Page 54 of 61 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast
Results 531 to 540 of 605

Thread: Obama reaffirms will end "Don't ask Don't tell"

  1. #531
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Seen
    11-15-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    802

    Re: Obama reaffirms will end "Don't ask Don't tell"

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    Jeeze ****ing xhrist folks what part of this don't you understand if the President could have just signed and excutive Order why didn't Mr. Clinton just do this back in 1996 huh , now before making another post all of you keep saying that the President and Congress can change the UCMJ then why didn't they do it back in 1996.
    Why don't they legalize rape and murder (to pull an apdst)? Political reasons. First, you have to have something that congress sees as worth passing. Although I'm sure there's plenty of good arguments for legalizing rape and murder, I think it would be a tough sell to convince enough of our politicians that they should legalize it to get the necessary votes.

    And even if the politicians do favor legalizing rape and murder, they have their jobs to think about. If they vote for rape and murder they're probably not getting reelected.

    So to answer your question, political reasons. Remember that the public was more opposed to gays in the military in 1996 than they are now. Congress had the authority to change it in 1996 just like they do now. But authority alone doesn't change laws.

  2. #532
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,499

    Re: Obama reaffirms will end "Don't ask Don't tell"

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Probably the same restrictions on their authority that would disallow them from making rape and murder legal.
    Which are? I asked you to be specific.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  3. #533
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,499

    Re: Obama reaffirms will end "Don't ask Don't tell"

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    Jeeze ****ing xhrist folks what part of this don't you understand if the President could have just signed and excutive Order why didn't Mr. Clinton just do this back in 1996 huh , now before making another post all of you keep saying that the President and Congress can change the UCMJ then why didn't they do it back in 1996.
    For the THIRD time, I explained in this post here:

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1058301028

    exactly how DADT came into being.

    You've ignored it every time.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  4. #534
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Obama reaffirms will end "Don't ask Don't tell"

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Which are? I asked you to be specific.
    Why? Because they can only legally repeal laws that no longer apply. Such as laws that tell you where you can, or cannot tie your horse. No need for those laws anymore.

    DADT ain't goin' nowhere. If you all want to keep believing that it's because the Libbo Dems are chicken****, then that's perfectly fine by me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #535
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,499

    Re: Obama reaffirms will end "Don't ask Don't tell"

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Why? Because they can only legally repeal laws that no longer apply. Such as laws that tell you where you can, or cannot tie your horse. No need for those laws anymore.

    DADT ain't goin' nowhere. If you all want to keep believing that it's because the Libbo Dems are chicken****, then that's perfectly fine by me.
    You haven't answered the question. You say there are "restrictions" on the authority of Congress to repeal laws.

    You haven't said what they are.

    What are they? Specifically? Just answer.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  6. #536
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Obama reaffirms will end "Don't ask Don't tell"

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    You haven't answered the question. You say there are "restrictions" on the authority of Congress to repeal laws.

    You haven't said what they are.

    What are they? Specifically? Just answer.
    It's called, "malfeasance in office", committing an unlawful act, in an official capacity. I thought you would figure it out, but I guess not. Repealing laws that were inacted for the sake of public safety, such as rape, murder, theft, could be considered malfeasance. Therefore, Congress doesn't have the authority to repeal such laws.

    The thing I don't get, is if DADT is so wrong, why hasn't it been taken to the Supreme Court? That should be an easy win, too. Why hasn't it happened?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #537
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,499

    Re: Obama reaffirms will end "Don't ask Don't tell"

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It's called, "malfeasance in office", committing an unlawful act, in an official capacity. I thought you would figure it out, but I guess not. Repealing laws that were inacted for the sake of public safety, such as rape, murder, theft, could be considered malfeasance. Therefore, Congress doesn't have the authority to repeal such laws.
    Oh? Where's the provision -- of anything -- which defines "malfeasance in office" for Congress? Where does it proscribe repealing certain laws and not others?

    Again, be specific.


    The thing I don't get, is if DADT is so wrong, why hasn't it been taken to the Supreme Court? That should be an easy win, too. Why hasn't it happened?
    I don't care if it's done one way or the other. I'm only discussing whether or not it can be done. It can. Any time Congress wants.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  8. #538
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Obama reaffirms will end "Don't ask Don't tell"

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Oh? Where's the provision -- of anything -- which defines "malfeasance in office" for Congress? Where does it proscribe repealing certain laws and not others?

    Again, be specific.




    I don't care if it's done one way or the other. I'm only discussing whether or not it can be done. It can. Any time Congress wants.
    Are you seriously suggesting that Congress is imune of charges of malfeasance?

    If Congress abolished a law that was in place for the sake pf public safety, it would be obvious malfeasance. It ain't rocket science.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #539
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,499

    Re: Obama reaffirms will end "Don't ask Don't tell"

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Are you seriously suggesting that Congress is imune of charges of malfeasance?
    I'm suggesting you can't point to a single restriction on Congress which stops them from repealing a law which isn't "outdated." Period.

    Because it doesn't exist.

    If Congress abolished a law that was in place for the sake pf public safety, it would be obvious malfeasance. It ain't rocket science.
    Shouldn't be too hard to find that codified restriction, now, should it?

    If you actually ever do have a JAG friend read this thread -- and I'm guessing you won't -- be prepared to be laughed at. This is some of the rankest stupidity I've seen on this board, and that's saying something.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  10. #540
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,499

    Re: Obama reaffirms will end "Don't ask Don't tell"

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    Jeeze ****ing xhrist folks what part of this don't you understand if the President could have just signed and excutive Order why didn't Mr. Clinton just do this back in 1996 huh , now before making another post all of you keep saying that the President and Congress can change the UCMJ then why didn't they do it back in 1996.
    For the THIRD time, I explained in this post here:

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1058301028

    exactly how DADT came into being.

    You've ignored it every time.
    And, he's ignoring it again.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

Page 54 of 61 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •