Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 62

Thread: Tens of thousands protest Chavez in Venezuela

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Tens of thousands protest Chavez in Venezuela

    Tens of thousands protest Chavez in Venezuela | Latin America News | World News | Comcast.net

    CARACAS, Venezuela Tens of thousands marched through Venezuela's capital on Saturday to protest what they call growing authoritarianism by President Hugo Chavez.

    A few thousand of the president's backers held a separate counter-rally to express support for the government's policies.

    Anti-Chavez protesters, many of them wearing white, filled the streets of Caracas, denouncing recent arrests of opposition members for alleged violence during protests and a new education law that critics fear could lead to indoctrination in schools.

    "It's very concerning because education is Venezuela's future," said 23-year-old engineering student Carlos Delgado, who also complained of soaring inflation and rampant crime after more than a decade under Chavez.

    Very interesting that this protest came when Mr. Chavez is in Iran wonder if he will cut his trips short and return back to Venezuela.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Between Hollywood and Compton.
    Last Seen
    11-25-09 @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,497

    Re: Tens of thousands protest Chavez in Venezuela

    I have somewhat mixed sentiments about Chavez, but claims of his authoritarianism and tyrannical dictatorship don't have much merit, though I do believe he's excessively autocratic. That said, Delgado's claim of "no improvement" is decidedly untrue and flatly contradicted by statistical evidence of reduced unemployment and poverty brought about by the Chavez administration.

  3. #3
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    northern ca.
    Last Seen
    01-25-10 @ 02:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    184

    Re: Tens of thousands protest Chavez in Venezuela

    Quote Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
    I have somewhat mixed sentiments about Chavez, but claims of his authoritarianism and tyrannical dictatorship don't have much merit, though I do believe he's excessively autocratic. That said, Delgado's claim of "no improvement" is decidedly untrue and flatly contradicted by statistical evidence of reduced unemployment and poverty brought about by the Chavez administration.
    I have no proof of what I'm about to say,but you put a lot of faith in what you read and statistical evidence that is on the internet.
    Sometimes what is written and what is true are two very different things,especially in third world countries,and here also.

  4. #4
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Tens of thousands protest Chavez in Venezuela

    Looks like the people are speaking out, against Chavez. A revolution next door will be an interesting thing to watch.
    I wonder if the Russian Navy visiting is part of the upcoming soap opera?
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  5. #5
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Tens of thousands protest Chavez in Venezuela

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Looks like the people are speaking out, against Chavez. A revolution next door will be an interesting thing to watch.
    I wonder if the Russian Navy visiting is part of the upcoming soap opera?
    As long as Chavez makes improvements to the economy, through authotarianism or not, then the opposition will never be powerful enough to revolute.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  6. #6
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Tens of thousands protest Chavez in Venezuela

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    As long as Chavez makes improvements to the economy, through authotarianism or not, then the opposition will never be powerful enough to revolute.
    really depends on the military, will they be willing to fire on unarmed citizens if Chavez orders it?
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  7. #7
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Tens of thousands protest Chavez in Venezuela

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    really depends on the military, will they be willing to fire on unarmed citizens if Chavez orders it?
    All depends on his cult of personality

    If he can get the people to love him and see him as a divine, the way they saw Hitler, then you can bet your arse they will.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: Tens of thousands protest Chavez in Venezuela

    Well lets see what happens today if there as large of crowds as yesterday I could see Mr. Chavez cutting his trip short and heading back home.

    As for the Military yep that is the wild card in this whole thing. Allot of Officer were not to happen when Mr. Chavez arrest on of the most Popular General and there ahs been some rumbling in the Ranks.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Between Hollywood and Compton.
    Last Seen
    11-25-09 @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,497

    Re: Tens of thousands protest Chavez in Venezuela

    Quote Originally Posted by rudedog View Post
    I have no proof of what I'm about to say,but you put a lot of faith in what you read and statistical evidence that is on the internet.
    That's not true. I always try and balance my perspective, which has certainly been the case when it comes to Chavez and the Bolivarian Revolution specifically.

  10. #10
    Student Joe Castro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Glasgow, UK
    Last Seen
    06-15-10 @ 07:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    196

    Re: Tens of thousands protest Chavez in Venezuela

    It's not anything to worry about, or cheer for if you are an imperialist. The crowds are tiny in comparison to what pro Chavez rallies attract, and certainly far less than vote for President Chavez and the revolution. We have learned from 2002 that if these bandits and terrorists try to seize power then they will fail, the people will revolt.

    As for the point about the military, that is not going to happen. I have faith the military are not stupid, they saw in the coup what this "opposition" is, a violent, murderous beast. And Chavez is unlikely to order shots on unarmed people, if for nothing else, that is the tactic of the opposition, that is what they do, that is what the did in 2002 and Chavez is above their level.
    "His (Che Guevara) life is the story of our era's most perfect man" - Jean Paul Sartre

    FTQ

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •