Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 260

Thread: Fines proposed for going without health insurance

  1. #161
    Advisor TheHat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-17-13 @ 06:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    551

    Re: Fines proposed for going without health insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Totally disagree
    Our government would not have to be doing this if the people, all of the people would be fully responsible for their health care.

    Medicare, for what it does , is, IMO, a joke, and not a funny one....Its a result of political compromise. .and, as dirty as politics are, should be flushed down the toilet.
    The powers of government should be flexible? and not set in concrete? Huh?

    We have a Constitution specifically outlining the powers of government, b/c the founders knew that the federal government would eventually try and accumulate all power unto itself. Flexibility comes at the state level, not the federal, unless Congress by 2/3 majority votes in a new amendment. That is the built in flexibility.

    People are not responsible for their healthcare b/c they know government is out there with an open hand. There will always be a certain segment of any society that simply doesnt want to do what they should for themselves. You dont cater to that segment by enslaving the larger portion to the same mindset.

    Medicaid, was set up to take care of the very problem we are talking about today. That was created 50 years ago. Safe to say that failed too. Which begs the question, why are people clamoring for the same entity to create another program, when it cant run the 2 or 3 it already legislated into law?

  2. #162
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Fines proposed for going without health insurance

    Does the proposal actually make it illegal, or just levy fines?

    If it does make it illegal, does it create a federal misdemeanor? Felony?

    If you do not have health insurance, are you arrested by the FBI, taken to court, arraigned and then tried?

    If not, then it is a bill of attainder in that it declares a person or group of persons guilty of some crime and then punishes them without benefit of a trial.

    Or...is it a civil penalty?

    A civil penalty is when a government agency fines an individual as restitution for wrongdoing by the individual. The civil fine is not a criminal punishment, because it is primarily sought in order to compensate the state for harm done to it, rather than to punish the wrongful conduct.

    For this to then apply, not having health insurance must be 'wrongful conduct' and be harmful to the federal government in terms of a cost to same.

    Neither of these positions are supportable, ESPECIALLY if the person in question has not had any health care costs paid not by the federal government.

    One must wonder what the costs of all those arrests, araignments and trials would be -- and how, exactly, the government would know that you committed the crime in the first place.

  3. #163
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Fines proposed for going without health insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The bill would place a 4% tax on companies that out $200,000 in payroll, who elected not to provide insurance for their employees. The tax rate goes up to 8% at $400,000 and above.
    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    I won't disagree with you on the later part of your post above, but you're not quite right on your take on small businesses being taxed.

    There's atlelast three sections in H.R. 3200 and atleast one in the Policy Option that caters directly to taxation on small business (2-50 employees, if I remember the number correctly). Small business would fall in a completely different "tax bracket", so to speak, and would NOT be looked at in the same way as major corporations/state-government would. I'm sure the numbers you've quoted are for major corporations. For small business, H.R. 3200 provides tons of credits to help them offset the cost for providing health care coverage to their employees. In fact, there's very little in it that outlines imposing a tax on them, but I'm sure they'd be penalized just the same for not providing health care coverage for their employees just as big businesses would. Point is, businesses large and small would get help to defray the cost of health care.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Businesses, small and large, fall under the same tax laws. Small businesses don't get any breaks that large businesses don't get. There is no destinction between small and large businesses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    But this would change under both H.R. 3200 and the Policy Option once it becomes an actually bill out of the Senate.

    Again, don't rely on talking points. Read both bills for yourself. As you're obviously a Conservative, I suggest (once again) that you (at least) read the Policy Option, if you haven't already done so. (And if you have, it should be a good refresher for this debate ).
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Show us in the bill where it says that.
    See the chart(s) on page 150 and 184 of H.R. 3200 pertaining to the payroll limits as they would apply to the amount of excise taxes small business would pay as a penalty for not providing their employees health care coverage. I should also add that the Policy Option specifically states on page 7:

    "The tax exclusion for employer-provided health insurance allowed under current law would continue to apply in a case where the small business opts to purchase through the Exchange."
    (Note: This is the first and last time I'll do your homework for you. Again, don't rely on what you hear about health care reform; read the bill and/or proposals for yourself.)

  4. #164
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Fines proposed for going without health insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHat View Post
    Do you expect an entire industry which is about to be run out of business to simply go out of business b/c the government wants their entire market?
    Total insurance co/GOP BS!

  5. #165
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,306

    Re: Fines proposed for going without health insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHat View Post
    Really care to provide defense for that?




    Here is the kicker to all you liberals. Your party, the Democrat Party, passed Medicaid back in the 1960s to cover the very thing we are still talking about covering today.

    Yet you guys want a total revamp of the medical industry, instead of simply tweeking your own party's legislation to cover those it was suppose to cover 50 years ago.

    Face it, your own progressive liberal kingdom, is falling all around you and you dont even see it. If we have to create a whole new program, then that means the previous programs set in place by the very same group of people has failed to live up to its original intent.

    But we wont talk about that, no, instead we are gonna talk about handing the government a power which it was never meant to have and should never have.
    Liberal government programs NEVER EVER FAIL, but definition. It will never be admitted, but only spun by saying it was under funded, managed by the wrong people, and/or loopholed by greedy CEOs.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #166
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Fines proposed for going without health insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    See the chart(s) on page 150 and 184 of H.R. 3200 pertaining to the payroll limits as they would apply to the amount of excise taxes small business would pay as a penalty for not providing their employees health care coverage. I should also add that the Policy Option specifically states on page 7:



    (Note: This is the first and last time I'll do your homework for you. Again, don't rely on what you hear about health care reform; read the bill and/or proposals for yourself.)
    I've already seen the information. The non-elected employers, who pay out a minimum of $200,000 a year in payroll, have to pay a 4%, 6%, or 8% healthcare tax. It doesn'ttake a very large company to pa out $200,000 in annual payroll.

    Employers, of any size, will be required to either purchase insurance, at about $3,000+ a year per employee, or pay the tax. There's no distinction between my business and a company like Exxon, or Kellogs. If there is a special consideration given to sall businesses, I would love to see it. You haven't done your own homework, so you srely haven't done mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #167
    Advisor TheHat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-17-13 @ 06:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    551

    Re: Fines proposed for going without health insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    Total insurance co/GOP BS!
    Oh really? Tell me, have you been paying attention to the words of Barack Obama now and in the past?

    I assume not, otherwise you wouldnt be responding to my comments.

    There is no BS in what I said. It is all true. Their plan is to get rid of private insurance altogether. You should seriously pay attention before commenting on stuff.

    He has been pretty blunt about it in the past. Funny that you defend a guy you know absolutely nothing about.

  8. #168
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,306

    Re: Fines proposed for going without health insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHat View Post
    Oh really? Tell me, have you been paying attention to the words of Barack Obama now and in the past?

    I assume not, otherwise you wouldnt be responding to my comments.

    There is no BS in what I said. It is all true. Their plan is to get rid of private insurance altogether. You should seriously pay attention before commenting on stuff.

    He has been pretty blunt about it in the past. Funny that you defend a guy you know absolutely nothing about.
    It'll eventually "wither on the vine."

    Obama's 'Wither on the vine' moment | Washington Examiner
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #169
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Fines proposed for going without health insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHat View Post
    Hey, ya want to know what kind of financial aid is out there for those who cant afford it? The Democrats passed something back in the 1960s called Medicaid. How about just fixing that and stop with all this overhaul of the medial industry which isnt needed?
    Do you understand how Medicaid works? Not everyone is covered. Not all conditions are covered. Even being poor doesn't automatically make you eligible. How exactly do you suggest we "fix it"?
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #170
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Fines proposed for going without health insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Does the proposal actually make it illegal, or just levy fines?

    If it does make it illegal, does it create a federal misdemeanor? Felony?

    If you do not have health insurance, are you arrested by the FBI, taken to court, arraigned and then tried?

    If not, then it is a bill of attainder in that it declares a person or group of persons guilty of some crime and then punishes them without benefit of a trial.

    Or...is it a civil penalty?

    A civil penalty is when a government agency fines an individual as restitution for wrongdoing by the individual. The civil fine is not a criminal punishment, because it is primarily sought in order to compensate the state for harm done to it, rather than to punish the wrongful conduct.

    For this to then apply, not having health insurance must be 'wrongful conduct' and be harmful to the federal government in terms of a cost to same.

    Neither of these positions are supportable, ESPECIALLY if the person in question has not had any health care costs paid not by the federal government.

    One must wonder what the costs of all those arrests, araignments and trials would be -- and how, exactly, the government would know that you committed the crime in the first place.
    Wondering why those that support the idea of fines for those that do not have health insurance have not addressed this...

Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •