Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 56

Thread: White House releases text of Obama's 9/8 speech to America's schoolchildren

  1. #21
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: White House releases text of Obama's 9/8 speech to America's schoolchildren

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I disagree, because before long, it would be just another political pulpit.
    Perhaps. However, if they stick to that kind of a non-agenda driven message, I have no problems with it.

  2. #22
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,488

    Re: White House releases text of Obama's 9/8 speech to America's schoolchildren

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    Perhaps. However, if they stick to that kind of a non-agenda driven message, I have no problems with it.
    I say we don't do it all, then there's no chance of it going arigh. One of those little safegaurds that make free country safe from tyranny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #23
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: White House releases text of Obama's 9/8 speech to America's schoolchildren

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I say we don't do it all, then there's no chance of it going arigh. One of those little safegaurds that make free country safe from tyranny.
    Safe from the tyranny of urging kids to stay in school and work hard?

  4. #24
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,488

    Re: White House releases text of Obama's 9/8 speech to America's schoolchildren

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    Safe from the tyranny of urging kids to stay in school and work hard?
    Safe from some charliton showing up on the scene and using that venue as a way to indoctrinate our children. Don't call it paranoid, acting as if it's never happened before, because it has. I say we play it safe and just stay away from the practice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #25
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: White House releases text of Obama's 9/8 speech to America's schoolchildren

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Safe from some charliton showing up on the scene and using that venue as a way to indoctrinate our children. Don't call it paranoid, acting as if it's never happened before, because it has. I say we play it safe and just stay away from the practice.
    That's why I said I have no problem with it as long as they stick to that kind of a non-agenda driven message.

  6. #26
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,488

    Re: White House releases text of Obama's 9/8 speech to America's schoolchildren

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    That's why I said I have no problem with it as long as they stick to that kind of a non-agenda driven message.
    There's no gaurantee that a president will stick to a non-agenda driven message. We're talking about politicians here, afterall. It's Pandora's box, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #27
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: White House releases text of Obama's 9/8 speech to America's schoolchildren

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    There's no gaurantee that a president will stick to a non-agenda driven message. We're talking about politicians here, afterall. It's Pandora's box, IMO.
    So if that's your problem, how about you complain when that happens rather than assume it will from the start?

    Granted, just because Reagan pushed his economic policies in his radio broadcasts to kid doesn't mean every politician will.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #28
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,755

    Re: White House releases text of Obama's 9/8 speech to America's schoolchildren

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    I can't help but wonder what the Libruls would have been saying had Bush done this.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  9. #29
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: White House releases text of Obama's 9/8 speech to America's schoolchildren

    i posted most of this on the thread that will not die, please forgive the repetitions

    it was a very good speech

    it was NOT the talk he would have given had this event not become such a political storm

    there was zero or almost zero self promotion in it, and we all know our dear president a lot better than that

    yes, a fine speech

    but a couple small problems

    1. he emphasized too much the responsibility of teachers, parents and the govt in each child's own personal growth and development, it's true obama did turn it to the student's role and job in his or her education, but then back again he went to what could be interpreted by normal kids looking for em as built in excuses

    2. it was too inner-city for a national audience, right speech but wrong group, 2/3 of these kids are not really experiencing the real tragedies the president so powerfully and appropriately points to, he should have given that part of his address only to that target audience

    3. the MEANING of this event, however, is still clear and unmistakable---our president, for whatever reasons, is unable to do something as inocuous as enter a hi school gym to talk to our kids without a near riot (politically speaking) breaking out

    that's very revealing

    this is how you know what's going on in politics, folks

    you gotta learn to read the signs

    and this one is huge

    now, one of the ways it works is this---

    all democrat elected representatives, they watch these things very closely

    they see that the president is besieged by enemies pretty much simply for saying hello

    then the prez comes to em needing a vote for health care...

    it doesn't look good, folks

    it doesn't look good

  10. #30
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: White House releases text of Obama's 9/8 speech to America's schoolchildren

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    I can't help but wonder what the Libruls would have been saying had Bush done this.
    Bush did do this both father and son no one bitched then

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •