Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 435

Thread: Tens of thousands attend broad protest of government in nation's capital

  1. #41
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Tens of thousands attend broad protest of government in nation's capital

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    Ahh, okay re: the numbers.

    As for 'officially organized' .... it was officially organized. FreedomWorks spent a ton of cash on organizing the event, and other groups contributed as well:
    Difference is they invited participants, not cajoled them into it, and these were not all "members" of the organization.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #42
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Tens of thousands attend broad protest of government in nation's capital

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Difference is they invited participants, not cajoled them into it, and these were not all "members" of the organization.

    No, sorry, there isn't a difference. The people who showed up to those marches were the same as the ones who attended Saturday's march in this respect: they attended an officially organized march because they cared about the march. They weren't all members of an organization.

    And, I don't know what you're basing the difference between invited and cajoled on, but it sounds like something you just made up. The people who attend rallies and marches attend because they are moved to do so by whatever they understand the purpose of the rally or march to be.

  3. #43
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Tens of thousands attend broad protest of government in nation's capital

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Yea, anyone who opposes your messiah must be a wing-nut. By the way, you’re no moderate…cease the charade.
    Oh yea, someone who votes for both republicans and democrats is no moderate


    Problem with today's righties, they don't know wtf 'moderate' means.

  4. #44
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,285

    Re: Tens of thousands attend broad protest of government in nation's capital

    I find it amazing how angry people get over people protesting government expansion.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  5. #45
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Tens of thousands attend broad protest of government in nation's capital

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    No, sorry, there isn't a difference. The people who showed up to those marches were the same as the ones who attended Saturday's march in this respect: they attended an officially organized march because they cared about the march. They weren't all members of an organization.

    And, I don't know what you're basing the difference between invited and cajoled on, but it sounds like something you just made up. The people who attend rallies and marches attend because they are moved to do so by whatever they understand the purpose of the rally or march to be.
    Very simple, the Milliion Mom March was organized by and attended by the members of that particular organization, many of the anti-war protests are attended specifically by specialized groups, I remember the days of the Million Man March and much of the rhetoric, it was very ethno-centric rhetoric and focused on being a "real black man" and showing up, so yes, there was more organization and cajoling in those cases. In the case of these current protests, the organizers are saying "come on by if you agree", I can't make the argument any more clear than that.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #46
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Tens of thousands attend broad protest of government in nation's capital

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Very simple, the Milliion Mom March was organized by and attended by the members of that particular organization, many of the anti-war protests are attended specifically by specialized groups, I remember the days of the Million Man March and much of the rhetoric, it was very ethno-centric rhetoric and focused on being a "real black man" and showing up, so yes, there was more organization and cajoling in those cases. In the case of these current protests, the organizers are saying "come on by if you agree", I can't make the argument any more clear than that.

    No, those marches were organized by the official organizers, and attended by lots and lots of people. Same as the DC teaparty. There is no difference. The people who went to all those marches went 'because they agreed'.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Tens of thousands attend broad protest of government in nation's capital

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    Oh yea, someone who votes for both republicans and democrats is no moderate


    Problem with today's righties, they don't know wtf 'moderate' means.
    A moderate certainly doesn't make insulting remarks about a generalized protest against government authority.

    By the way, I'm not a "righty"....just a consistent individual who points out foolishness and hypocrisy without regard to anything, except my consistency, of course.
    Last edited by Ethereal; 09-14-09 at 02:45 PM.

  8. #48
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    11-07-12 @ 12:45 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    117

    Re: Tens of thousands attend broad protest of government in nation's capital

    It looked like a huge turnout to me. Especially when you consider that many of those folks aren't the type who usually march in protests. I think that's really saying something. My FIL, who is in his 60's, went and that's the first time he's ever been motivated to participate in something like that.

  9. #49
    Advisor tumbleweed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Last Seen
    08-29-16 @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    341

    Re: Tens of thousands attend broad protest of government in nation's capital

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Your speculation makes you sound like those you harp against.
    I'm not speculating. I'm basing my comments on news articles of first hand reports of the event I've been reading since yesterday. For the most part they all seem to be saying the same thing.

    The Taxpayer March on Washington was organized by several groups, including the Tea Party Patriots; FreedomWorks, an activist and policy group headed by former U.S. House Majority Leader Dick Armey; and the 912 Project, a group run by conservative talk show host Glenn Beck. It was a protest against Democrats with a host of Republican speakers like U.S. Rep. Tom Price of Roswell, U.S. Rep. Marsha Blackburn of Tennessee, and Georgia state Rep. Tom Graves, who more than likely had a lot of constituents there since they bussed in 20 bus loads of protesters in from Georgia. Every report I've read stated it was a rally of mostly Conservatives chanting the same slogans as the teabaggers have been screaming.

    If you want to make a legitimate argument that this rally was anything other than a partisan special interest group rally, directed mostly towards Democrats just because they hold the keys to the WH, by all means lets hear it.

    Your feeble attempt to make this debate more about my political persuasion instead of the topic of the rally is nothing more than a straw man. As a veteran of debates surely you can do better than that.

  10. #50
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Tens of thousands attend broad protest of government in nation's capital

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    I find it amazing how angry people get over people protesting government expansion.
    I find it amazing that these people did not protest at all during the Bush administration......
    PeteEU

Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •