Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 48

Thread: Gunmen kill 17 people at a drug rehab in Mexico

  1. #1
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,488

    Gunmen kill 17 people at a drug rehab in Mexico

    The move to decriminalize drugs is off to a really great start.

    Gunmen broke into a drug rehabilitation center and shot 17 people dead in a northern Mexican border city, an official said.

    The attackers on Wednesday broke down the door of El Aliviane center in Ciudad Juarez, lined up their victims against a wall and opened fire, said Arturo Sandoval, a spokesman for the regional prosecutors' office. At least five people were injured.

    My Way News - Gunmen kill 17 people at a drug rehab in Mexico
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #2
    Student MikeVFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    VT
    Last Seen
    01-24-12 @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    276

    Re: Gunmen kill 17 people at a drug rehab in Mexico

    This just proves how prohibition on drugs leads to more death, and breaking that prohibition is even harder.

  3. #3
    User cmckinney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Last Seen
    04-19-11 @ 08:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    65

    Re: Gunmen kill 17 people at a drug rehab in Mexico

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeVFF View Post
    This just proves how prohibition on drugs leads to more death, and breaking that prohibition is even harder.
    I'm sorry but that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. These people were trying to break the dangerous hold on that drugs had over their lives, and they were brutally murdered by those who would benefit most from drug legalization.
    I cannot trust a man to control others who cannot control himself.

  4. #4
    Advisor Richard Nixon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Last Seen
    10-26-16 @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    473

    Re: Gunmen kill 17 people at a drug rehab in Mexico

    Or it could be that rival drug dealers and cartel higher-ups go to rehabilitation places to protect themselves after they've been singled out for a hit? No excusing this, mind you, but that's the reason the cartels attack these places.

    Mexico is the real war zone.
    www.thecaffeinemachine.com - looking for main-page political writers, so if anyone is interested send a PM (apologies if that violates any rules)

  5. #5
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
    stevenb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, Az
    Last Seen
    11-28-09 @ 08:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,560

    Re: Gunmen kill 17 people at a drug rehab in Mexico

    Quote Originally Posted by cmckinney View Post
    I'm sorry but that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. These people were trying to break the dangerous hold on that drugs had over their lives, and they were brutally murdered by those who would benefit most from drug legalization.
    You're not serious are you?

    Ending prohibition almost bankrupted the mobs here who ran illegal liquor... until the gov made gambling and other rudimentary things illegal... so they could keep up the good fight of supplying black market goods / services and stay in power.
    George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to win the war with Britain... He shot them.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,053

    Re: Gunmen kill 17 people at a drug rehab in Mexico

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenb View Post
    You're not serious are you?

    Ending prohibition almost bankrupted the mobs here who ran illegal liquor... until the gov made gambling and other rudimentary things illegal... so they could keep up the good fight of supplying black market goods / services and stay in power.
    You name a single drug company or company of any kind who is willing to risk a single lawsuit from the first family of a kid who overdoses and I'll name you a company who has never heard the word bankruptcy. Drugs aren't like cigarettes, they aren't like alcohol. You can and thousands do die from their first use of drugs every year. How easy do you think it would be to sue a company selling glue or meth regardless of how many disclaimers they put on the package? Hell, people are still suing and winning against cigarette companies nearly 20 years after they starting putting disclaimers on their packages and phone books worth of research have come out on how dangerous they are. This silly understanding so many Libertarians have of drugs and how their market works is always astounding. Have Libertarians even met drug dealers? They'll fight drug companies tooth and nail for their billions of dollars in income. And I'm not talking about fighting in a court room. I'm not talking about creating a better product. I'm talking about them finding the owners of drug companies lining them up and doing the same thing they did to the poor bastards in the article. Do you think the same people who were shooting judges and cops in Colombia for the Medellin Cartel are going to have a problem with offing a few CEOs from the States? They wont let some CEO in Philly make money from what has been their business for years. Seriously. You know nothing of the drug world and this isn't the 1920s.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 09-04-09 at 02:17 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #7
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
    stevenb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, Az
    Last Seen
    11-28-09 @ 08:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,560

    Re: Gunmen kill 17 people at a drug rehab in Mexico

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    You name a single drug company or company of any kind who is willing to risk a single lawsuit from the first family of a kid who overdoses and I'll name you a company who has never heard the word bankruptcy. Drugs aren't like cigarettes, they aren't like alcohol. You can and thousands do die from their first use of drugs every year. How easy do you think it would be to sue a company selling glue or meth regardless of how many disclaimers they put on the package? Hell, people are still suing and winning against cigarette companies nearly 20 years after they starting putting disclaimers on their packages and phone books worth of research have come out on how dangerous they are. This silly understanding so many Libertarians have of drugs and how their market works is always astounding. Have Libertarians even met drug dealers? They'll fight drug companies tooth and nail for their billions of dollars in income. And I'm not talking about fighting in a court room. I'm not talking about creating a better product. I'm talking about them finding the owners of drug companies lining them up and doing the same thing they did to the poor bastards in the article. Do you think the same people who were shooting judges and cops in Colombia for the Medellin Cartel are going to have a problem with offing a few CEOs from the States? They wont let some CEO in Philly make money from what has been their business for years. Seriously. You know nothing of the drug world and this isn't the 1920s.
    Neat.


    My brother was / could still be a drug dealer for all I know.. (he's gone to prison since)... I've got quite a bit of experience with drug trafficking from secondary experience with him.

    Funny thing about that whole lawsuit thing, the gov could do just like they've done for guns.. You're responsible for you... not the company that made the product you knew could hurt you.

    To say that drug cartels would start killing CEOs is laughable at best.
    George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to win the war with Britain... He shot them.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gunmen kill 17 people at a drug rehab in Mexico

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The move to decriminalize drugs is off to a really great start.
    Why am I supposed to care about Mexico?

  9. #9
    Advisor Richard Nixon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Last Seen
    10-26-16 @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    473

    Re: Gunmen kill 17 people at a drug rehab in Mexico

    At the moment the violence is frighteningly close to the US. In Tijuana and Jaurez, I think.
    www.thecaffeinemachine.com - looking for main-page political writers, so if anyone is interested send a PM (apologies if that violates any rules)

  10. #10
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,053

    Re: Gunmen kill 17 people at a drug rehab in Mexico

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenb View Post
    Neat.

    My brother was / could still be a drug dealer for all I know.. (he's gone to prison since)... I've got quite a bit of experience with drug trafficking from secondary experience with him.
    This is the second time I've heard you use personal experience as a reference. Do you know how much that is worth in a discussion? Zero.

    Funny thing about that whole lawsuit thing, the gov could do just like they've done for guns.. You're responsible for you... not the company that made the product you knew could hurt you.
    What stupidity :

    If the sole purpose of guns was to kill people then you'd have a point. But it isn't. The sole purpose of the drugs that are illegal today with the small exception of marijuana is to get intoxicated. Meth, Coke, Heroin, name me a single person who uses it for medicinal purposes and you'll have a person who is bull****ting. And 'the government' hasn't done anything. Gun companies are still being sued for wrongful deaths ALL the time and people win ALL the time. Case and point :

    Suing Gun Manufacturers: Hazardous to Our Health - Study #223

    The mayors of Chicago and New Orleans have filed lawsuits on behalf of their cities against the gun industry, and two similar lawsuits filed on behalf of private citizens are already moving through the courts, with a mixed verdict rendered in one of the private suits. The Chicago suit and the private suits contend that (1) guns are a public nuisance and (2) gun manufacturers knowingly flood cities with more guns than they could expect to sell to law-abiding citizens, thus aiding criminals to obtain firearms. [The New Orleans lawsuit takes a different tack, alleging that without safety devices which would prevent unauthorized users from firing them, guns violate Louisiana's product liability laws.] The mayors argue that the firearms industry should reimburse their cities for the public health and safety costs associated with treating and preventing firearms injuries.

    Judge gives OK to frivolous NYC gun manufacturer lawsuit - Homeland Stupidity

    Federal judge Jack B. Weinstein on Friday ruled that New York City can proceed with its lawsuit against several gun manufacturers, despite a new federal law that was designed to prohibit such frivolous lawsuits.

    In his ruling, Judge Weinstein postponed a trial so the gun manufacturers could appeal.

    Gun makers named in the suit include Beretta U.S.A., Browning Arms, Colt Manufacturing, Glock and Smith & Wesson.
    Even foreign gun manufactures get sued :

    Crime victims can sue firearms dealer, rules 9th Circuit | International Relations & National Security > Weapons & Arms from AllBusiness.com

    A federal law protecting gun manufacturers from personal injury suits doesn't bar claims against an "unlicensed" foreign firearms dealer brought by the victims of a criminal shooting spree, the 9th Circuit has ruled.

    The ruling follows a similar decision issued in an earlier appeal of the case.
    Even stun guns get it :

    Judge rules stun gun company liable for death must pay lawyers $1.4 million | Justice News Flash | JusticeNewsFlash Release

    Heston was shocked over 30 times, with a Taser made device, while police were trying to subdue him in 2005. He died from the multiple shocks. In June 2008, a jury found Taser International, a Scottsdale, Arizona based company, liable for Hestonís death and returned a $6 million verdict. The jury found Taser failed to educate police officers that the device was not meant to be used repeatedly and could be harmful.
    To say that drug cartels would start killing CEOs is laughable at best.
    Really?

    FBI Warns Judges, Officials Drug Cartel May Target Them - The Washington Post | Encyclopedia.com

    Federal judges, prosecutors and other law enforcement officials nationwide have been warned that they may be targets of "bloody retaliation" by Colombia's Medellin drug cartel.

    A bulletin sent by the FBI said the warning was prompted by information obtained by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, Ron Ederer, U.S. attorney for the Western District of Texas, said today.
    Mexico cartels turning into full-scale mafias - Focus on Mexico- msnbc.com

    The expansion has major implications as President Felipe Calderon continues his 2 1/2-year-old drug war, which has killed more than 11,000 people and turned formerly tranquil rural towns such as Ciudad Hidalgo into major battlefronts.
    TV Crime Show Host 'Plotted Judge Murder' - Yahoo! News UK

    The TV host has been charged with drug trafficking, gang formation and weapons possession - but not any killings. He denies all the accusations against him.

    Souza allegedly ordered the murders of at least five competing drug traffickers.

    He then got a crew from his "Canal Livre" show to film exclusive footage at the crime scenes before police arrived, it is claimed.
    Seriously. You'd have to be a complete ignoramus to think that if they can murder 11,000 people in Mexico every year and judges all over South America they won't start killing off businessmen in America. This is just one more topic you're completely ignorant of.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •