Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 109

Thread: Officials: Discovery of Weapons Cache Suggests Iranian Meddling in Afghan War

  1. #21
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Officials: Discovery of Weapons Cache Suggests Iranian Meddling in Afghan War

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    And if we did something when Russia was waring in Mexico, we could expect a response from Russia in retaliation. Just ike Iran should be prepared fo our response for killing American soldiers.
    Fair enough, and in our scenario Russia most likely had no legitimate reason to be in Mexico or Canada. We had legitimate reason to be in Afghanistan, it's just that we shouldn't be surprised that the people we've pissed off the most and have very poor relations with are helping the people we're fighting. The enemy of my enemy is my friend sort of thing.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #22
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,319

    Re: Officials: Discovery of Weapons Cache Suggests Iranian Meddling in Afghan War

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Fair enough, and in our scenario Russia most likely had no legitimate reason to be in Mexico or Canada. We had legitimate reason to be in Afghanistan, it's just that we shouldn't be surprised that the people we've pissed off the most and have very poor relations with are helping the people we're fighting. The enemy of my enemy is my friend sort of thing.
    I'm not surprised, at all. Alls I'm saying, is that it's time to retaliate against Iran. I say we drop a few thousand tons of munitions on Tehran, then see if they're willing to bow out of the war in Afghanistan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #23
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Officials: Discovery of Weapons Cache Suggests Iranian Meddling in Afghan War

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I'm not surprised, at all. Alls I'm saying, is that it's time to retaliate against Iran. I say we drop a few thousand tons of munitions on Tehran, then see if they're willing to bow out of the war in Afghanistan.
    I don't know if that's a good solution. We've been at war over there for what...like 8 years now. I don't know if starting another war with another country in the same area is going to do anything good for us. Besides bog us down even further. It just seems like there's always call for more and more war, and perpetual warfare is not going to do us any good. Not for our people, our liberty, or our economy.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #24
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,319

    Re: Officials: Discovery of Weapons Cache Suggests Iranian Meddling in Afghan War

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I don't know if that's a good solution. We've been at war over there for what...like 8 years now. I don't know if starting another war with another country in the same area is going to do anything good for us. Besides bog us down even further. It just seems like there's always call for more and more war, and perpetual warfare is not going to do us any good. Not for our people, our liberty, or our economy.
    it'll be a good oppurtunity to kill more jihadists. I don't see how that can be a negative. I doubt anyone is going to complain if the mullahs are removed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Officials: Discovery of Weapons Cache Suggests Iranian Meddling in Afghan War

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    it'll be a good oppurtunity to kill more jihadists. I don't see how that can be a negative. I doubt anyone is going to complain if the mullahs are removed.
    First off, in the process of killing jihadists we're going to take out many civilians. Second, the culture in the ME most amicable towards western style republic is most probably Iran. They have the demographics and education for it, I think it can be more highly encouraged there and adopted there than any other country in the ME. Now, of course there is theocratic control right now; but just outright bombing the country and killing civilians may not be the way to foster better relations which can lead to the establishment of a democratic republic. Third, does this end? A good opportunity to kill more jihadists...but you'll make more by doing so. You're just playing out the propaganda they purport. Fourth, does this end? Perpetual warfare is not good, it will not lead to nice places; it puts our people, our liberty, our economy at risk.

    I think we have to start thinking of consequences of our actions before we just start acting out. We are not on a sustainable road here and it's very important to realize that.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #26
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,896
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Officials: Discovery of Weapons Cache Suggests Iranian Meddling in Afghan War

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Exactly what you are talking about? We use phosphorous all the time, its not a war crime.
    It depends on how it is used iirc. I think you're not s'posed to target people with it. I may be mis-remembering though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    The most amazing thing about this news is how LITTLE play it is getting. Why do you think that is?
    Perhaps because of it's sketchy nature.

    DoD spokesman:
    It was unclear when the weapons were ferried into Afghanistan and whether the Tehran government played a role in shipping the arms, Whitman said.

    It's worth noting that the article in the OP cites allegations that Iran is supporting the Taleban and Karzai.
    I may be wrong.

  7. #27
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,319

    Re: Officials: Discovery of Weapons Cache Suggests Iranian Meddling in Afghan War

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    First off, in the process of killing jihadists we're going to take out many civilians. Second, the culture in the ME most amicable towards western style republic is most probably Iran. They have the demographics and education for it, I think it can be more highly encouraged there and adopted there than any other country in the ME. Now, of course there is theocratic control right now; but just outright bombing the country and killing civilians may not be the way to foster better relations which can lead to the establishment of a democratic republic. Third, does this end? A good opportunity to kill more jihadists...but you'll make more by doing so. You're just playing out the propaganda they purport. Fourth, does this end? Perpetual warfare is not good, it will not lead to nice places; it puts our people, our liberty, our economy at risk.

    I think we have to start thinking of consequences of our actions before we just start acting out. We are not on a sustainable road here and it's very important to realize that.

    Doing nothing while Iran kills our troops isn't the answer. I would rather kill a few thousand Iranian civilians than lose one American soldier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #28
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Officials: Discovery of Weapons Cache Suggests Iranian Meddling in Afghan War

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Doing nothing while Iran kills our troops isn't the answer. I would rather kill a few thousand Iranian civilians than lose one American soldier.
    You know, the way to prevent the death of American soldiers is to not engage in undeclared, occupational wars against an entrenched and supported enemy. If instead we acted on defense instead of offense...you know, like not having doing Iraq. If you're really concerned with the lives of soldiers, then you have to question and analyze what it is that we call them up for.

    I'd rather we didn't run around killing innocent civilians and engaging in forever wars. Plus apparently we don't quite know if it was Tehran shipping the arms, so I don't think we should get into another war based on half-assed data and hyperbole. That's not going so well for us.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #29
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,319

    Re: Officials: Discovery of Weapons Cache Suggests Iranian Meddling in Afghan War

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    You know, the way to prevent the death of American soldiers is to not engage in undeclared, occupational wars against an entrenched and supported enemy. If instead we acted on defense instead of offense...you know, like not having doing Iraq. If you're really concerned with the lives of soldiers, then you have to question and analyze what it is that we call them up for.

    I'd rather we didn't run around killing innocent civilians and engaging in forever wars.
    Isolationaism isn't the long term answer. We tried that one once, and a half million Americans died.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #30
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Officials: Discovery of Weapons Cache Suggests Iranian Meddling in Afghan War

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Isolationaism isn't the long term answer. We tried that one once, and a half million Americans died.
    It's not isolationism. There is plenty of room for diplomacy and trade. It's simply not interventionism. That's what gets us into trouble.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •