Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: ACORN Vows 'Serious' Internal Probe, Sues Filmmakers

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    ACORN Vows 'Serious' Internal Probe, Sues Filmmakers

    ACORN Vows 'Serious' Internal Probe, Sues Filmmakers - Political News - FOXNews.com


    ACORN, in response to an undercover expose of potential wrongdoing by some employees, pledged Wednesday to follow through on plans to conduct a thorough internal review of its practices -- on the same day that the organization filed a lawsuit against the filmmakers whose hidden-camera sting brought the community organization to its knees.

    The lawsuit, filed in a Baltimore court, stems from an undercover video showing ACORN employees Shera Williams and Tonja Thompson providing advice to two filmmakers posing as a pimp and prostitute on how to skirt tax laws.

    The filmmakers, James O'Keefe and Hannah Giles, are named as defendants in the lawsuit, along with Breitbart.com, a Web site managed by conservative commentator Andrew Breitbart, which posted the videos. Breitbart released five similar videos that O'Keefe and Giles recorded in ACORN offices in Washington, D.C.; Brooklyn, N.Y.; San Bernadino, Calif., and San Diego, as well as the Baltimore office.


    This Great I live in Balrtimore and have been following this most of the Day. Here lies the whole problem with there case. The problem is this if a judge actually allows this to go to trail then it will make undercover work done by Local and State Police illegal. Not only that there is a question of how the Maryland Law pass Constitutional Muster on reguards to the 1st Adm and the Press

  2. #2
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: ACORN Vows 'Serious' Internal Probe, Sues Filmmakers

    Discovery will bleed ACORN like lambs at the slaughter. This is going to be great if ACORN is actually stupid enough to go through with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    12-02-09 @ 05:13 PM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,695

    Re: ACORN Vows 'Serious' Internal Probe, Sues Filmmakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    ACORN Vows 'Serious' Internal Probe, Sues Filmmakers - Political News - FOXNews.com


    ACORN, in response to an undercover expose of potential wrongdoing by some employees, pledged Wednesday to follow through on plans to conduct a thorough internal review of its practices -- on the same day that the organization filed a lawsuit against the filmmakers whose hidden-camera sting brought the community organization to its knees.

    The lawsuit, filed in a Baltimore court, stems from an undercover video showing ACORN employees Shera Williams and Tonja Thompson providing advice to two filmmakers posing as a pimp and prostitute on how to skirt tax laws.

    The filmmakers, James O'Keefe and Hannah Giles, are named as defendants in the lawsuit, along with Breitbart.com, a Web site managed by conservative commentator Andrew Breitbart, which posted the videos. Breitbart released five similar videos that O'Keefe and Giles recorded in ACORN offices in Washington, D.C.; Brooklyn, N.Y.; San Bernadino, Calif., and San Diego, as well as the Baltimore office.


    This Great I live in Balrtimore and have been following this most of the Day. Here lies the whole problem with there case. The problem is this if a judge actually allows this to go to trail then it will make undercover work done by Local and State Police illegal. Not only that there is a question of how the Maryland Law pass Constitutional Muster on reguards to the 1st Adm and the Press
    Were these undercover film makers acting under the same authority as local and state police do when they conduct their undercover investigations?

    One is different from the other is it not?

  4. #4
    Old Soul

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ND
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 11:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,915

    Re: ACORN Vows 'Serious' Internal Probe, Sues Filmmakers

    The multimillion-dollar lawsuit cites "extreme emotional distress" on behalf of two workers who were fired after the video was posted online.
    frivolouss

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    12-02-09 @ 05:13 PM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,695

    Re: ACORN Vows 'Serious' Internal Probe, Sues Filmmakers

    Quote Originally Posted by emdash View Post
    frivolouss
    How so?....

  6. #6
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,499

    Re: ACORN Vows 'Serious' Internal Probe, Sues Filmmakers

    What's hilarious about this is that if they prevail, they open themselves up to suits for wrongful termination of the employees in question.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  7. #7
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: ACORN Vows 'Serious' Internal Probe, Sues Filmmakers

    Quote Originally Posted by goldendog View Post
    Were these undercover film makers acting under the same authority as local and state police do when they conduct their undercover investigations?

    One is different from the other is it not?
    These investigative journalists aren't bringing criminal charges against ACORN, so it doesn't matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #8
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: ACORN Vows 'Serious' Internal Probe, Sues Filmmakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    What's hilarious about this is that if they prevail, they open themselves up to suits for wrongful termination of the employees in question.
    I don't think that ACORNs are stupid enough to actually go through with it. It's a bluff. If this goes to court, ACORN will be forced to open the books for all the world to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: ACORN Vows 'Serious' Internal Probe, Sues Filmmakers

    Quote Originally Posted by goldendog View Post
    Were these undercover film makers acting under the same authority as local and state police do when they conduct their undercover investigations?

    One is different from the other is it not?
    Yes and No, No on the fact they aren't Law Officers, yes under the fact that they were exposing a crime.

    Allof the maryland TV Stations have called for this Law to be throw out because its a violation of the 1st Adm on Speech. The funny thing is a few years ago when NBC was running those Stings that caught alot of Perv's a few of them happen in Maryland and no one was screaming about he Law then.

    My take on it is this no Law should stop the press no matter what you define as the Press and into todays World that can mean allot.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    12-02-09 @ 05:13 PM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,695

    Re: ACORN Vows 'Serious' Internal Probe, Sues Filmmakers

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    These investigative journalists aren't bringing criminal charges against ACORN, so it doesn't matter.
    I realize that so the OP is incorrect in making the accertions that these suits and how they are brought forward could directly effect fed and local police undercover investigations.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •