Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 58

Thread: 7 ex CIA Chiefs Ask Obama to Drop AG's Probe

  1. #11
    Educator ScottD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    06-27-11 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    977

    Re: 7 ex CIA Chiefs Ask Obama to Drop AG's Probe

    I think Obama is going about this wrong, he should firstly prosecute the men who gave the orders for the torture to be carried out, then he should set up a Truth and Reconcilliation commision for those who were just following orders. For those who don't know what a Truth and Reconcilliation commision is, look into what happened in South Africa after the Aparthied ended. They brought justice the right way. Obama should follow their example.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: 7 ex CIA Chiefs Ask Obama to Drop AG's Probe

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
    I think Obama is going about this wrong, he should firstly prosecute the men who gave the orders for the torture to be carried out, then he should set up a Truth and Reconcilliation commision for those who were just following orders. For those who don't know what a Truth and Reconcilliation commision is, look into what happened in South Africa after the Aparthied ended. They brought justice the right way. Obama should follow their example.
    I think that's an excellent idea!!

  3. #13
    Professor
    OxymoronP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Heart in Brooklyn, body South of Dixie
    Last Seen
    08-23-10 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,175

    Re: 7 ex CIA Chiefs Ask Obama to Drop AG's Probe

    We all know they came from the top, but some investigations do go all the way......Like Watergate....forced a sitting President to resign.
    That is different as he was an active President and the pressure came from the Congress (Impeachement).

    I disagree. I think the real danger would be to overlook crimes that were committed so the next president will feel invulnerable like Bush did.
    No one is above the law & Presidents are not Kings.
    I agree, but it is the Congress responsibility to do so while he was President. but in reality the congres knew full well what was going on and shut their mouths and eyes and ears. I mean if Obama wants to go to the heart of the matter he needs to include the Speaker of the House into this investigation.

    Already happened under Bush....Valerie Plame was outed. We survived that too.

    That was bad, but that was one agent. Imagine this happening to dozens to entire departments.


    THE GREATEST FREEDOM IS THE FREEDOM TO OPPRESS OTHERS

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    12-02-09 @ 05:13 PM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,695

    Re: 7 ex CIA Chiefs Ask Obama to Drop AG's Probe

    I disagree...sometimes doing the right thing is the most difficult. To not investigate and prosecute the people who ordered laws to be broken would only set the standard for the next rouge President who wants to twart the law of the land and embolden them with the knowledge of just how much they could get away with and the nation would still not have the guts to prosecute them and the people involved.

    Proper investigations, convictions and sentences would be the right thing for our country's future health and would send a message to future Presidents and Vice Presidents who feel they are above the law that infact they are not and it will not be tolerated.

    The CIA is going to just have to weather the storm.

  5. #15
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: 7 ex CIA Chiefs Ask Obama to Drop AG's Probe

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    Whatever "Investigation" that were done in the past were tainted by politics & cannot be trusted. Let a new ..non-partisan...special prosecutor run a REAL investigation this time. (I would even accept an honest guy like Brent Scocroft (sp)...Bush Sr.s guy)
    The general consensus from observers on both sides is that this is completely false. The AUSA's who conducted the investigation were from the ED of VA, which has the nation's most extensive experience with cases of this type and has a sterling reputation for integrity.

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    We all know they came from the top, but some investigations do go all the way......Like Watergate....forced a sitting President to resign.

    I disagree. I think the real danger would be to overlook crimes that were committed so the next president will feel invulnerable like Bush did.
    No one is above the law & Presidents are not Kings.

    Already happened under Bush....Valerie Plame was outed. We survived that too.
    Quote Originally Posted by goldendog View Post
    I disagree...sometimes doing the right thing is the most difficult. To not investigate and prosecute the people who ordered laws to be broken would only set the standard for the next rouge President who wants to twart the law of the land and embolden them with the knowledge of just how much they could get away with and the nation would still not have the guts to prosecute them and the people involved.
    Like most, you're completely misunderstanding the scope of this investigation. This investigation is not looking at the legality of any of the actions taken pursuant to orders from above, but is exclusively focused on actions that exceeded those orders.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  6. #16
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,246

    Re: 7 ex CIA Chiefs Ask Obama to Drop AG's Probe

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    Whatever "Investigation" that were done in the past were tainted by politics & cannot be trusted. Let a new ..non-partisan...special prosecutor run a REAL investigation this time. (I would even accept an honest guy like Brent Scocroft (sp)...Bush Sr.s guy)

    This investigation isn't going to be tainted by politics?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: 7 ex CIA Chiefs Ask Obama to Drop AG's Probe

    Quote Originally Posted by OxymoronP View Post
    That is different as he was an active President and the pressure came from the Congress (Impeachement).
    Just because Congress didn't have the guts to do its job & impeach both Bush & Cheney (even though Rep. Dennis Kucinish had formally filed such bills on the House floor) doesn't mean that they (Bush & Cheney) should not now be investigated, prosecuted & incarcerated for any crimes they may have committed while their regime was in office.



    Quote Originally Posted by OxymoronP View Post
    I agree, but it is the Congress responsibility to do so while he was President. but in reality the congres knew full well what was going on and shut their mouths and eyes and ears. I mean if Obama wants to go to the heart of the matter he needs to include the Speaker of the House into this investigation.
    You are right in that.. due to Congress's (I blame Pelosi mostly) lack of guts to impeach, they were derelict in their duties & missed the opportunity to impeach for strictly partisan political reasons. I would love to see Pelosi stripped of her Speaker position due to her cowardice!

    BUT...That in no way excuses Bush & Cheney from now being held responsible for actual crimes (against the United States) they may have comitted while in office.
    Last edited by Devil505; 09-19-09 at 08:50 AM.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: 7 ex CIA Chiefs Ask Obama to Drop AG's Probe

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    The general consensus from observers on both sides is that this is completely false. The AUSA's who conducted the investigation were from the ED of VA, which has the nation's most extensive experience with cases of this type and has a sterling reputation for integrity.
    Those AUSA's were still working for Bush. What you are saying is that if Al Capone had been in charge of finding bootlegging problems in 1920's Chicago... & of course found nothing....that we should accept that investigation as a real one??

    Any investigation that Bush did of his own administration was a joke & we all know it.
    Those AUSA's were under extreme pressure to not find anything wrong or they would have been fired, plain & simple (Just like the 7 U.S. Attys who WERE fired for political reasons)





    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Like most, you're completely misunderstanding the scope of this investigation. This investigation is not looking at the legality of any of the actions taken pursuant to orders from above, but is exclusively focused on actions that exceeded those orders.
    My remarks are not limited to this particular investigation. I would like to see a special prosecutor assigned to investigate ANY crimes committed by by the Bush regime. Why should some actual crimes be deliberately excused? (If a cop is investigating someone for bank robbery & finds dead bodies all over the guys living room, the crime of murder would not be overlooked/excused either. (As long as the cop is legally allowed to search (warrant) ......evidence of ANY crime he finds is admissible in court )
    Last edited by Devil505; 09-19-09 at 08:58 AM.

  9. #19
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,262

    Re: 7 ex CIA Chiefs Ask Obama to Drop AG's Probe

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    If no U.S. laws were broken or treaties violated the probe will exonerate them. If not, they broke the law & should be penalized.
    I'm as patriotic as the next guy but don't buy into "My Country Right Or Wrong."
    We are Americans .....& that should stand for something.
    American stands for petty politics and hypocracy on the left.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #20
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,262

    Re: 7 ex CIA Chiefs Ask Obama to Drop AG's Probe

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    Just because Congress didn't have the guts to do its job & impeach both Bush & Cheney (even though Rep. Dennis Kucinish had formally filed such bills on the House floor) doesn't mean that they (Bush & Cheney) should not now be investigated, prosecuted & incarcerated for any crimes they may have committed while their regime was in office.





    You are right in that.. due to Congress's (I blame Pelosi mostly) lack of guts to impeach, they were derelict in their duties & for strictly partisan political reasons. I would love to see Pelosi stripped of her Speaker position due to her cowardice!

    BUT...That in no way excuses Bush & Cheney from now being held responsible for actual crimes (against the United States) they may have comitted while in office.
    Kucinich is a fringe ****tard who had nothing.
    Last edited by American; 09-19-09 at 08:55 AM.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •