Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 61

Thread: US relinquishes control of the internet

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: US relinquishes control of the internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    It's not "incredibly stupid" for the nation that's hosting it.

    Now, I certainly expect people from other countries to say "why SHOULD you have it????"

    Well, we built it. It gives us a powerful advantage. I don't feel guilty about having advantages like that. But I do know that some do.
    I feel the same way. If Al Gore was willing to give it to us after he invented it, then we should keep the thing.

    To Orius's post: the servers that drive the "internet" are not all in one place. They are spread out all over the world. There is no diminished risk factor in letting other countries have control over our resources where the internet is concerned.

    And by all means, they can create their own forked internets to compete with us if they want. We are still at an advantage because they are competing with us as THE standard.

  2. #12
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: US relinquishes control of the internet

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    I feel the same way. If Al Gore was willing to give it to us after he invented it, then we should keep the thing.

    To Orius's post: the servers that drive the "internet" are not all in one place. They are spread out all over the world. There is no diminished risk factor in letting other countries have control over our resources where the internet is concerned.

    And by all means, they can create their own forked internets to compete with us if they want. We are still at an advantage because they are competing with us as THE standard.
    Jall....I gotta keep you honest here. Sorry. But you rail on people who misquote Palin e.g. "I can see Russia from my house"....
    and then you turn around and do the same thing yourself with Al Gore?

    C'mon Jall.....you're better than that.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: US relinquishes control of the internet

    The economy is globalizing but the way the internet works is not. An example from the article is that countries want to be able to type web addresses in their own language, and not have to rely on the latin alphabet. The relinquishing of some control will let the developers in other countries give their input into how the internet is organized and formatted... I don't see what's wrong with that.

    In today's world the internet connects everyone, so why should only one country get to determine its evolution? I personally welcome the innovation of other countries, it will make the internet way more interesting than it already is.

  4. #14
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,529

    Re: US relinquishes control of the internet

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    I feel the same way. If Al Gore was willing to give it to us after he invented it, then we should keep the thing.

    To Orius's post: the servers that drive the "internet" are not all in one place. They are spread out all over the world. There is no diminished risk factor in letting other countries have control over our resources where the internet is concerned.

    And by all means, they can create their own forked internets to compete with us if they want. We are still at an advantage because they are competing with us as THE standard.
    And keep in mind, the US government has maintained a nearly completely hands-off approach. My guess is few, if any, other bodies on Earth would do the same, especially considering how much blockage we already see in various places.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  5. #15
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,529

    Re: US relinquishes control of the internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    The economy is globalizing but the way the internet works is not. An example from the article is that countries want to be able to type web addresses in their own language, and not have to rely on the latin alphabet. The relinquishing of some control will let the developers in other countries give their input into how the internet is organized and formatted... I don't see what's wrong with that.
    No reason that can't be accommodated under the previous scheme.


    In today's world the internet connects everyone, so why should only one country get to determine its evolution?
    Because it gives us a tremendous advantage. There need be no other reason.


    I personally welcome the innovation of other countries, it will make the internet way more interesting than it already is.
    It's already a completely open field for innovation. But it may not be following this.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: US relinquishes control of the internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Because it gives us a tremendous advantage. There need be no other reason.
    What advantages, specifically?

  7. #17
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,529

    Re: US relinquishes control of the internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    What advantages, specifically?
    The advantages are obvious.

    If they weren't, you wouldn't be suggesting that no one country should control it.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: US relinquishes control of the internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    The advantages are obvious.

    If they weren't, you wouldn't be suggesting that no one country should control it.
    It's not obvious to me.

    What advantages are we talking about?

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: US relinquishes control of the internet

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Jall....I gotta keep you honest here. Sorry. But you rail on people who misquote Palin e.g. "I can see Russia from my house"....
    and then you turn around and do the same thing yourself with Al Gore?

    C'mon Jall.....you're better than that.
    It's called a sarcastic joke. Learn it, live it, love it.

    And yes, today is a very very Bad Stitch day.

  10. #20
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: US relinquishes control of the internet

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    And yes, today is a very very Bad Stitch day.

    Now that's my Jallman!
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •