Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: The truth about Shona Holmes

  1. #11
    Educator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    05-01-12 @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    962

    Re: The truth about Shona Holmes

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    Citing the nature of a Rathke's cyst in general does not mean they are violating her privacy.

    And I never mentioned the word cancer. Go back and re-read.
    Don't need to. You did say she specifically claimed it was malignant. Tell me what the difference is between a malignant tumor and cancer.



    Accusing me of fabricating info is in poor style especially when you evidently didn't even read the OP article.

    I made no such assumption. You claiming that that's what I'm saying is your assumption and nothing more.
    What assumption? I'm going off exactly what you have stated.

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius
    She claimed outright that the tumor was malign[sic]
    .
    So did she claim she had a malignant tumor or not and if so, do you not know that stating a tumor is malignant is synonymous with saying a tumor is cancerous?

    And also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Orius
    Her doctors said it was benign and non-fatal
    When in fact all the article states is that the clinic made no claim that her condition was fatal. A spokesman for the clinic is not the same as her doctors who would be in violation of privacy laws if they specifically spoke to the media about her case. In addition, saying that someone makes "no claim" that something is true does not necessarily make it false. Logic 101.

    Question: Does this person have a fatal tumor?
    Answer: No comment
    Your interpretation: Then it must be benign!
    Last edited by Cremaster77; 10-04-09 at 12:18 AM.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: The truth about Shona Holmes

    Quote Originally Posted by Cremaster77 View Post
    Don't need to. You did say she specifically claimed it was malignant. Tell me what the difference is between a malignant tumor and cancer.
    Malignant isn't cancerous necessarily. That would mean that all tumors classified as malign are ones that have metastasized, which is simply not true. Malign just means "bad". A non-metastasized tumor can still press against the brain and cause death in cases where it is non-operable; this would make it malignant but not cancerous.

    Also note the difference between a cyst and a tumor. They are not the same thing. Shona Holmes indicated to U.S. media that her illness was a tumor, which is in fact a lie.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cremaster77 View Post
    What assumption? I'm going off exactly what you have stated.
    No. You're going off of your assumption that malignant automatically means cancerous. The word "cancer" did not appear anywhere in anything I said. You were the one that brought it up. Stop trying to be right when you've already been proven incorrect.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cremaster77 View Post
    So did she claim she had a malignant tumor or not and if so, do you not know that stating a tumor is malignant is synonymous with saying a tumor is cancerous?
    Her claim is a lie from the get-go, because she did not have a brain tumor but a cyst. The procedure for treating them is completely different. One requires laceration and drainage, the other requires untangling adjacent tissues from the tumor body without causing irreparable damage.

    Secondly... it is not synonymous with cancer. You are wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cremaster77 View Post
    When in fact all the article states is that the clinic made no claim that her condition was fatal. A spokesman for the clinic is not the same as her doctors who would be in violation of privacy laws if they specifically spoke to the media about her case. In addition, saying that someone makes "no claim" that something is true does not necessarily make it false. Logic 101.

    Question: Does this person have a fatal tumor?
    Answer: No comment
    Your interpretation: Then it must be benign!
    I won't cater to your apologist attitude for this woman anymore.

    Debate with someone who cares. Bye.

  3. #13
    Educator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    05-01-12 @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    962

    Re: The truth about Shona Holmes

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    Malignant isn't cancerous necessarily. That would mean that all tumors classified as malign are ones that have metastasized, which is simply not true. Malign just means "bad". A non-metastasized tumor can still press against the brain and cause death in cases where it is non-operable; this would make it malignant but not cancerous.

    Also note the difference between a cyst and a tumor. They are not the same thing. Shona Holmes indicated to U.S. media that her illness was a tumor, which is in fact a lie.



    No. You're going off of your assumption that malignant automatically means cancerous. The word "cancer" did not appear anywhere in anything I said. You were the one that brought it up. Stop trying to be right when you've already been proven incorrect.
    Secondly... it is not synonymous with cancer. You are wrong.
    Dude, you're going to lose this argument badly if you keep up with the malignant is not cancerous track. Malignant does not mean metastastic. those are separate concepts even though most malignant tumors have the capability to metastasize. Nor is a life-threatening benign tumor considered malginant just because it's life-threatening. A malignant tumor and a cancer in medical terminology are interchangable. According to the NIH...

    Benign tumors aren't cancer while malignant ones are.

    I see now that your mistake was not one of fabrication but of ignorance. I think I'll take the word of the NIH over yours regarding what a malignant tumor is.

  4. #14
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Seen
    11-15-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    802

    Re: The truth about Shona Holmes

    I hate Canada. Due to their proximity, many people are either incapable or unwilling of looking at other socialized medical programs in other countries. Pretty much every industrialized country on Earth other than the U.S. has a socialized medical system. They don't all have the same problems, nor do they all work the same. Canada in particular has a system that would not work well in the U.S. That's probably one reason a Canadian style system is not being proposed by politicians for the U.S.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •