Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 226

Thread: Obama going to Denmark to pitch Chicago Olympics

  1. #21
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 12:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: Obama going to Denmark to pitch Chicago Olympics

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    Yeah I too mourn for the days when the president could only concentrate on one thing at a time
    I long for the days when the President had a sense of adult priorities, and did not suffer from narcissism.
    Quod scripsi, scripsi

  2. #22
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    10-28-09 @ 10:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    66

    Re: Obama going to Denmark to pitch Chicago Olympics

    It is nice that he wants to bring the Olympics to the states, but there are plenty of other issues that are more important to this country.

  3. #23
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    11-02-09 @ 10:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5

    Re: Obama going to Denmark to pitch Chicago Olympics

    Quote Originally Posted by beez0811 View Post
    It is nice that he wants to bring the Olympics to the states, but there are plenty of other issues that are more important to this country.
    I remember when the criticism was that Obama was trying to do too much too quickly.
    And the Olympics will do a lot of good for America as well as Chicago.

    Without simply using my question as a partisan issue launch pad, what exactly is it that you think Obama is failing to do by promoting the United States?

  4. #24
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    10-28-09 @ 10:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    66

    Re: Obama going to Denmark to pitch Chicago Olympics

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone70 View Post
    I remember when the criticism was that Obama was trying to do too much too quickly.
    And the Olympics will do a lot of good for America as well as Chicago.

    Without simply using my question as a partisan issue launch pad, what exactly is it that you think Obama is failing to do by promoting the United States?
    He is trying to do too many things at a racing pace.

    I think that the lives of our soldiers abroad are much more important than the location of a gigantic sports event. Chicago does need help and having it there will be nice, but what about the more important issues?

  5. #25
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Obama going to Denmark to pitch Chicago Olympics

    I was under the impression that the Heads of State of the other three host cities in the running went to the IOC to lobby for it. If that's the case, I have no issue with Obama doing it. There are methods of ettiqutte expected in the diplomatic and world wide political stage that are present and this would seem one of them. The olympics are a world wide event that generates revenue, exposure, and prestige for its host countries.

    And lets be realistic here. At most its going to be a few days jaunt to do this. During that time President Obama is unlikely to be away from some form of communication, most likely a high speed internet connection. Almost any briefing he could get at the white house he could still get while doing this. Almost any decisions he needed to make could still be made. Almost any discussion or meeting could be done through video conferencing. The guy isn't in a cave for gods sakes.

    Its one of the things I hated when people bitch about this with Bush going down to Texas. Its like suddenly he went down there and obviously he must've bunked down in a cave like ****ing OBL, sans electricity, internet, pens and paper, or a phone.

    Yeah, If Obama was literally going over there for an out and out vacation surrounding his pitch to the IOC then I could understand having issue with it. Just like I could understand having issue if/when Bush took actual VACATION instead of just "time away from the white house". But I don't think its the case in this.

    When you have some of the advanced communication methods available to you like the POTUS its not too hard to do a lot of your job without actually being "In the office".

  6. #26
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Obama going to Denmark to pitch Chicago Olympics

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I was under the impression that the Heads of State of the other three host cities in the running went to the IOC to lobby for it. If that's the case, I have no issue with Obama doing it. There are methods of ettiqutte expected in the diplomatic and world wide political stage that are present and this would seem one of them. The olympics are a world wide event that generates revenue, exposure, and prestige for its host countries.

    And lets be realistic here. At most its going to be a few days jaunt to do this. During that time President Obama is unlikely to be away from some form of communication, most likely a high speed internet connection. Almost any briefing he could get at the white house he could still get while doing this. Almost any decisions he needed to make could still be made. Almost any discussion or meeting could be done through video conferencing. The guy isn't in a cave for gods sakes.

    Its one of the things I hated when people bitch about this with Bush going down to Texas. Its like suddenly he went down there and obviously he must've bunked down in a cave like ****ing OBL, sans electricity, internet, pens and paper, or a phone.

    Yeah, If Obama was literally going over there for an out and out vacation surrounding his pitch to the IOC then I could understand having issue with it. Just like I could understand having issue if/when Bush took actual VACATION instead of just "time away from the white house". But I don't think its the case in this.

    When you have some of the advanced communication methods available to you like the POTUS its not too hard to do a lot of your job without actually being "In the office".
    A voice of reason. Thank you.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  7. #27
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Obama going to Denmark to pitch Chicago Olympics

    Quote Originally Posted by F107HyperSabr View Post
    No I am absolutely rooting for USA to get the 'Lymics ! I just do not believe that it is dignified for our head of state to be going to Copenhagen to grovel for the olympics. He has already sent the First Lady, and the Oprah is there to cheer on Chicago, and there are tons of athletes there.

    It is just too risky a trip. The cost of failure to the American image is too great if he fails.
    I don't think he would have gone if he didn't already know the outcome. We will see tomorrow though.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  8. #28
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: Obama going to Denmark to pitch Chicago Olympics

    Quote Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post
    I long for the days when the President had a sense of adult priorities, and did not suffer from narcissism.
    And when was this exactly? Certainly not the last administration who left multiple problems for his successor while chiding his opponents with im the decider. The president was left multiple problems it is only an adult sense of priorities that leads a president to handle more than one problem at a time

  9. #29
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Obama going to Denmark to pitch Chicago Olympics

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    And when was this exactly? Certainly not the last administration who left multiple problems for his successor while chiding his opponents with im the decider. The president was left multiple problems it is only an adult sense of priorities that leads a president to handle more than one problem at a time
    Silly comment. Every president leaves problems for his successor.

    Would you prefer Bush declaring that he must remain president until the economy stabilized??

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  10. #30
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: Obama going to Denmark to pitch Chicago Olympics

    Quote Originally Posted by beez0811 View Post
    He is trying to do too many things at a racing pace.

    I think that the lives of our soldiers abroad are much more important than the location of a gigantic sports event. Chicago does need help and having it there will be nice, but what about the more important issues?
    The trip lasted a whole 18 hours you act as if the whole trip was him thinking only of the olympics. I remember when bush would take long vacations on the ranch and clear brush and his opponents used to complain about soldiers dying while he was on vacation and his supporters were like its not like hes out of contact and isnt doing work.
    The guy can multitask give him credit. Its not like hes eating pretzels and watching the big game

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •