Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 113

Thread: US penalizes Chinese tires, infuriating Beijing

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-25-09 @ 04:40 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    669

    Re: US penalizes Chinese tires, infuriating Beijing

    It is not cultural; the Chinese always put profit before culture, it is simply Tibetian monk foreskins are a cheap raw material. Other than Tibetians themselves it is the leading export.

    And the search for cheap raw materials is a Chinese specialty.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-25-09 @ 04:40 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    669

    Re: US penalizes Chinese tires, infuriating Beijing

    Mind you, the US picking economic fights with a Chinese that pretty much holds the US mortgage if you will, and even if you won't (that is what happens when one culture makes things and the other only consumes things) , is probably a case of the US circumcising the wrong prick.

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-25-09 @ 04:40 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    669

    Re: US penalizes Chinese tires, infuriating Beijing

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Libman View Post

    And the Tibet issue is not so black-n-white. I do support all secession movements (local government is slightly less evil than distant one, and inter-governmental competition is a sure path to greater liberty), but you'd be replacing pragmatic state capitalism of China with an economically-backward theocracy... Something to think about...
    Unlike the Chinese I don't presume to replace anything in Tibet, I would leave that up to them, just as I would leave China up to the Chinese people rather than the parasitic Chinese Post Communist Party.

    Say Parasitic Chinese Post Communist Party five times while eathing freid rice, I dare ya.
    Last edited by JW Frogen; 09-13-09 at 01:25 AM.

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    12-10-11 @ 02:19 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,122

    Arrow Re: US penalizes Chinese tires, infuriating Beijing

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    They have to meet EPA standards before they are allowed to be sold in the first place.

    Importation will be restricted on that alone, so they'll do that or they won't sell them here.
    If they somehow do get them in the country to be sold when the purchaser brings the information to the state for processing of title and registration they will most likely be denied which will cause them to not be able to sell those.
    So all of that adds up to :

    They ain't gonna be sold here no way no how.

    So they are not a consideration in the dispute regarding tires.

  5. #35
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: US penalizes Chinese tires, infuriating Beijing

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Libman View Post
    You say "dumping" as if it's a bad thing.
    Because it is? Dumping is inherently anti-competitive as deliberately distorts prices to remove competition only to see the dumper raise prices artificially above what the market price is. Dumping can be used as an economic weapon of war, particularly if the government is subsidizing the losses to deliberately damage the economy of a specific country.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    11-01-09 @ 01:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    829

    Re: US penalizes Chinese tires, infuriating Beijing

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Because it is? Dumping is inherently anti-competitive as deliberately distorts prices to remove competition only to see the dumper raise prices artificially above what the market price is. Dumping can be used as an economic weapon of war, particularly if the government is subsidizing the losses to deliberately damage the economy of a specific country.
    No, government interventionism is inherently anti-competitive. Selling a product at a loss is a dangerous business maneuver that can backfire. It also benefits the consumers. This isn't the 19th century - when the "dumper" runs out of money, the competitive environment can be restored rather quickly.

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: US penalizes Chinese tires, infuriating Beijing

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Definitely. People are forgetting who gets screwed if we start this kind of tariff. It's not just the Chinese, but Americans as well.
    Far from it, First all of the Company's I listed moved there Plants and Jobs outside of the USA to get away from Labor and EPA Rules fine then there should be some sort of backlash on this. Oh and wher do you think all of those stuff that are now being made that used to be made in the USA are going to yep right back into the USA. So to stop this you make it simple 100% Tarrit's on these items and tell these companies you want the product to come back in the USA then you re-open the Plants you closed and rehire and train new folks.

    But lets not stop with Textile and the Companies I listed lets add ship Building tot his list along with Steel Industry. Tell all of these US Based Cargo and Oil Tankers that you must have Xamount of US Build Ships in your Fleet.

    The reason America is in the problem we are in is Congress sat back on there hands over the past 35+ Years and let stuff be outsourced.
    Last edited by Scorpion89; 09-13-09 at 04:00 AM.

  8. #38
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: US penalizes Chinese tires, infuriating Beijing

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    The reason America is in the problem we are in is Congress sat back on there hands over the past 35+ Years and let stuff be outsourced.
    I think that your sentence requires a little more nuance. We didn't let jobs get outsourced, we encouraged jobs to be outsourced.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: US penalizes Chinese tires, infuriating Beijing

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    I think that your sentence requires a little more nuance. We didn't let jobs get outsourced, we encouraged jobs to be outsourced.
    No we didn't in New England the Textile Industry closed and moved out because of High Labor Cost and EPA . John Deer closed it's three Tractor Plants in the USA due to the fact they didn't want to re-do the Union Contracts. Mars Candy moved it's sugar Refinning Plant to Costa Rica because of Labor and EPA Rules.

  10. #40
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: US penalizes Chinese tires, infuriating Beijing

    Corporate tax? Payroll tax? EPA? Lawsuits because of the Civil Rights Act? ADA?

    We make this country a very unfriendly business environment.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •