Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 123

Thread: Stephanopoulos points out Merriam-Webster definition of taxes to president

  1. #101
    Irrelevant Pissant

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    03-13-14 @ 07:55 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,194

    Re: Stephanopoulos points out Merriam-Webster definition of taxes to president

    I am always amused by people who require a link to the OBVIOUS.

    Tell me something, what part of managing one of the largest Governments and most powerful country on the globe suggests that a candidate for the job should NOT require "some degree of qualifications and a resume of experience to point to?"
    It was before our alliance with Venezuela and Cuba. Remember?
    Ok. If y'all don't want to post links then I will.

    Requirements to Become President of the United States

    * Only native-born U.S. citizens (or those born abroad, but only to parents who were both citizens of the U.S.) may be president of the United States, though from time to time that requirement is called into question, most recently after Arnold Schwarzenegger, born in Austria, was elected governor of California, in 2003. The Constitution originally provided a small loophole to this provision: One needn't have been born in the United States but had to be a citizen at the time the Constitution was adopted. But, since that occurred in 1789, that ship has sailed.

    * One must also be at least 35 years of age to be president. John F. Kennedy was the youngest person to be elected president; he was 43 years old when he was inaugurated in 1961. There is no maximum age limit set forth in the Constitution. Ronald Reagan was the oldest president; at the end of his term in 1988, he was nearly 77.

    * Finally, one must live in the United States for at least 14 years to be president, in addition to being a natural-born citizen. The Constitution is vague on this point. For example, it does not make clear whether those 14 years need to be consecutive or what the precise definition of residency is. So far, however, this requirement has not been challenged.
    Show me the part in there where it says anything about a resume.

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Stephanopoulos points out Merriam-Webster definition of taxes to president

    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    Ok. If y'all don't want to post links then I will.

    Requirements to Become President of the United States

    Show me the part in there where it says anything about a resume.
    Oh my, this is truly laughable; so your argument is that the ONLY requirements for the most powerful person in the world is that they meet the minimum criteria set forth in the Constitution?

    Well, then you must also think that Palin was completely qualified for the job of President and that the Democrat Party, their willing minions in the mainstream Liberal media and the Obama campaign were all lying when they declared that Palin was in fact NOT qualified, right?

    I bet if I looked hard enough, I would find a quote of you parroting your Liberal pals positions on Palin as well?

    I'll be right back folks, I am going to need my HIP WADERS for the next response I am sure.
    Last edited by Truth Detector; 09-25-09 at 04:53 PM.

  3. #103
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Stephanopoulos points out Merriam-Webster definition of taxes to president

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Do tell me what FACTS are required to argue that to be President one should at least have some qualifications/experience for the job? I am curious what facts you think one needs to state the OBVIOUS.
    We'll you are the one ranting about facts all the time and I would just like most people expect you to come with a fact occasionally. And TD the fact is any natural born citizen in the USA over the age of 35 can become President.

  4. #104
    Irrelevant Pissant

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    03-13-14 @ 07:55 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,194

    Re: Stephanopoulos points out Merriam-Webster definition of taxes to president

    Oh my, this is truly laughable; so your argument is that the ONLY requirements for the most powerful person in the world is that they meet the minimum criteria set forth in the Constitution?
    Well, it is also a requirement that they be popular enough to win the popularity contest.

    Well, then you must also think that Palin was completely qualified for the job of President and that the Democrat Party, their willing minions in the mainstream Liberal media and the Obama campaign were all lying when they declared that Palin was in fact NOT qualified, right?
    Yep, aside from not being popular enough, she was qualified. Obviously she wasn't competent, and wouldn't have done a good job, but look at the original assertion that I am contesting:

    Once upon a time, being president required some degree of qualifications and a resume of experience to point to.
    I believe these "good ol' days" are a myth. People have been voting in scumbags since the beginning.
    I bet if I looked hard enough, I would find a quote of you parroting your Liberal pals positions on Palin as well?
    Why don't you go do that then?

    I'll be right back folks, I am going to need my HIP WADERS for the next response I am sure.
    I can't blame you. If I were wallowing in what you seem to be wallowing in, I would want hip waders too.

  5. #105
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,073

    Re: Stephanopoulos points out Merriam-Webster definition of taxes to president

    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    Ok. If y'all don't want to post links then I will.

    Requirements to Become President of the United States



    Show me the part in there where it says anything about a resume.
    Are you really missing the point that badly? There was a time when voters held their presidential candidates to a certain set of basic, minimal standards.

    Obama as president is the equivalent of Pee Wee Herman as Secretary of Defense.

    Go rent Idiocracy. Tell me if we aren't already there.

  6. #106
    Irrelevant Pissant

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    03-13-14 @ 07:55 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,194

    Re: Stephanopoulos points out Merriam-Webster definition of taxes to president

    Are you really missing the point that badly? There was a time when voters held their presidential candidates to a certain set of basic, minimal standards.
    And again, I want to see evidence for this assertion.

    What did Franklin Pierce have on his resume? Did he have any more political experience than Obama?

    Obama as president is the equivalent of Pee Wee Herman as Secretary of Defense.
    Or Arnold Schwarzenegger as a Governor... Or a horse as a Senator... Yeah, obviously prior to Obama, only extremely competent people served in public offices.

  7. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Stephanopoulos points out Merriam-Webster definition of taxes to president

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    We'll you are the one ranting about facts all the time and I would just like most people expect you to come with a fact occasionally. And TD the fact is any natural born citizen in the USA over the age of 35 can become President.
    Yes it is a fact that the constitution lays out the minium requirements, but the notion that one can become President without any experience or qualifications, well, that requires the willing suspension of disbelief.

    Did you think Palin was qualified to become President? She met those minimums.

  8. #108
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: Stephanopoulos points out Merriam-Webster definition of taxes to president

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Do tell me what FACTS are required to argue that to be President one should at least have some qualifications/experience for the job? I am curious what facts you think one needs to state the OBVIOUS.

    Are you now going to argue that one requires no qualifications to become leader of the most powerful country on the globe and that the only way you will believe it is if you have a link? You’re kidding me right?


    Carry on; as usual you offer nothing but nonsensical BS.
    I thought one of the main qualifications was you had to show crunch a certified copy of the Hawaiian birth certificate.
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  9. #109
    Rockin' In The Free World
    the makeout hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Last Seen
    04-24-14 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,102

    Re: Stephanopoulos points out Merriam-Webster definition of taxes to president

    Once upon a time, being president required some degree of qualifications and a resume of experience to point to.
    What about Lincoln? He only had 2 years house experience, and turned out to be one of the most effective holders of the office, regardless of your opinion of his policies.
    The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet the Makeout Hobo, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Stephanopoulos points out Merriam-Webster definition of taxes to president

    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo View Post
    What about Lincoln? He only had 2 years house experience, and turned out to be one of the most effective holders of the office, regardless of your opinion of his policies.
    Lincoln had a LOT more experience than that:

    In the August 1832 elections for the Illinois General Assembly, he ran unsuccessfully on the Whig ticket. Two years later, he won the seat representing Sangamon County and was reelected to three more terms.

    Over the next 25 years, it was his work as an attorney, rather than a politician, that consumed most of his time.

    In 1846 he won a term as Illinois’ only Whig Congressman.

    Together with other opponents of the Act, he was instrumental in forming the new Republican Party. At the Republican national convention in 1856, he found himself placed second as candidate for vice-president.

    When he accepted the Republican nomination for the U.S. Senate in 1858, Lincoln gained fame for his speech: “A house divided against itself cannot stand.” I believe this government cannot endure permanently half slave and half free. I do not expect the Union to be dissolved — I do not expect the house to fall — but I do expect it will cease to be divided. It will become all one thing, or all the other." The speech created an evocative image of the danger of national disunion caused by the slavery debate, and rallied Republicans across the north. In spite of losing his run for the Senate, Lincoln was nominated for President by the Illinois Republicans and, on the third ballot, by the Republican National Convention in May 1860.

    Qualifications For A Successful President

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •