Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 74

Thread: Senate Democrats Kill GOP Effort to Rein in Obama's Czars

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Senate Democrats Kill GOP Effort to Rein in Obama's Czars

    Senate Democrats Kill GOP Effort to Rein in Obama's Czars - Political News - FOXNews.com

    Senate Democrats, under pressure from a White House arguing separation of powers, rejected a GOP attempt Thursday to provide greater transparency and congressional oversight of 18 czars appointed by the Obama administration without Senate confirmation.

    Democrats employed a procedural tactic to kill the GOP proposal that would have withheld federal funds for the creation of any new, unconfirmed czar positions until the administration agreed to allow the individuals to testify before Congress under "reasonable" requests.

    The proposal also would have required every czar to produce a detailed "public, written report" biannually of their actions and involvement in the creation of policy, rules, and regulations.

    But Democrats used a Senate rule that prohibits legislating on a spending bill -- something that is often done by both political parties despite the rule -- to kill the measure.

    Sen. Susan Collins, a moderate Republican from Maine who sponsored the amendment to a spending bill that funds the Interior Department, decried the move on the Senate floor, saying she was "deeply disappointed" in her Democratic colleagues.

    "My amendment has been carefully tailored to cover officials that the president has unilaterally designated for significant policy matters," said Collins, who is the top Republican on the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee.

    "It would not have covered the president's chief of staff, for example, and it would not cover less senior White House officials, despite some misinformation to the contrary," Collins said, noting that her staff had worked with White House officials Wednesday night without agreement

    Wow is all I have to say, typical for this White House who has ate evry step go around the US Consititution. The Funny thing is this the White House and the Democrat might have biting off more then they can chew with dishing Sen. Collins she is one of the few Moderate Republicans that might vote with the Deocrates on the Health Issue but I don't see this happen now as amtter of fact I can see Suan going after the Deocrats hard. Knowing Susan the way i do I can tell you this I'm 97% SURE SHE IS PISSED AND WHEN SHE IS PISSED WATCH OUT. aSK ANY ONE FROM MAINE.

  2. #2
    Advisor tumbleweed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Last Seen
    08-29-16 @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    341

    Re: Senate Democrats Kill GOP Effort to Rein in Obama's Czars

    Good for the Democrats. If the Republicans were truly concerned about these advisers they didn't voice their opposition when their party was in power.

    I wasn't concerned when the Republicans used special advisers to the president, just as I'm not concerned now. I feel they enhance the presidents decision making process.

  3. #3
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,966

    Re: Senate Democrats Kill GOP Effort to Rein in Obama's Czars

    Quote Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
    Good for the Democrats. If the Republicans were truly concerned about these advisers they didn't voice their opposition when their party was in power.

    I wasn't concerned when the Republicans used special advisers to the president, just as I'm not concerned now. I feel they enhance the presidents decision making process.
    Actually, many democrats DID voice concerns when Bush was in office, even if you didn't.

    I have a hard time getting worked up about this stuff. I don't trust either side that they're working in the best interest of the people, because the same people bitching about it now were supporting it just a few years ago, and vise versa. Its all "politics as usual".

    If there's one thing that is obvious though.

    There's no "Change"...not in the lofty way Obama bull****ted to everyone during the campaign.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Senate Democrats Kill GOP Effort to Rein in Obama's Czars

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    Senate Democrats Kill GOP Effort to Rein in Obama's Czars - Political News - FOXNews.com

    Senate Democrats, under pressure from a White House arguing separation of powers, rejected a GOP attempt Thursday to provide greater transparency and congressional oversight of 18 czars appointed by the Obama administration without Senate confirmation.

    Democrats employed a procedural tactic to kill the GOP proposal that would have withheld federal funds for the creation of any new, unconfirmed czar positions until the administration agreed to allow the individuals to testify before Congress under "reasonable" requests.

    The proposal also would have required every czar to produce a detailed "public, written report" biannually of their actions and involvement in the creation of policy, rules, and regulations.

    But Democrats used a Senate rule that prohibits legislating on a spending bill -- something that is often done by both political parties despite the rule -- to kill the measure.

    Sen. Susan Collins, a moderate Republican from Maine who sponsored the amendment to a spending bill that funds the Interior Department, decried the move on the Senate floor, saying she was "deeply disappointed" in her Democratic colleagues.

    "My amendment has been carefully tailored to cover officials that the president has unilaterally designated for significant policy matters," said Collins, who is the top Republican on the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee.

    "It would not have covered the president's chief of staff, for example, and it would not cover less senior White House officials, despite some misinformation to the contrary," Collins said, noting that her staff had worked with White House officials Wednesday night without agreement

    Wow is all I have to say, typical for this White House who has ate evry step go around the US Consititution. The Funny thing is this the White House and the Democrat might have biting off more then they can chew with dishing Sen. Collins she is one of the few Moderate Republicans that might vote with the Deocrates on the Health Issue but I don't see this happen now as amtter of fact I can see Suan going after the Deocrats hard. Knowing Susan the way i do I can tell you this I'm 97% SURE SHE IS PISSED AND WHEN SHE IS PISSED WATCH OUT. aSK ANY ONE FROM MAINE.
    This adminstration and Congress is so transparent, you can see right through them!

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Senate Democrats Kill GOP Effort to Rein in Obama's Czars

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    There's no "Change"...not in the lofty way Obama bull****ted to everyone during the campaign.
    I disagree with this statement; there has been a TON of change since Obama and the Democrats took over.

    We are now in a $1.6 trillion deficit with more coming.

    We have an additional $2 trillion in debt to pay back.

    Unemployment has reached rates that have not been seen since the Carter years and will perhaps exceed them.

    Soon, with the force of a filibuster proof majority, we may see the first Government grab of 1/4 of our economy which will bury the American taxpayer in another $2 trillion of debt/deficits.

    AND, last but never least, we are now seeing a debate to justify the pullout and lack of support for the war Democrats claimed was the RIGHT/Just war.

    There has been a LOT of change; it just isn't the change many gullible Americans who swallowed the swill of the mainstream media desperate to get this "post turtle" elected thought they would get.

    I can't wait for the transparent and honest debates about who is going to pay for all this spending; but we will have to wait until after the 2010 midterms because this new more honest, fiscally responsible and transparent Administration/Legislature wants to postpone that debate for purely partisan political purposes.


  6. #6
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: Senate Democrats Kill GOP Effort to Rein in Obama's Czars

    If the Obama administration was the first president to use czars I would be concerned. Czars have been used since at least Reagan and maybe before. This is nothing more than Republican partisan flapping of the political gums today just as it was the Democrats flapping theirs a fews years ago. !!!
    Last edited by F107HyperSabr; 09-25-09 at 04:07 PM.
    I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us f107HyperSabr

  7. #7
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:14 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,054

    Re: Senate Democrats Kill GOP Effort to Rein in Obama's Czars

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    I disagree with this statement; there has been a TON of change since Obama and the Democrats took over.

    We are now in a $1.6 trillion deficit with more coming.

    We have an additional $2 trillion in debt to pay back.

    Unemployment has reached rates that have not been seen since the Carter years and will perhaps exceed them.

    Soon, with the force of a filibuster proof majority, we may see the first Government grab of 1/4 of our economy which will bury the American taxpayer in another $2 trillion of debt/deficits.

    AND, last but never least, we are now seeing a debate to justify the pullout and lack of support for the war Democrats claimed was the RIGHT/Just war.

    There has been a LOT of change; it just isn't the change many gullible Americans who swallowed the swill of the mainstream media desperate to get this "post turtle" elected thought they would get.

    I can't wait for the transparent and honest debates about who is going to pay for all this spending; but we will have to wait until after the 2010 midterms because this new more honest, fiscally responsible and transparent Administration/Legislature wants to postpone that debate for purely partisan political purposes.

    You forgot to mention that now our Leader is buddies with the leaders of Venezuela and Cuba, Iran has gone nuclear, and Russia is now our friend for not building missile defenses in Europe.

    Oh, and we're now more liberal when it comes to climate change than Europe.

  8. #8
    Student
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    07-19-11 @ 08:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    205

    Re: Senate Democrats Kill GOP Effort to Rein in Obama's Czars

    Quote Originally Posted by F107HyperSabr View Post
    If the Obama administration was the first president to use czars I would be concerned. Czars have been used since at least Reagan and maybe before. This is nothing more than Republican partisan flapping of the political gums today just as it was the Democrats flapping theirs a fews years ago. !!!
    I do not think that most people would have a problem with the concept of a "czar" (outside of some certainly) given that they go back for years in both parties. I think the controversy surrounding the Obama "czars" comes mostly from the radical views some of these people hold and the question of do we want people, who are openly communist, or who believe trees should standing in court, or that forced abortions could be a good thing, to be in the White House advising the President.

    Take away those controversies and I think the outrage over "czars" would be minimal.

  9. #9
    Student
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    07-19-11 @ 08:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    205

    Re: Senate Democrats Kill GOP Effort to Rein in Obama's Czars

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    You forgot to mention that now our Leader is buddies with the leaders of Venezuela and Cuba, Iran has gone nuclear, and Russia is now our friend for not building missile defenses in Europe.

    Oh, and we're now more liberal when it comes to climate change than Europe.
    What do you mean when you say "Iran has gone nuclear?"

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Senate Democrats Kill GOP Effort to Rein in Obama's Czars

    Quote Originally Posted by FlanaganReport View Post
    I do not think that most people would have a problem with the concept of a "czar" (outside of some certainly) given that they go back for years in both parties. I think the controversy surrounding the Obama "czars" comes mostly from the radical views some of these people hold and the question of do we want people, who are openly communist, or who believe trees should standing in court, or that forced abortions could be a good thing, to be in the White House advising the President.

    Take away those controversies and I think the outrage over "czars" would be minimal.
    ....and the unprecedented number being appointed by Obama.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •