Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 186

Thread: New Acorn Video Scandal Emerges- Employee Asks For Sex

  1. #41
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,990

    Re: New Acorn Video Scandal Emerges- Employee Asks For Sex

    Grim, to be fair...

    Aren't you playing the race card in a way by assuming instantly that race IS going to be brought up and attacking them for something they didn't even do?

    How about you complain about things actually happening...there's plenty for it....and IF they play the race card blast them for it, rightly so, rather than trying to complain about something that isn't even happening at this moment and has no factual way to say with certainty that it WILL happen in the future.

  2. #42
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: New Acorn Video Scandal Emerges- Employee Asks For Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Grim, to be fair...

    Aren't you playing the race card in a way by assuming instantly that race IS going to be brought up and attacking them for something they didn't even do?

    How about you complain about things actually happening...there's plenty for it....and IF they play the race card blast them for it, rightly so, rather than trying to complain about something that isn't even happening at this moment and has no factual way to say with certainty that it WILL happen in the future.

    Thanks Zyph as I stated nowhere did I mention race. I was questioning motive. Do these filmmakers not have a clear agenda?

  3. #43
    Clown Prince of Politics
    Psychoclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hiding from the voices in my head.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,738

    Re: New Acorn Video Scandal Emerges- Employee Asks For Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    What does that have to do with me? You directed this back at me trying to question my motive, implying I was a leftist and this was about white racists. Nowhere in my post did I say that.

    So thus far you're the only one out of the two of us claiming white racists did this. Again read the filmmakers website, look at their interviews they clearly state they have an agenda. Again we'll know more from an independent investigation rather than people with an agenda gathering footage until they catch a few idiots doing stuff they weren't taught to do.
    But its more than a few idiots. So far tapes have been released five offices in cities across the nation. I'd say the isolated incident argument is dead. It's pretty clear to me that at a minimum ACORN has serious problems in the way they train and supervise their employees.

    As for the film makers, yeah they are unabashedly right wing. That doesn't make them automatically wrong. From what I've seen the tapes don't seem to be heavily edited or doctored in any way. So far, their credibility seems pretty good.

    And I do have to say, I found James O'Keefe's mocking attempt to have Lucky Charms removed from his campus' cafeteria on the grounds that it was offensive to people of Irish decent hilarious.

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4bxz2RSkrI"]YouTube - Lucky Charms[/ame]
    Slipping into madness is good for the sake of comparison - Unknown.

  4. #44
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,137
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: New Acorn Video Scandal Emerges- Employee Asks For Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    What does that have to do with me? You directed this back at me trying to question my motive, implying I was a leftist and this was about white racists. Nowhere in my post did I say that.
    It was a general statement. I never said you were a leftist.

    .

  5. #45
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,137
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: New Acorn Video Scandal Emerges- Employee Asks For Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Grim, to be fair...

    Aren't you playing the race card in a way by assuming instantly that race IS going to be brought up and attacking them for something they didn't even do?

    How about you complain about things actually happening...there's plenty for it....and IF they play the race card blast them for it, rightly so, rather than trying to complain about something that isn't even happening at this moment and has no factual way to say with certainty that it WILL happen in the future.
    I'm attempting to stop the race card from being played.

    Some idiot always manages to play it, and I would like to have a fact based debate, instead of one focused on baseless crap like racism.

    .

  6. #46
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: New Acorn Video Scandal Emerges- Employee Asks For Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychoclown View Post
    But its more than a few idiots. So far tapes have been released five offices in cities across the nation. I'd say the isolated incident argument is dead. It's pretty clear to me that at a minimum ACORN has serious problems in the way they train and supervise their employees.

    As for the film makers, yeah they are unabashedly right wing. That doesn't make them automatically wrong. From what I've seen the tapes don't seem to be heavily edited or doctored in any way. So far, their credibility seems pretty good.

    And I do have to say, I found James O'Keefe's mocking attempt to have Lucky Charms removed from his campus' cafeteria on the grounds that it was offensive to people of Irish decent hilarious.

    YouTube - Lucky Charms

    Wrong no but it makes me question their tactic. Its what they haven't released that matters. How many other offices did they visit? San Bernardino doesn't count because they acorn employee was pulling their leg. How many hours of footage is there?

    One thing I learned from the Terri Schiavo affairs is that with enough footage you can show practically anything.

    I can go undercover in multiple Sears stores across the country and find 4 or 5 dumb employees doing something stupid.

    Remember the burger king employee video? I'm sure there are more of those around. Does that necessarily mean burger king is corrupt?

    Again the way to figure this out will be an independent investigation free of an agenda.

  7. #47
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,990

    Re: New Acorn Video Scandal Emerges- Employee Asks For Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    Thanks Zyph as I stated nowhere did I mention race. I was questioning motive. Do these filmmakers not have a clear agenda?
    Sure, they have an Agenda.

    I dare say the vast majority of investigative journalists in this country have an agenda. Only difference from them compared to some investigative journalists is they're completely open and honest about the lean of their agenda.

    Do you immedietely doubt that the people on To Catch A Predator aren't ACTUALLY pedophiles because its the agenda of Chris Hanson is to catch pedophiles?

    Most issues of investigative journalism goes into a situation expecting or hoping for a certain revelation or conclussion or direction to happen...that's part of the POINt of investigative journalism.

    Having an Agenda doesn't mean their information is wrong. Should people look into it? Yes. Look into the factual information and to see if anything was forged...not to dig into their lives and insult them or anything like what is going on by some people currently.

    I think as well having similar situations occur in multiple venues all across the country adds some credibility to the claims and raises some serious questions where as if this was simply the case at one lone place in the country and no where else it'd be far easier to dismiss.

    Having an Agenda is not a disqualification or even necessarily and immediete reason to believe anything was done dishonestly. It just means you should view it with some skeptisism and look at the facts presented along with what other information you can find and come to your own conclussion. The thing is, people should do this with ALL forms of investigative journalism because almost ALL of them have SOME form of an Agenda but not all of them have their agenda pretty blatantly presented.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    I'm attempting to stop the race card from being played.

    Some idiot always manages to play it, and I would like to have a fact based debate, instead of one focused on baseless crap like racism.

    .
    And yet your injection of essentially the reverse race card actually CAUSED the race card discussion to begin and for actual fact based debate to turn into one about racism. You weren't doing fact based debate because you were arguing about something that didn't even happen yet based on nothing more than an assumption.

  8. #48
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: New Acorn Video Scandal Emerges- Employee Asks For Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    It was a general statement. I never said you were a leftist.

    .
    General statement in response to me. Your message: "Now you all on the left can focus on this and pretend that it cancels out all that other video."

    Again its what you said and how you said it

  9. #49
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: New Acorn Video Scandal Emerges- Employee Asks For Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    Wrong no but it makes me question their tactic. Its what they haven't released that matters. How many other offices did they visit? San Bernardino doesn't count because they acorn employee was pulling their leg. How many hours of footage is there?

    One thing I learned from the Terri Schiavo affairs is that with enough footage you can show practically anything.

    I can go undercover in multiple Sears stores across the country and find 4 or 5 dumb employees doing something stupid.

    Remember the burger king employee video? I'm sure there are more of those around. Does that necessarily mean burger king is corrupt?

    Again the way to figure this out will be an independent investigation free of an agenda.
    I'll bet you $100 that you can't go to 5 Sears stores and find employees who will try to help you run a child sex slave ring.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  10. #50
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: New Acorn Video Scandal Emerges- Employee Asks For Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Sure, they have an Agenda.

    I dare say the vast majority of investigative journalists in this country have an agenda. Only difference from them compared to some investigative journalists is they're completely open and honest about the lean of their agenda.

    Do you immedietely doubt that the people on To Catch A Predator aren't ACTUALLY pedophiles because its the agenda of Chris Hanson is to catch pedophiles?
    Didn't know there was a secret pedophilia brotherhood :P The point is I could walk into anyplace with a hidden camera and catch stupid employees doing stupid things. You see it at McDonalds all the time does that inherantly mean that McDs is corrupt? Does it mean they train their employees wrong? Or does it mean that stupid people do stupid things. Also the difference is the framing. This investigation was meant for one purpose to catch people doing stupid things. After hundreds of hours of footage you're bound to catch a few people doing stupid things. Until an independent investigation shows this is endemic of ACORN I'll reserve judgment for the investigation.


    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Most issues of investigative journalism goes into a situation expecting or hoping for a certain revelation or conclussion or direction to happen...that's part of the POINt of investigative journalism.

    Having an Agenda doesn't mean their information is wrong. Should people look into it? Yes. Look into the factual information and to see if anything was forged...not to dig into their lives and insult them or anything like what is going on by some people currently.
    Of course it should be looked into but not with someone with a clear MO. They went digging and after many tries found some stupid people. Anything that didn't fit we don't seem to know about. No I think you're thinking undercover journalism. Most investigative journalism doesn't rely on setups of stupid people. But rather clear widdling through the details, gathering sources and coming to the conclusion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I think as well having similar situations occur in multiple venues all across the country adds some credibility to the claims and raises some serious questions where as if this was simply the case at one lone place in the country and no where else it'd be far easier to dismiss.

    Having an Agenda is not a disqualification or even necessarily and immediete reason to believe anything was done dishonestly. It just means you should view it with some skeptisism and look at the facts presented along with what other information you can find and come to your own conclussion. The thing is, people should do this with ALL forms of investigative journalism because almost ALL of them have SOME form of an Agenda but not all of them have their agenda pretty blatantly presented.
    Having an agenda does definitely make one take pause though and question the accuracy of the information being presented. Now if they showed all footage and we looked at it with healthy skepticism, more often than not you'll probably find a fishing expedition.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •