Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 77

Thread: Federal Appeals Court Voids Campaign Finance Reform Rules

  1. #31
    Rockin' In The Free World
    the makeout hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Last Seen
    04-24-14 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,102

    Re: Federal Appeals Court Voids Campaign Finance Reform Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Well, I've always thought about it this way:

    If I want to buy a bullhorn and stand on the street corner advocating for an issue, surely that would be freedom of speech. No one would say that my investment in the $10 bullhorn violated campaign finance laws, right?

    Now...what if instead of doing that, I paid someone else to stand on the street corner with the bullhorn and advocate my message? Would that be a violation of campaign finance laws? I think most people would say that that still falls under freedom of speech.

    Now...what if instead of doing that, I paid someone else to stand in front of a TV camera with a microphone and advocate my message to 100,000 people? Is there really any difference between that and the bullhorn example, other than the scale?
    I think you reach the point where the money becomes too much though, and politicians are too worried about getting money to get reelected than legitimately doing their jobs.
    The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet the Makeout Hobo, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

  2. #32
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Federal Appeals Court Voids Campaign Finance Reform Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo View Post
    I completely agree, which is why I think loopholes like those you mentioned need to be closed.
    The way it's set up it can't close those "loopholes". As you allude to, there is an actual problem. But the law did nothing to address the actual problem, but rather worked against the people in a regressive manner....as is most everything they do. To do what you want, this law needs to be scrapped and a proper law needs to be drafted and submitted. But good luck on that part, politicians on both sides of the isle know where their real paycheck comes from.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #33
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Federal Appeals Court Voids Campaign Finance Reform Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    I do... 1 million dollars per candidate.... period... no exceptions... no wiggle room... no more buying elections.
    here! here! 100% agree.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  4. #34
    Guru
    Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    12-21-10 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: Federal Appeals Court Voids Campaign Finance Reform Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    here! here! 100% agree.
    I think this is a first!!! Maybe there is hope for this country.

  5. #35
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Federal Appeals Court Voids Campaign Finance Reform Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo View Post
    I think you reach the point where the money becomes too much though, and politicians are too worried about getting money to get reelected than legitimately doing their jobs.
    Ya but how can you really tell the difference between free speech and a campaign ad? If I go on television to give my opinion on universal health care, that's freedom of speech, right? What if I do it just before an election? And what if I suggest that people vote for candidates who support universal health care, without actually naming any candidates?

    If politicians are too worried about getting money to get reelected, I think there is a better solution: Impose term limits on senators and congressmen.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 09-23-09 at 06:34 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #36
    Professor
    formerroadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,014

    Re: Federal Appeals Court Voids Campaign Finance Reform Rules

    What needs to happen is the only contributions made to any candidate must come from individual donations only. No corporate donations whatsoever. Those power pools of money should never be allowed to influence our senators and representatives. Even if you don't believe that it affects campaign outcomes, it sure does affect later legislative decisions. Only individual citizens should be able to donate money to campaigns and nothing else. I say "nothing" because corporations should not be seen or understood to be people. And, yes, I would say the same of any large group like unions, sports teams, you name it.
    It's time for a revolution in our country. Not a revolution forged with guns and bombs but a revolution forged of compassion and altruism. A revolution that extends a hand to those who don't have and who cannot. A revolution that makes Health Care available to all those in the US.

  7. #37
    Rockin' In The Free World
    the makeout hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Last Seen
    04-24-14 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,102

    Re: Federal Appeals Court Voids Campaign Finance Reform Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Ya but how can you really tell the difference between free speech and a campaign ad? If I go on television to give my opinion on universal health care, that's freedom of speech, right? What if I do it just before an election? And what if I suggest that people vote for candidates who support universal health care, without actually naming any candidates?

    If politicians are too worried about getting money to get reelected, I think there is a better solution: Impose term limits on senators and congressmen.
    Term limits are a massive failure. Look at Cali to see that. It just leads to people job hopping, and they're more worried about their next job than doing their job. Also, what's the difference between a candidate needing to raise a massive amount of money for his 2nd term or his 5th term? Term limits are not the answer.
    The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet the Makeout Hobo, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

  8. #38
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Federal Appeals Court Voids Campaign Finance Reform Rules

    How about this, you can raise as much as you want from whoever....just every single dollar has to be posted on a public website detailing when it was donated and by whom. If there's one thing partisan hacks are good for, it's using their time to find any piece of dirt on candidates they don't like. Who better to scrutinize such lists? And these lists should get audited. Any discrepancies and you start getting fined the differences.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  9. #39
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Federal Appeals Court Voids Campaign Finance Reform Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo View Post
    Term limits are a massive failure. Look at Cali to see that. It just leads to people job hopping, and they're more worried about their next job than doing their job.
    Ya but at the federal level there really aren't that many elected jobs to hop between. Once you've been a representative and a senator, there isn't much else (unless one has presidential aspirations).

    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo
    Also, what's the difference between a candidate needing to raise a massive amount of money for his 2nd term or his 5th term?
    Nothing, except he's only doing it once instead of four times.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #40
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Federal Appeals Court Voids Campaign Finance Reform Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by formerroadie View Post
    What needs to happen is the only contributions made to any candidate must come from individual donations only. No corporate donations whatsoever. Those power pools of money should never be allowed to influence our senators and representatives. Even if you don't believe that it affects campaign outcomes, it sure does affect later legislative decisions. Only individual citizens should be able to donate money to campaigns and nothing else. I say "nothing" because corporations should not be seen or understood to be people. And, yes, I would say the same of any large group like unions, sports teams, you name it.
    You just described our current system.

    You think the current system actually works?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •