Page 33 of 61 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 605

Thread: Obama reaffirms will end "Don't ask Don't tell"

  1. #321
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,445

    Re: Obama reaffirms will end "Don't ask Don't tell"

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    So why should the rules be any different for the gays that are already serving under DADT should DADT get revoked?
    That's the foolishness of the whole DADT debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #322
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Obama reaffirms will end "Don't ask Don't tell"

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    That's the foolishness of the whole DADT debate.
    Just because someone can say hey I'm gay it is foolish?

    What if some straight soldier collected barbi dolls?

  3. #323
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama reaffirms will end "Don't ask Don't tell"

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I would be happy to see women in combat arms units, as long as they were all female units.
    There is already evidence that co-ed small units are effective. Who were those women MPs that helped blast a 20-man jihadi assualt team pulling convoy security detail? They rock! And they were co-ed.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I think it would be bad policy to force soldiers to accept situations that are outside their upbringing. Telling soldiers that they have to stop being Americans and be somone else that is more PC acceptable would have a negative outcome, IMO.
    Bullcrap! (is that acceptable on this forum? ) The Army has led cultural change in the past and it can do so now and in the future. Changing this culture doesn't change soldiers from being Americans, it makes them Americans. And it certainly is not Political Correctness. It's just a little nudity. No big deal. Let's get real.
    Last edited by reefedjib; 10-12-09 at 02:46 PM.

  4. #324
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,445

    Re: Obama reaffirms will end "Don't ask Don't tell"

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    There is already evidence that co-ed small units are effective. Who were those women MPs that helped blast a 20-man jihadi assualt team pulling convoy security detail? They rock! And they were co-ed.
    And, if they were all male, or all female, they would be even better.



    Bullcrap! (is that acceptable on this forum? ) The Army has led cultural change in the past and it can do so now and in the future. Changing this culture doesn't change soldiers from being Americans, it makes them Americans. And it certainly is not Political Correctness. It's just a little nudity. No big deal. Let's get real.
    It's the military's job to protect this country, not change the culture. The military is no place for a social experiment. You're probably right, it won't have a negative effect, but I don't think it's worth it, if you're wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #325
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,316
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama reaffirms will end "Don't ask Don't tell"

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    There is already evidence that co-ed small units are effective. Who were those women MPs that helped blast a 20-man jihadi assualt team pulling convoy security detail? They rock! And they were co-ed.



    Bullcrap! (is that acceptable on this forum? ) The Army has led cultural change in the past and it can do so now and in the future. Changing this culture doesn't change soldiers from being Americans, it makes them Americans. And it certainly is not Political Correctness. It's just a little nudity. No big deal. Let's get real.
    I gave you your first "thanks" for that post. The military when it changed the rules allowing integrated units went through a much worse time than removing DADT would cause, and now the military is a great example of how good race relations can be. There are still occasional issues, but you put a lot of people together in a high stress environment, there simply is going to be issues of some sort. The research suggests that this change would not cause a reduction in unit readiness or ability.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #326
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama reaffirms will end "Don't ask Don't tell"

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    Heya, reefe, nice to meetcha and welcome to DP!

    I don't remember the answer for your first question, but if you ask down in the 'Come in and say Hi' forum, or the 'Feedback/Suggestions' forum someone will come along and help you.

    As to your second question, you can check in your User CP, or the newest post list down at the bottom, but I like to look in the 'Today's Posts' link in the 'Quick Links' dropdown menu below and to the left of your name in the upper right corner.
    Hi Jackalope,

    Thanks for your reply. I said hello in the 'Come in and say Hi' forum and asked my questions. I since found out how to turn off those annoying emails (in 'Edit Options') and so I now that's good.

    I see know that a reply auto-subscribes me and the User CP shows Subscribed Threads with new posts. Learning my way around.

    Thanks!

  7. #327
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,445

    Re: Obama reaffirms will end "Don't ask Don't tell"

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Just because someone can say hey I'm gay it is foolish?

    What if some straight soldier collected barbi dolls?
    Straight soldiers don't walk into the barracks and yell, "I'm straight!". Is this about giving gay soldiers the same rights, or just shoving a PC agenda down people's throats? It would sound better if the latter didn't appear to be true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #328
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,316
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama reaffirms will end "Don't ask Don't tell"

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    And, if they were all male, or all female, they would be even better.
    Speculation that I disagree with.


    It's the military's job to protect this country, not change the culture. The military is no place for a social experiment. You're probably right, it won't have a negative effect, but I don't think it's worth it, if you're wrong.
    The culture in the country has changed, it's time for the military to catch up. It is no experiment, it has happened. When I went to high school, there where zero openly gay people, now the same high school has a fair number.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #329
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,316
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama reaffirms will end "Don't ask Don't tell"

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Straight soldiers don't walk into the barracks and yell, "I'm straight!". Is this about giving gay soldiers the same rights, or just shoving a PC agenda down people's throats? It would sound better if the latter didn't appear to be true.
    According to the research I posted a link to, looking at the experiences of military personnel in countries that allow openly gay people to serve, most gays are still not open about it, and those that are are mostly pretty circumspect about the whole thing.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #330
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,445

    Re: Obama reaffirms will end "Don't ask Don't tell"

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Speculation that I disagree with.
    It's not speculation. History has proven it to be so. Some of the toughest units in the Soviet Army during WW2, were all female units.




    The culture in the country has changed, it's time for the military to catch up. It is no experiment, it has happened. When I went to high school, there where zero openly gay people, now the same high school has a fair number.
    This ain't high school. This is the armed forces. If you're wrong, people can die. It's not worth it just to push some Libbos wet dream of straight soldiers being forced to accept gay soldiers living in their barracks, because that's what it's really all about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 33 of 61 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •