Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 89

Thread: G-20 opponents, police clash on Pittsburgh streets

  1. #11
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: G-20 opponents, police clash on Pittsburgh streets

    Yes most are peaceful. However, I recall a huge uproar from the Left over "teabaggers" carrying guns to protests among other things, but not actually breaking any serious laws. When Lefties protest, and many do act violently, not many complaints from the Left here. However, if the roles where reversed, I don't think that things would be much differant

  2. #12
    Educator ScottD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    06-27-11 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    977

    Re: G-20 opponents, police clash on Pittsburgh streets

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    It is worth pointing out it is usually only a minority who are violent in these things, the usual rent-a-mob crowd who would protest just about anything if they thought they'd be able to smash windows. The rest are usually relatively peaceful.
    Which is why non-lethal methods are used.

    Like I said, these protesters were clogging traffic without a permit. They didn't have the right to protest right there at that time. They were given a fair warning to disperse, and rocks were thrown. The police replied appropriately given the circumstances.

  3. #13
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: G-20 opponents, police clash on Pittsburgh streets

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    So far I don't here much of a peep from the Left besides a few.
    Posting that right after some one on the left posts in good for a laugh.

  4. #14
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: G-20 opponents, police clash on Pittsburgh streets

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    Yes most are peaceful. However, I recall a huge uproar from the Left over "teabaggers" carrying guns to protests among other things, but not actually breaking any serious laws. When Lefties protest, and many do act violently, not many complaints from the Left here. However, if the roles where reversed, I don't think that things would be much differant
    Who says they're all lefties? I despise globalisation as much as anyone.
    Last edited by Wessexman; 09-24-09 at 09:10 PM.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  5. #15
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: G-20 opponents, police clash on Pittsburgh streets

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
    Which is why non-lethal methods are used.

    Like I said, these protesters were clogging traffic without a permit. They didn't have the right to protest right there at that time. They were given a fair warning to disperse, and rocks were thrown. The police replied appropriately given the circumstances.
    It is civil disobedience, and though I don't know what happened, from what you describe it was handled appropriately.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: G-20 opponents, police clash on Pittsburgh streets

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    Who says they're all lefties? I despise globalisation as much as anyone.
    Yea, but the specific hatred of capitalism suggests that they are socialist anarchists.

    I don't think many of these folks have the kind of nuanced political views that you do as it concerns socialism or anarchism.

    In other words, I doubt there were many Wessexmans in that crowd, although I'm sure there was no shortage of Che Guevara shirts...

  7. #17
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: G-20 opponents, police clash on Pittsburgh streets

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Yea, but the specific hatred of capitalism suggests that they are socialist anarchists.

    I don't think many of these folks have the kind of nuanced political views that you do as it concerns socialism or anarchism.
    I wonder how many of the violent element actually remember what they are protesting this week.

    In other words, I doubt there were many Wessexmans in that crowd, although I'm sure there was no shortage of Che Guevara shirts...
    [Westcountry joke]Well maybe there are a few from Bristol.[/Westcountry joke]
    Last edited by Wessexman; 09-24-09 at 09:26 PM.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  8. #18
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,535

    Re: G-20 opponents, police clash on Pittsburgh streets

    I would have to think a number of them simply get off on smashing stuff.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: G-20 opponents, police clash on Pittsburgh streets

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    I would have to think a number of them simply get off on smashing stuff.
    Most college leftists are like that.

  10. #20
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,535

    Re: G-20 opponents, police clash on Pittsburgh streets

    It doesn't end with college.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •