Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 101

Thread: The dead end kids: Young, unemployed and facing tough future

  1. #71
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: The dead end kids: Young, unemployed and facing tough future

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    Yes I do beleive one of the reason we are in this trouble is that major Industries were allowed to pick up and move out of the United States because they didn't want to pay State Employment taxs,Health Care,Fight with the Union(s) among many of the items. I grew up in the Northeast I got to watch the whole Textile Industry die and move to China/India/Central-South America and then see thos same products come back into the United States.

    Hell look at are Steel Industry/Ship Building Industry.
    Again, this is really not something I'm interested in debating. Free trade improves outcomes for all parties, period. The only people who don't benefit from free trade are those that are incapable of adapting or who have nothing to offer, but they wouldn't exactly be thriving in a restrictive trade regime either.

    Your right an Art History Major might not go to work on an assembly line but I can think of allot of 18-25 Year Old Americans that would go work on an assembly line.
    I don't, but that is probably due to the fact that I live in a city. Nevertheless, the fact remains that just because some people would like a job doesn't mean it's a good idea to have that job regardless of the other factors that come into play.

    I would love to go work on an assembly line that paid me $500k, but the market won't bear it, so I can't. Accordingly, I had to get my **** together and find another career. There's no reason why other 18-25 year olds can't/don't do the same.

    Oh and the last time I check most entery level assembly jobs start out around $14-16 per hour.
    And that's probably why those jobs are dying out. A high school dropout or even a high school graduate is probably not worth $14/hr at entry-level.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Between Hollywood and Compton.
    Last Seen
    11-25-09 @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,497

    Re: The dead end kids: Young, unemployed and facing tough future

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    dejacque?

    LOL!

    hardly representative of the classical liberalism terminology you toss around so errantly

    indeed, it's burke's break with the francophiles that defines his movement

    you aren't even comfortable with your own philology

    maybe that's why no one is ever capable of responding to what you're SAYING

    LOL!
    Actually, I rarely discuss classical liberalism, instead preferring to focus on the improper disconnection between libertarianism and socialism. It seems your vision's a bit clouded, which likely accounts for your inability to make on-topic remarks in this thread.

    LOL!

    LOL!

    LOL!

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: The dead end kids: Young, unemployed and facing tough future

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    In Vancouver recently I met a guy who is 23 and just graduated with his degree in engineering. No one will hire him because he doesn't have at least 4 years experience, so now he works in a coffee shop. We've created a generation where university degrees are the status quo, but they don't really do much in the grand scheme. Degrees are the new high school diploma. People want experience, but companies won't hire you if you don't have it. Yet, you can't get experience if you aren't hired. For young people it's a horrendous catch 22.
    Yea, I hear the engineering guys are getting hit pretty hard. My advice would be to work for free in your spare time. You'll pick up experience and if a spot opens you'll be the most likely person to get it. It's tough, but that's the best way in for young people in certain proffessions.

    Also, the trades industry is severely lacking in North America. When the babyboomers all go into retirement, there will be few to do the plumbing, electricity, mechanics, etc. Those are all potentially lucrative careers and the requirements for that kind of education are not as high. The problem is that so little emphasis is placed on the trades as potential careers in high school that people look down upon them. They are all taught to 'aim high' and go for degrees to become paper pushers in desk jobs.

    We don't need more paper pushers, we need people with hands on skills.
    Very true. Those types of jobs are barely entertained in American public schools.

    I think students should have more flexible curriculums and graduation standards. We should place emphasis on identifying and maximizing a student's strengths, and directing them towards a specialized education instead of trying to apply a one-sized fits all approach to a diverse body of individuals.

    Not everyone needs to know how to factor a polynomial or balance a chemical equation. Maybe we should just teach them how to install a sink or replace a engine piston instead.

  4. #74
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: The dead end kids: Young, unemployed and facing tough future

    Quote Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
    Actually, I rarely discuss classical liberalism
    i completely understand

    LOL!

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Between Hollywood and Compton.
    Last Seen
    11-25-09 @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,497

    Re: The dead end kids: Young, unemployed and facing tough future

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    i completely understand

    LOL!
    It's been suggested to me via PM that I challenge you to a True Debate so that I could tear you to pieces definitively. I'd do it if we still had them on the condition that you'd no longer interrupt threads with off-topic babbling after I inevitably beat you.

  6. #76
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: The dead end kids: Young, unemployed and facing tough future

    Quote Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
    It's been suggested to me via PM that I challenge you to a True Debate so that I could tear you to pieces definitively. I'd do it if we still had them on the condition that you'd no longer interrupt threads with off-topic babbling after I inevitably beat you.
    you mean the same way burke beat dejacque?

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Between Hollywood and Compton.
    Last Seen
    11-25-09 @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,497

    Re: The dead end kids: Young, unemployed and facing tough future

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    you mean the same way burke beat dejacque?
    I'll take it you decline.

  8. #78
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: The dead end kids: Young, unemployed and facing tough future

    you're debating yourself just fine

    i'm the only one around here who even ATTEMPTS to use your terminology

    besides, you just said you weren't going to take the advice offered via (LOL!) pm

    it sounds like anyone who doesn't SAY what you SAY is off topic, anyway

  9. #79
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: The dead end kids: Young, unemployed and facing tough future

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    Hmmm I guess onyl CC got it the main reason we don't have any good enter-level jobs are because over the oast 35+ Year the United States has let Company shut up and move the factories either to Central/South America,India,China or the Far East then send the product back tot eh United States mean while we now have ageneration of Youth who can't get a friggen good paying job and Congress and some of you can't understand why.

    Hence why I've been screaming for many year to put 100% taffifs on Textile Products/Candies/Farm Tractors etc. ect. thius would force these company's to 1 Bring back the Jobs and 2 Put Americans back to Work.
    Precisely! The United States government has passed the right laws to drive industries from our country.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #80
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: The dead end kids: Young, unemployed and facing tough future

    Quote Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
    I'll take it you decline.

    here would be a good place to start.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/true-debates/
    Last edited by Donc; 09-30-09 at 11:45 AM.
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •