Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 92

Thread: Massachusetts names Kirk to fill Kennedy Senate seat

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Massachusetts names Kirk to fill Kennedy Senate seat

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    Judge To Rule Before Noon Today On Massachusetts Senate Appointment | TPMDC


    The GOP is seeking to nullify the appt, on the grounds that Gov Patrick didn't have the authority to declare an emergency, in order to make the appt.
    I love the farcical argument that this was an "emergency."

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Massachusetts names Kirk to fill Kennedy Senate seat

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    Judge Rules In Favor Of Kirk Senate Appointment, Against Massachusetts GOP Challenge | TPMDC

    So, I guess Kirk will be sworn in then? I wonder if he already has been sworn in...
    Another new low precedent set; a Governor can declare political expediency as a State constitutional emergency.

    The Alice in Wonderland world we now live in just gets curioser and curioser.

  3. #83
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Massachusetts names Kirk to fill Kennedy Senate seat

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    I love the farcical argument that this was an "emergency."

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Another new low precedent set; a Governor can declare political expediency as a State constitutional emergency.

    The Alice in Wonderland world we now live in just gets curioser and curioser.


    "Former Republican governor Mitt Romney used the emergency provision 14 times, Galvin added, including to increase the boating speed limit in Charlton and to change the office of town moderator in Milton."

    Judge rejects GOP bid to block Senate appointment - Local News Updates - The Boston Globe



    ho hum
    Last edited by jackalope; 09-25-09 at 03:12 PM. Reason: link

  4. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Massachusetts names Kirk to fill Kennedy Senate seat

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    "Former Republican governor Mitt Romney used the emergency provision 14 times, Galvin added, including to increase the boating speed limit in Charlton and to change the office of town moderator in Milton."

    Judge rejects GOP bid to block Senate appointment - Local News Updates - The Boston Globe

    ho hum
    I see that you continue showing a propensity for the absurd in trying to equate partisanship hackery with actual emergency declarations by Governors.

    Rather than just cutting and pasting statements from a blog site, why don’t you provide the actual language contained in those “alleged” emergency declarations and illustrate how they are purely partisan in nature and have NOTHING to do with an actual emergency.

    Then, if Romney did indeed engage in using the declarations for purely partisan purposes, shouldn't he be denounced just as this Democrat is? You are free to coherently defend the argument you are attempting to foist that because a Republican did it, it is okay for Democrats to do it; that is your argument right?

    You truly are a caricature of the reasons morons like Obama can get elected.

  5. #85
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Massachusetts names Kirk to fill Kennedy Senate seat

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    I love the farcical argument that this was an "emergency."
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    I see that you continue showing a propensity for the absurd in trying to equate partisanship hackery with actual emergency declarations by Governors.

    Rather than just cutting and pasting statements from a blog site, why don’t you provide the actual language contained in those “alleged” emergency declarations and illustrate how they are purely partisan in nature and have NOTHING to do with an actual emergency.

    Then, if Romney did indeed engage in using the declarations for purely partisan purposes, shouldn't he be denounced just as this Democrat is? You are free to coherently defend the argument you are attempting to foist that because a Republican did it, it is okay for Democrats to do it; that is your argument right?

    You truly are a caricature of the reasons morons like Obama can get elected.

    Really? The Boston Globe is a blog site? And changing the office of town moderator, or lifting the boating speed limit are both emergencies, but an empty Senate seat when major legislation that will affect state residents is being voted on is not?


    oooooo, ur rich.



    The state GOP had no legal basis for their argument, according to the linked articles.

  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Massachusetts names Kirk to fill Kennedy Senate seat

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    Really? The Boston Globe is a blog site?
    Boston.com and the story you linked was more of an editorial than a story which also contains a section for viewer’s comments; just click the comment section if you want to see what a "blog" site is or look up the definition.

    No surprise here that you seldom bring any facts to the debate nor can you support the copy and paste you used without any factual links to the "emergency" provisions Romney invoked to prove your desperate claim that they constitute the purely partisan efforts by these Democrats.

    The notion that appointing a Senate seat constituting a State emergency is beyond farcical; but that is indeed the new low standard being set by Democrats.

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    And changing the office of town moderator, or lifting the boating speed limit are both emergencies, but an empty Senate seat when major legislation that will affect state residents is being voted on is not?
    How trite that you think reading an opinion column on a blog page of the Boston Globe constitutes facts.

    Like I said earlier, find the emergency declarations themselves and then prove they were purely political; then if they were, illustrate how it is a coherent argument to suggest that hyper partisanship by one group is justified by another groups hyper partisan actions.

    Again, I don't expect any honest answers or efforts from you; that is not your forte'.

    [quote=jackalope;1058272516oooooo, ur rich. [/QUOTE]

    What is rich are your desperate efforts to support the despicable purely partisan efforts of a State House which does nothing to raise the standard of political debate in this country.

    Not to mention the profound hypocrisy and irony coming from a party that promised the American people more honesty, transparency and fiscal responsibility if they are elected.

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    The state GOP had no legal basis for their argument, according to the linked articles.
    Wrong again; a judge determined that they did not show precedent to support their argument. That in itself is hysterical in that it is highly unlikely that prior to this naked partisan hypocrisy, any Governor in the past declared the appointment of a Senator a State emergency in order to ensure a filibuster proof margin to pass universal Government managed healthcare.

    But hey, you go on drinking that partisan kool-aid dude; don't let me stop you.


  7. #87
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Massachusetts names Kirk to fill Kennedy Senate seat

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Boston.com and the story you linked was more of an editorial than a story which also contains a section for viewer’s comments; just click the comment section if you want to see what a "blog" site is or look up the definition.

    No surprise here that you seldom bring any facts to the debate nor can you support the copy and paste you used without any factual links to the "emergency" provisions Romney invoked to prove your desperate claim that they constitute the purely partisan efforts by these Democrats.

    The notion that appointing a Senate seat constituting a State emergency is beyond farcical; but that is indeed the new low standard being set by Democrats.



    How trite that you think reading an opinion column on a blog page of the Boston Globe constitutes facts.

    Like I said earlier, find the emergency declarations themselves and then prove they were purely political; then if they were, illustrate how it is a coherent argument to suggest that hyper partisanship by one group is justified by another groups hyper partisan actions.

    Again, I don't expect any honest answers or efforts from you; that is not your forte'.



    What is rich are your desperate efforts to support the despicable purely partisan efforts of a State House which does nothing to raise the standard of political debate in this country.

    Not to mention the profound hypocrisy and irony coming from a party that promised the American people more honesty, transparency and fiscal responsibility if they are elected.



    Wrong again; a judge determined that they did not show precedent to support their argument. That in itself is hysterical in that it is highly unlikely that prior to this naked partisan hypocrisy, any Governor in the past declared the appointment of a Senator a State emergency in order to ensure a filibuster proof margin to pass universal Government managed healthcare.

    But hey, you go on drinking that partisan kool-aid dude; don't let me stop you.


    It's a breaking news article on the Boston Globe's website. Boston.com IS the Boston Globe's website. It is not an editorial, it is a news article.

    Further, the judge did indeed say the state GOP did not offer a legal basis for their argument. From the article:

    Judge Thomas Connolly ruled that the Republicans' claim was legally inadequate, noting in his four-page decision that, "the Party does not cite any case law in support of its argument."


    You really shouldn't just make crap up. Particularly when slinging the words desperate, trite, and hypocritical around.

  8. #88
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Dallas-Ft.Worth
    Last Seen
    11-28-09 @ 02:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    541

    Re: Massachusetts names Kirk to fill Kennedy Senate seat

    Let's get this straight.

    The elected representatives of the State voted to change the law.

    The majority of voters in the State approved of changing the law.

    The Supreme Court in the State said it was all legal.


    And still the right wingers cry and whine like little babies!

  9. #89
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Massachusetts names Kirk to fill Kennedy Senate seat

    Moderator's Warning:
    Massachusetts names Kirk to fill Kennedy Senate seatEveryone needs to stop the personal attacks or thread bans will occur.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #90
    Professor Charles Martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-21-10 @ 08:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: Massachusetts names Kirk to fill Kennedy Senate seat

    Don't like the rules, make up new ones. Standard Democrat tactics, I see no reason for alarm. Now...had this been long standing Repub and we tried to change the rules from a minority status in Congress...think the situation would be handled in a likewise fashion?

    With their ciritcal 60th vote, something had to be done. Change rules, whatever, any means to an end.

    At least they're up front, the Dems being quite transparent. Makng it very clear that the stakes are high....the Repubs need to wake up.

    Their desperation clear, let's cheat if we have to as well. Any means to an end works in both camps, yes?

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •