1. General McChrystal told 60 Minutes yesterday that he has only spoken with President Obama ONCE since taking over command in Afghanistan.
3. Obama has spent more time with LETTERMAN than he's given his hand picked general.
4. The president, since the campaign, certainly appears NOT to be very interested in this "right war," HIS chosen battlefield.
5. Despite record and growing numbers of deaths of US soldiers.
U.S. death toll in Afghanistan ties record
6. For all appearances the president is covering his rather large ears while loudly repeating, "I can't hear you, I can't hear you," so as to remain purposely uninformed of his generals' demands for new strategies and an increased commitment of troops.
7. We know that McChrystal on August 30 delivered to the White House an assessment direly direct in its determination of the commander's needs.
McChrystal: More Forces or 'Mission Failure'
8. And then the president rampaged the Sunday talks 3 weeks later, Septempter 20, to claim to all concerned that he was still awaiting word from his warriors, none of whom to date, he dissembled, had requested reinforcements.
9. We know these things because Bob Woodward exposed the president's prevarications the following morning, Monday, September 21, in the shape of The Post's publishing McChrystal's secret assessment.
10. It is also painfully public how the president has pushed his people to put off reporting to him precisely what's happening in the operational platform because he doesn't not want to be boxed into any obligation to act.
Afghan Troop Request Simmers - WSJ.com
11. We know that McChrystal has urged alacrity, declaring that any delay in deciding must determine the doom of our undertaking in the area.
12. Indeed Buck McKeon, ranking Republican on Armed Services, averred aloud that Secretary Gates told him the president asked Petraeus and McChrystal to "scrub" clean their accounts for reasons already recounted.
13. Of course, the Penatagon's Press Secretary, Geoff Morrell, denied that the president pled for any such cleansing.
14. Secretary Gates is the guy, mumbled Morrell, who wanted all worries washed out.
Report: Obama told Petraeus and McChrystal to "scrub" assessments | The Cable
16. Today, America learned that Obama has opted after all to depart for Denmark to deal for a Chicago-based Olympics.
It's official: Obama will travel to Denmark - 9/28/09 - Chicago News - abc7chicago.com
17. Even though 12 days ago the president pledged the precise opposite.
Obama pitches Olympics, but still not going to Denmark - Chicago Breaking News
18. But then, apparently, Oprah called, and who could turn down Oprah?
Oprah going to Copenhagen to pitch Chicago Olympics - Chicago Breaking News
19. These are terrible visuals, the prez promenading to Europe with Oprah on his arm while soldiers are being slaughtered in HIS war.
20. Politics is all about pictorials.
21. And the president's priorities appear misplaced.
22. Iran is increasing incendiary, health care's in ICU.
23. And Obama wings his way across the waters to work his wonders getting Games.
24. He's TRYING to get out of town.
25. What if the IOC says no?
U.S. commander in Afghanistan talked with Obama only once - The Back Story - Washington TimesThe military general credited with capturing Saddam Hussein and killing the leader of al Qaeda in Iraq, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, says he has spoken with President Obama only once since taking command in Afghanistan.
"I’ve talked to the president, since I’ve been here, once on a VTC [video teleconference]," Gen. Stanley McChrystal told CBS reporter David Martin in a television interview that aired Sunday.
"You’ve talked to him once in 70 days?" Mr. Martin followed up.
"That is correct," the general replied.
This revelation comes amid the explosive publication of an classified report written by the general that said the war in Afghanistan "will likely result in failure" if more troops are not added next year. Yet, the debate over health care reform continues to dominate Washington’s political discussions. On Monday, the White House announced President Obama would travel to Denmark to lobby the International Olympic Committee to select his hometown of Chicago for the 2016 summer games.