Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 83

Thread: Iran test-fires missiles amid nuclear tension

  1. #31
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    255

    Re: Iran test-fires missiles amid nuclear tension

    Quote Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
    No one who's rationally considered the nature of Iranian politics believes that there will be a lack of consideration of mutually assured destruction because the religious fundamentalism of the Iranian regime transforms them into fervently irrational martyrs who will seek to destroy all at all costs. Such religious elements as were mentioned influence the Iranian regime, just as evangelical Christians who believe that tumult in the Middle East is a sign of the approaching Rapture and Great Tribulation influenced the Bush regime without that administration actually provoking a nuclear conflict. To claim that Ahmadinejad and Co. are akin to crazed suicide bombers is frankly a buffoonish statement that fails to accurately consider the nature of that administration.
    they wouldn't act irrationally in a normal situation (for example like a year ago), but now, just look at the amount of mistakes they've done in internal policy after the election. it was huge. that's because people are now in the scene and they're power is showing, and nothing can give them the opportunity to oppress people like a war.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Between Hollywood and Compton.
    Last Seen
    11-25-09 @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,497

    Re: Iran test-fires missiles amid nuclear tension

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dave View Post
    Welll look at their allies. Hassan Nazrallah said on live telivison that he thanked god that his son had been martyed. These arent the kind of people ild like to trust with nukes.
    And George W. Bush was elected with the support of a contingency that includes a faith healer who owns gold mines in African dictatorships and has called for the assassination of foreign heads of state. There were and are rather unbalanced people allied with both administrations, but that is not equivalent to either administration becoming a crazed fundamentalist regime unchecked by reason in its aggression against other nation-states.

    Quote Originally Posted by youknowwho View Post
    they wouldn't act irrationally in a normal situation (for example like a year ago), but now, just look at the amount of mistakes they've done in internal policy after the election. it was huge. that's because people are now in the scene and they're power is showing, and nothing can give them the opportunity to oppress people like a war.
    No, the basis for his remark is that a regime of Twelvers are uniquely prone to irrationality because of fervent religious allegiances (which would have existed more than a year ago), and this will lead them to abandon all rational approaches to foreign policy as they turn themselves into kamikazes if they can in their destruction of Israel because they believe that it fulfills religious prophecy.

  3. #33
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    255

    Re: Iran test-fires missiles amid nuclear tension

    Quote Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
    No, the basis for his remark is that a regime of Twelvers are uniquely prone to irrationality because of fervent religious allegiances (which would have existed more than a year ago), and this will lead them to abandon all rational approaches to foreign policy as they turn themselves into kamikazes if they can in their destruction of Israel because they believe that it fulfills religious prophecy.

    well, that's not the case about ahmadinejad and the rest of them. they are as sane as every other politician when it comes to power and money, and they definitely won't do something stupid because of their faith, but they may do stupid mistakes like any other dictatorship through the history. since they are under pressure from inside and outside, it's not totally irrational to start an erosive war and wipe out inside opposition silently. at least, it's not so unexpected from them to execute such plan if the inside opposition becomes a serious threat to their existence, which is gonna happen soon.

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Between Hollywood and Compton.
    Last Seen
    11-25-09 @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,497

    Re: Iran test-fires missiles amid nuclear tension

    I know there was a difference between your point and his, which I'd attempted to emphasize. I don't think your own claim is true either, but it's not as obviously wrong as his was and I don't know enough about it to really address it with the attention it merits.

  5. #35
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: Iran test-fires missiles amid nuclear tension

    Israel has a defensive missile system.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #36
    Professor Charles Martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-21-10 @ 08:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,668

    joke Re: Iran test-fires missiles amid nuclear tension

    Let's see...we decide to withdraw a planned missile and listening station in Eastern Europe....and the Iranians immediately test their medium range ballistic missiles that can easily reach Eastern Europe.

    Obama is a genius.

  7. #37
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Iran test-fires missiles amid nuclear tension

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    This is worrying news. Iran seems to be betting that no one will go to war with them to stop them from gaining nukes. The question is whether they are right in that, as we are not in a good situation to go to another war. I don't think just a bombing campaign would be effective.
    We have 140,000 experienced troops, including significant air and logistical support, right on Iran's front door.

    We've -never- been in a better position to go to war with Iran.

    That said, there's absolutely no support for the argument that any such war would necessitate a general invasion of Iran.

  8. #38
    Student
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    07-19-11 @ 08:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    205

    Re: Iran test-fires missiles amid nuclear tension

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Israel has a defensive missile system.
    True, but the Israeli system would prove ineffective in preventing a mass missile barrage should one occur.

  9. #39
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Iran test-fires missiles amid nuclear tension

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    No one's going to a damn thing to stop Iran from going nuclear. The only thing that will provke action will be an attack, by Iran. Even then, maybe.
    This is likely true -- someone will certainly argue that "we cant retalliate with our nukes because they'll use the rest of theirs on us!"

  10. #40
    Student
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    07-19-11 @ 08:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    205

    Re: Iran test-fires missiles amid nuclear tension

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    This is likely true -- someone will certainly argue that "we cant retalliate with our nukes because they'll use the rest of theirs on us!"
    That would be a ridiculous argument. Firstly, if Iran does obtain nuclear weapons and decide to use them (which I still view as a long shot), it will be Israel who responds in a nuclear fashion, not the United States.

    Additionally, those who would make the argument that they will "use the rest of theirs on us" would have to show they even had more warheads, and show there was a delivery system capable of reaching the United States. Given that Iran does not currently possess such a delivery system, all they could do from a nuclear standpoint is use a warhead on US troops stationed in the region. I have little doubt that should this occur, anyone would hesitate to respond with overwhelming nuclear superiority.

    Perhaps someone would make that argument, but they would look like an idiot doing it in my view.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •