Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: GOP to block health nominees in Medicare spat

  1. #1
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    GOP to block health nominees in Medicare spat

    GOP to block health nominees in Medicare spat - Yahoo! News

    WASHINGTON – The Senate's top Republicans said Thursday they wouldn't allow President Barack Obama to fill health posts until his administration stops barring insurers from telling the elderly how Democrats' health overhaul could affect their benefits.

    Sen. Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., the minority leader, and seven other Republicans wrote to Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius demanding she immediately lift what they called a "gag order" that calls on private companies that contract with Medicare to stop communicating with their elderly customers about the measure's potential effects.
    One such insurer, Humana Inc., headquartered in McConnell's home state, told its Medicare customers in a recent mailing that the bill could slash their benefits. The missive urged seniors to contact lawmakers to ask them to oppose it.

    The Republicans' latest threat is retaliation after a federal agency told Humana and other insurers that work with Medicare to immediately stop such mailings or similar Internet postings. The order came from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, known as CMS, which oversees the federal health programs for the poor and elderly.
    This is quite unconstitutional to issue gag orders for no other reason than to deter dissent over bills.

    How authoritarian of them.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #2
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: GOP to block health nominees in Medicare spat

    I don't know, sounds to me like that wasn't the reason for the 'gag order'.

    Arena Digest: The Humana 'gag' - Politico Staff - POLITICO.com


    It also is more ridiculous Republican posturing to block yet more nominations. Quit the stupid games and confirm the people that are nominated, or vote down the nominations. The gaming is like a never-ending temper tantrum.


    If they have a problem with the 'gag order', then address it directly. Either they have a case, or they don't, but holding up (yet more) nominations is pure obstructionism. The party of no strikes again.

  3. #3
    Student
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    07-19-11 @ 08:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    205

    Re: GOP to block health nominees in Medicare spat

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post

    It also is more ridiculous Republican posturing to block yet more nominations. Quit the stupid games and confirm the people that are nominated, or vote down the nominations. The gaming is like a never-ending temper tantrum.

    If they have a problem with the 'gag order', then address it directly. Either they have a case, or they don't, but holding up (yet more) nominations is pure obstructionism. The party of no strikes again.
    Let's be real. Democrats have 60 votes in the Senate. Republicans, at best, could slow down a nomination with extended debate, but they cannot overcome a cloture vote.

    You say they are the "party of no," but they are powerless in both the House and Senate to block almost anything the Democrats want to pass.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: GOP to block health nominees in Medicare spat

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    I don't know, sounds to me like that wasn't the reason for the 'gag order'.

    Arena Digest: The Humana 'gag' - Politico Staff - POLITICO.com
    Yet another new LOW standard being set by Democrats: it's okay to issue GAG orders to vendors of the Government who spread messages we don't agree with, but as your Politico article states, had it been a message that is in full support of the Government Health Grab plan, no problemo.

    Bottom line; as long as it is a message YOU agree with, it's okay. Just don't go expressing views YOU don't agree with; then we will gag you.



    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    It also is more ridiculous Republican posturing to block yet more nominations. Quit the stupid games and confirm the people that are nominated, or vote down the nominations. The gaming is like a never-ending temper tantrum.
    Such stunning hypocrisy coming from the Left is not surprising. When Democrats block nominees for purely partisan politics it is fine; but when Republicans do it is just ridiculous posturing.



    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    If they have a problem with the 'gag order', then address it directly. Either they have a case, or they don't, but holding up (yet more) nominations is pure obstructionism. The party of no strikes again.
    This fascinating denial suggests that the Party in the minority with the new Liberal THUGS in power have a say in anything.

    I guess it doesn't occur to you that in their utter lack of transparency, Pelosi and her moronic minions have all but shut Republicans out forcing the minority party to resort to what can be concluded as the ONLY tactic left to get their voice heard.

    Of course, you are only selectively outraged when it is YOUR party that is in the minority right?

  5. #5
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: GOP to block health nominees in Medicare spat

    Quote Originally Posted by FlanaganReport View Post
    Let's be real. Democrats have 60 votes in the Senate. Republicans, at best, could slow down a nomination with extended debate, but they cannot overcome a cloture vote.

    You say they are the "party of no," but they are powerless in both the House and Senate to block almost anything the Democrats want to pass.

    Any member of the Senate can block any nomination by putting an anonymous hold. Republicans have held up multiple nominations throughout the winter, spring, summer, and now fall.

  6. #6
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: GOP to block health nominees in Medicare spat

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Yet another new LOW standard being set by Democrats: it's okay to issue GAG orders to vendors of the Government who spread messages we don't agree with, but as your Politico article states, had it been a message that is in full support of the Government Health Grab plan, no problemo.

    Bottom line; as long as it is a message YOU agree with, it's okay. Just don't go expressing views YOU don't agree with; then we will gag you.





    Such stunning hypocrisy coming from the Left is not surprising. When Democrats block nominees for purely partisan politics it is fine; but when Republicans do it is just ridiculous posturing.





    This fascinating denial suggests that the Party in the minority with the new Liberal THUGS in power have a say in anything.

    I guess it doesn't occur to you that in their utter lack of transparency, Pelosi and her moronic minions have all but shut Republicans out forcing the minority party to resort to what can be concluded as the ONLY tactic left to get their voice heard.

    Of course, you are only selectively outraged when it is YOUR party that is in the minority right?

    Fascinating. Another strong conservative/republican argument in favor of obstructing. Or, perhaps, not fascinating at all.

  7. #7
    Student
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    07-19-11 @ 08:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    205

    Re: GOP to block health nominees in Medicare spat

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    Any member of the Senate can block any nomination by putting an anonymous hold. Republicans have held up multiple nominations throughout the winter, spring, summer, and now fall.
    That does not matter. The Majority Leader can still bring something to the floor even if there is a hold on it, they just risk a filibuster, which would be easily overcome with a cloture vote.

  8. #8
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: GOP to block health nominees in Medicare spat

    Quote Originally Posted by FlanaganReport View Post
    That does not matter. The Majority Leader can still bring something to the floor even if there is a hold on it, they just risk a filibuster, which would be easily overcome with a cloture vote.

    Yes, of course he can. Let's have a cloture vote on every nomination, whether or not holds and blocks have anything to do with the nominee.

    Wait, isn't that obstructionism?


    What the hell is the POINT. You have an argument about the gag order, you fight on the issue of the gag order. Enough with the obstructionism !!!

  9. #9
    Student
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    07-19-11 @ 08:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    205

    Re: GOP to block health nominees in Medicare spat

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    Yes, of course he can. Let's have a cloture vote on every nomination, whether or not holds and blocks have anything to do with the nominee.
    Well why not? Would that be better than no nominations going through? I can't help but think some of the reason the Democrats don't push it is because they want to leave open the idea that "Republicans are the Party of No."

    Wait, isn't that obstructionism?
    I think it is just the manner in which the Senate works. Both parties have put holds, filibustered legislation, etc etc. It is not really anything new in my opinion.

    What the hell is the POINT. You have an argument about the gag order, you fight on the issue of the gag order. Enough with the obstructionism !!!
    It is nothing new for Senators to place holds on things because of other issues.

    That said, from a Republican standpoint, no fight over a "gag order" would be taken seriously if there was not something in place to make it so. Threatening to delay a nomination at the least gets the issue in the news, which is probably all they really wanted to do to begin with.

  10. #10
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: GOP to block health nominees in Medicare spat

    Quote Originally Posted by FlanaganReport View Post
    Well why not? Would that be better than no nominations going through? I can't help but think some of the reason the Democrats don't push it is because they want to leave open the idea that "Republicans are the Party of No."

    I think it is just the manner in which the Senate works. Both parties have put holds, filibustered legislation, etc etc. It is not really anything new in my opinion.

    It is nothing new for Senators to place holds on things because of other issues.

    That said, from a Republican standpoint, no fight over a "gag order" would be taken seriously if there was not something in place to make it so. Threatening to delay a nomination at the least gets the issue in the news, which is probably all they really wanted to do to begin with.

    Both parties have put holds, no doubt. However the claim that this is nothing new is false. The level of filibusters since the Republicans lost the majority is at unprecedented levels.

    Block, hold, filibuster, obstruct. That is the minority party of today. They have earned the nickname party of no, and they are continuing it with blocking nominations for reasons having nothing to do with the nominees.

    If they have a problem or an issue, they should stand up and debate on that issue. Instead, they obstruct.

    ps, the last comment about Republicans in Congress being taken seriously - the problem is, they aren't. The perception of Republicans is Congress is at all-time lows in polling. They only hurt themselves further with the more of the same nonsense.
    Last edited by jackalope; 09-25-09 at 01:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •