Post
    Yes, we can discuss another time, but I'll just mention that that is a WSJ opinion piece.

    The facts that Bush 41 sent troops in, and that Clinton pulled troops out is not in dispute by anyone. Your argument will be reduced to arguing tactics and if the mission should have continued with even more dead US soldiers.



    If we had the appropriate CAS as requested by those on the ground, there would be less dead US soldiers, not more in Somalia.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Support Grows to End 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell'

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Should Obama send in more troops and subject our military to another endless 5-6-7 tours of duty?
    Bush has already broken and over-extended our military to the point of exhaustion....

    Or do we completely pull-out?

    Obviously...continuing with the same old failed Bush plan is not the answer...but again....the people crying the loudest for Obama to do something are the same ones (for the most part) who sat silent under GWB's lack of a plan.

    What is the answer?
    I don't know what the answer is, but then, it's not my job to know. It IS Obama's job.

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Support Grows to End 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell'

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe1991 View Post
    Your argument will be reduced to arguing tactics and if the mission should have continued with even more dead US soldiers.
    Clinton left forces in Somalia and committed additional forces WITHOUT sufficient armaments/armor, and WITHOUT direction as to the goals of their mission.

  7. #77
    Professor
    Joe1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    TX
    Last Seen
    04-22-14 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,829

    Re: Support Grows to End 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell'

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    If we had the appropriate CAS as requested by those on the ground, there would be less dead US soldiers, not more in Somalia.
    I will agree that hindsight will show that better tactical decisions could have been made.

    But I think most people would agree that sending troops into Somolia was a bad decision and getting them out before more died was the right choice.

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Support Grows to End 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell'

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe1991 View Post
    I will agree that hindsight will show that better tactical decisions could have been made.

    But I think most people would agree that sending troops into Somolia was a bad decision and getting them out before more died was the right choice.
    At this point, Obama has shown less decisiveness than Clinton did.

  9. #79
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Support Grows to End 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell'

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe1991 View Post
    I will agree that hindsight will show that better tactical decisions could have been made.

    But I think most people would agree that sending troops into Somolia was a bad decision and getting them out before more died was the right choice.


    hindsight? It was known the minute he crap hit the fan. He refused the request for air support. Americans were killed.


    Hindsight has nothing to do with this atrocity by a sitting president.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  10. #80
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Support Grows to End 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell'

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    hindsight? It was known the minute he crap hit the fan. He refused the request for air support. Americans were killed.


    Hindsight has nothing to do with this atrocity by a sitting president.
    ... maybe we should just get rid of the republic and have a military dictatorship. That's pretty much the only way for things to work according to your specifications.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •