Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 121

Thread: 75 Percent of Oklahoma High School Students Can't Name the First President of the U.S

  1. #61
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    rolleyes Re: 75 Percent of Oklahoma High School Students Can't Name the First President of the

    Quote Originally Posted by cmckinney View Post
    I never said they were scoring the highest. That was a false assumption you made. I said they were scoring higher and by that I meant higher than the average minority. Asians may score higher, yes, but they only account for a little more than 4% of the population. Whites, on the other hand, account for more than 70% of the population. So when it comes down to it, yes Asian students make an impact on the average score, but Whites obviously have a greater one.


    Great save ...

  2. #62
    User cmckinney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Last Seen
    04-19-11 @ 08:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    65

    Re: 75 Percent of Oklahoma High School Students Can't Name the First President of the

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post


    Great save ...
    Do you have something to actually say? Please, point out where you think I originally erred and was forced to make up for it. Or just admit that you misread what I had originally posted.
    I cannot trust a man to control others who cannot control himself.

  3. #63
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: 75 Percent of Oklahoma High School Students Can't Name the First President of the

    Quote Originally Posted by cmckinney View Post
    Do you have something to actually say? Please, point out where you think I originally erred and was forced to make up for it. Or just admit that you misread what I had originally posted.
    I'm not interested in arguing your doublespeak with you. Semantic gymnastics bore me.

    Sorry to get your little hopes up.

  4. #64
    User cmckinney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Last Seen
    04-19-11 @ 08:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    65

    Re: 75 Percent of Oklahoma High School Students Can't Name the First President of the

    I cannot trust a man to control others who cannot control himself.

  5. #65
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: 75 Percent of Oklahoma High School Students Can't Name the First President of the

    Quote Originally Posted by Bootsavich View Post
    Off topic, but would the continental congress be considered a past government of our current nation? I guess I always though of that period as a transitional authority, and that the history of the (current) U.S. didn't start until after the revolution and the United States was recognized abroad. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
    I would agree with you.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  6. #66
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: 75 Percent of Oklahoma High School Students Can't Name the First President of the

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    I'm not interested in arguing your doublespeak with you. Semantic gymnastics bore me.

    Sorry to get your little hopes up.
    Good call. Feeding noobs is never safe.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  7. #67
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: 75 Percent of Oklahoma High School Students Can't Name the First President of the

    Again, since when did SAT scores measure intelligence?

    As for the other notion of kids being otherwise ignorant, fact regurgitation won't get you far in life (unless you're a professional Jeopardy player, but that guy is a nerd). The real failure of schools and students is getting kids to learn to critically think. Facts by themselves are mush. And mush is no good.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #68
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: 75 Percent of Oklahoma High School Students Can't Name the First President of the

    Quote Originally Posted by JakeFromWI View Post
    See it at 75 Percent of Oklahoma Students Can't Name the First President.

    This real folks, and no one seems to mind....

    The majority of Americans are against health care reform you say?

    The majority of Americans don't know who George Washington is either...

    I got a kick out of this anectode regarding the students in one of the most conservative states in America as well:

    "About 92 percent of the people who take the citizenship test pass on their first try, according to immigration service data. However, Oklahoma students did not fare as well. Only about 3 percent of the students surveyed would have passed the citizenship test."

    11 percent also thought the two major political parties in the US were Communists and Republicans. Source: Here
    I haven't finished inventing a robot to take over all the menial labor and mindless jobs so I don't see this as a problem..... for now.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  9. #69
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: 75 Percent of Oklahoma High School Students Can't Name the First President of the

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Again, since when did SAT scores measure intelligence?

    As for the other notion of kids being otherwise ignorant, fact regurgitation won't get you far in life (unless you're a professional Jeopardy player, but that guy is a nerd). The real failure of schools and students is getting kids to learn to critically think. Facts by themselves are mush. And mush is no good.
    If people didn't prep for the SAT, it would actually be a very good test of intelligence.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  10. #70
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: 75 Percent of Oklahoma High School Students Can't Name the First President of the

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    If people didn't prep for the SAT, it would actually be a very good test of intelligence.
    Maybe. That depends how you define intelligence. Remember that the SAT is still very much an aptitude test. That does not measure how inherently smart you are. Award winning author Amy Tan did awful on her SAT's vocab. IMO, that kind of standardized testing is highly overrated. I understand why schools use it (and I didn't do so bad myself, but that was a long time ago), but it is a poor measure of a student's intelligence.

    As for not prepping, you won't believe how many of my classmates (including myself) completely blew off the PSAT (much to the chagrin of our parents, but what do you expect from 10 graders?). And our actual real scores weren't that far off from our non-prepared PSAT score. But then again, I went to a decent pre-school, so that does bias things quite a bit.

    I would be interested in seeing random SAT like tests held at public schools.

    One reason why Asian scores generally are so high is that many Asian parents (note, many, not all, I know plenty that are awful in terms of how they view education) view education as mandatory even to the point where some joke that you can't stop till you have at least a master's. Therefore, it is logical to conclude they'd spent the money and cash to prep their kids. Are their kids any smarter? I doubt it. Are their kids more prepared for a single test? Yes. And it shows.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •