Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 158

Thread: Obama Criticizes Republicans for Blocking Health Care Bill

  1. #101
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Obama Criticizes Republicans for Blocking Health Care Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    It's amazing that I have to explain this, because most people understand it without explanation, but "So?" generally means "this doesn't mean anything in terms of the point." Most people have that figured out by first grade, if not before.



    I "assumed" nothing other than what he said, which is that he has the votes.

    Now, assuming that he has the votes, why don't they just go pass the bill?

    What does bashing Republicans for trying to "block" it accomplish?

    You have answered neither of those questions. Claiming you have is either dishonesty or knuckle-dragging droolery.


    Sorry, you have no point.

    Your question was, Democrats have the votes to pass the bill so why is Pres Obama criticizing Republicans who are trying to kill reform because they believe it's good politics.


    Democrats WILL pass the bill.
    And ..... Republicans who are trying to kill reform because they believe it's good politics deserve to be criticized.

  2. #102
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,519

    Re: Obama Criticizes Republicans for Blocking Health Care Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    What do you mean by you all? I haven't stated anything about the bill but rather Republicans lack of compromise while expecting the democrats to acquiesce.



    And pogue once again starts in with his obfuscation of irrellevancy...


    Perhaps if you took a stand, people wouldn't have to guess...
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  3. #103
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: Obama Criticizes Republicans for Blocking Health Care Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    And pogue once again starts in with his obfuscation of irrellevancy...


    Perhaps if you took a stand, people wouldn't have to guess...
    I just know how much it gets on your nerves rev I was in a discussion with someone about compromising. Nothing irrellevant its where the topic went for a while.

  4. #104
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,542

    Re: Obama Criticizes Republicans for Blocking Health Care Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    Sorry, you have no point.

    Your question was, Democrats have the votes to pass the bill so why is Pres Obama criticizing Republicans who are trying to kill reform because they believe it's good politics.
    No.

    The original question was, the votes are there to pass the bill, so what's the problem he's addressing?

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1058253262

    Want to take an actual crack at it? You never have.


    But I'll also ask again -- what does it accomplish to whine about Republicans trying to "block" the bill when he says they CAN'T stop the bill?

    Answer: it's political theater, nothing more. Got a better answer? Let's see it. Be specific.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  5. #105
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Obama Criticizes Republicans for Blocking Health Care Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I will reply to this one. The problem is that while yes, the republicans have presented bills to committee, they have not promoted those bills, or anything other than saying "no". If you write a long post on a topic in a word processor on your computer, and file it away on your hard disc without telling any one about it, you are not promoting that post. This is very much like what the republicans have done. The only way I could find out what republicans do want for health care reform is to read some overlong bill that is lacking in details. That is not effective presentation.
    This is just a further explanation as to how you moved the goalpost.

    You didnt ask "where have the Rebublicans promoted their bill" or "where is the GOP's effective presentation of their plan", you asked:

    Where are republicans saying what they would vote for?
    Where are republicans saying what they do want?
    The links I provided describe exactly that, and it is impossible to argue otherwise.

  6. #106
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,968

    Re: Obama Criticizes Republicans for Blocking Health Care Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I will reply to this one. The problem is that while yes, the republicans have presented bills to committee, they have not promoted those bills, or anything other than saying "no". If you write a long post on a topic in a word processor on your computer, and file it away on your hard disc without telling any one about it, you are not promoting that post. This is very much like what the republicans have done. The only way I could find out what republicans do want for health care reform is to read some overlong bill that is lacking in details. That is not effective presentation.
    There's nothing they CAN do.

    I see you responded to that one, but the reason for this is in my other post.

    To stop the health care reform bill that includes the public option which they and their constituents dislike so much they only have to get a few dems to agree with them.

    To push their views and actually promote it and get it past they'd have to get a majority of Democrats to agree with them to both get it to pass and have enough to prevent the likely veto that could occur.

    One is a hard task, but relatively achievable.

    The other is akin to playing 1 on 5 basketball, near impossible.

    Elected representitives are just like the rest of us. They need to sleep and eat. They live in a world where there's only 24 hours in a given day and only 7 days in a given week. They can only spend so much time doing certain things.

    If they spent all their time CURRENTLY trying to push bills that had .00001% chance of actually passing instead of focusing on stopping something that currently the overwhelming majority of their voters dislike and don't want then they are severely wasting their time, and severly wasting the time and money of those that voted for them.

    They'd be serving their constituents a hair better than if they were just banging their head against a wall if they did that, because it's a completely fruitless endevour.

    Now, if this bill dies and something comes up WITHOUT a public option, and in such a way that their constituents could accept some form of compromise on other issues, then that's the time to truly be pushing ahead saying "Lets try this idea, lets try this one". But right now its more important to kill A PUBLIC OPTION than it is to push for Health Care Reform, because its more likely and thus a better use of their time for it to happen that way. That does not mean they're against Reform, or don't have ideas, or wouldn't compromise, but it means there's a far greater issue for them and their consitutents at play now that makes it not worth wasting time trying to push the impossible.

  7. #107
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Obama Criticizes Republicans for Blocking Health Care Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    No.

    The original question was, the votes are there to pass the bill, so what's the problem he's addressing?

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1058253262

    Want to take an actual crack at it? You never have.


    But I'll also ask again -- what does it accomplish to whine about Republicans trying to "block" the bill when he says they CAN'T stop the bill?

    Answer: it's political theater, nothing more. Got a better answer? Let's see it. Be specific.


    Sorry, that little sidestep didn't work. The 'problem' was the thread topic - Obama criticizing obstructionist Republicans.


    Unless you didn't remember the topic of the thread? That's happened before .....


    Or, unless you didn't understand the sentence that Obama said? Cuz I could believe that too. He outlined obstructionism for the sake of politics as deserving criticism.

  8. #108
    Student JakeFromWI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Stevens Point, WI
    Last Seen
    10-13-10 @ 05:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    282

    Re: Obama Criticizes Republicans for Blocking Health Care Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    Obama Criticizes Republicans for Blocking Health Care Bill - Political News - FOXNews.com


    WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama said he is confident Congress will pass "a good health care bill," as months of rancor over reforming the nation's health care system seemed to be easing Sunday, with the White House playing down an immediate role for a government insurance option.

    At the same time, Obama was critical of Republican opponents who he said were trying to block an overhaul of the nation's heath care system for political gain.

    "I believe that we will have enough votes to pass not just any health care bill, but a good health care bill that helps the American people, reduces costs, actually over the long-term controls our deficit. I'm confident that we've got that," Obama said in an interview broadcast Sunday on CBS' "60 Minutes. "There are those in the Republican party who think the best thing to do is just to kill reform. That that will be good politics."

    Hmmm someone in the White House needs to inform Mr. Obama it's just not some folks in the Republican party who want this thing to be killed off. The last time I looked allot of "AMERICANS" from all sides of the Political Spectrum want this thing to be killed off. but hey typical Demogod attacks blame it on the Republicans and if that doesn't work then go after the So-Called Right Wing Folks never mind the actually truth out there. Once again Mr. Obama is lieing threw his Teeth and he knows it.
    The problem is they want to BLOCK it. You say it yourself! The right refuses to work with BOTH sides. The right has great ideas and the feels a public OPTION is necessary for those who are still left out.

    The Republicans are trying to block a bill that they should be helping to create. I criticize that as well.
    and so it goes...

  9. #109
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,301
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Criticizes Republicans for Blocking Health Care Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    There's nothing they CAN do.

    I see you responded to that one, but the reason for this is in my other post.

    To stop the health care reform bill that includes the public option which they and their constituents dislike so much they only have to get a few dems to agree with them.

    To push their views and actually promote it and get it past they'd have to get a majority of Democrats to agree with them to both get it to pass and have enough to prevent the likely veto that could occur.

    One is a hard task, but relatively achievable.

    The other is akin to playing 1 on 5 basketball, near impossible.

    Elected representitives are just like the rest of us. They need to sleep and eat. They live in a world where there's only 24 hours in a given day and only 7 days in a given week. They can only spend so much time doing certain things.

    If they spent all their time CURRENTLY trying to push bills that had .00001% chance of actually passing instead of focusing on stopping something that currently the overwhelming majority of their voters dislike and don't want then they are severely wasting their time, and severly wasting the time and money of those that voted for them.

    They'd be serving their constituents a hair better than if they were just banging their head against a wall if they did that, because it's a completely fruitless endevour.

    Now, if this bill dies and something comes up WITHOUT a public option, and in such a way that their constituents could accept some form of compromise on other issues, then that's the time to truly be pushing ahead saying "Lets try this idea, lets try this one". But right now its more important to kill A PUBLIC OPTION than it is to push for Health Care Reform, because its more likely and thus a better use of their time for it to happen that way. That does not mean they're against Reform, or don't have ideas, or wouldn't compromise, but it means there's a far greater issue for them and their consitutents at play now that makes it not worth wasting time trying to push the impossible.
    I think we are kinda talking about two different things. The action is not in congress, it's before the American people. Right now the battle is for "hearts and minds". There are two ways to fight this battle: you can either complain about the other guys stance, or present your own better stance. In front of the people, the republicans have chosen the former. Yes, it is the easier path, but it leaves them open to the criticism of being "the party of no".

    The question also arises that if republicans want health care reform, why don't we have it? Would they have been unable to pass it when they had the executive and legislative? Over the last 3 presidents, only one has not worked for health care, and you can guess what party he was in. All the protestations that republicans actually are for health care ring hollow in the face of facts.

  10. #110
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,542

    Re: Obama Criticizes Republicans for Blocking Health Care Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    Sorry, that little sidestep didn't work. The 'problem' was the thread topic - Obama criticizing obstructionist Republicans.


    Unless you didn't remember the topic of the thread? That's happened before .....
    There's no sidestep; you responded directly to my question. You didn't actually answer it, but you responded to it. I'd suggest that now complaining that it's off-topic simply makes it appear as though you're avoiding it.

    (Which, mostly likely, is true.)

    If you think it's off-topic, report it, ignore it, or say that it's off-topic at the time. But after this lengthy exchange, now it's suddenly the tack you want to take? Not credible in the least.


    Or, unless you didn't understand the sentence that Obama said? Cuz I could believe that too. He outlined obstructionism for the sake of politics as deserving criticism.
    Yes, which is hypocritical of him, because he's talking about "obstructionism" which HE SAYS can't actually "obstruct" anything -- which means he's doing it for the "sake of politics" himself. Thus, he deserves the same criticism for the same reason.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •