Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 48

Thread: Gunmen kill 17 people at a drug rehab in Mexico

  1. #21
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Gunmen kill 17 people at a drug rehab in Mexico

    Quote Originally Posted by Realist1 View Post
    Make sure you take MORE DRUGS Mikey.
    Do you have anything to contribute here?
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  2. #22
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Gunmen kill 17 people at a drug rehab in Mexico

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    You name a single drug company or company of any kind who is willing to risk a single lawsuit from the first family of a kid who overdoses and I'll name you a company who has never heard the word bankruptcy. Drugs aren't like cigarettes, they aren't like alcohol. You can and thousands do die from their first use of drugs every year. How easy do you think it would be to sue a company selling glue or meth regardless of how many disclaimers they put on the package? Hell, people are still suing and winning against cigarette companies nearly 20 years after they starting putting disclaimers on their packages and phone books worth of research have come out on how dangerous they are.
    Last I heard, tobacco and alcohol made a lot of money. Your also right about tobacco and alcohol not being the same as illicit drugs. The first two kill and disease far more than all of the banned drugs combined. Even with lawsuits, there's plenty of money to be made. Just because you could't run an operation, doesn't make it impossible.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    This silly understanding so many Libertarians have of drugs and how their market works is always astounding. Have Libertarians even met drug dealers? They'll fight drug companies tooth and nail for their billions of dollars in income. And I'm not talking about fighting in a court room. I'm not talking about creating a better product. I'm talking about them finding the owners of drug companies lining them up and doing the same thing they did to the poor bastards in the article. Do you think the same people who were shooting judges and cops in Colombia for the Medellin Cartel are going to have a problem with offing a few CEOs from the States? They wont let some CEO in Philly make money from what has been their business for years. Seriously. You know nothing of the drug world and this isn't the 1920s.
    This is exactly what happened with the repeal of Prohibition, right? Last that I checked plenty of civillians were already getting caught in the cross fire of drug violence. Also, please go on on how the differances between now and the 1920s are at all relevant to this discussion
    Last edited by DrunkenAsparagus; 09-04-09 at 05:53 PM.

  3. #23
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Gunmen kill 17 people at a drug rehab in Mexico

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    I can't believe you're serious.

    Heroine and cocaine can never be regulated the way liquor is.

    LSD, PCP, crystal meth..? Yeah, they're all just like beer.
    OK, why are they differant from a regulator's viewpoint?

  4. #24
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: Gunmen kill 17 people at a drug rehab in Mexico

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    Last I heard, tobacco and alcohol made a lot of money. Your also right about tobacco and alcohol not being the same as illicit drugs. The first two kill and disease far more than all of the banned drugs combined. Even with lawsuits, there's plenty of money to be made. Just because you could't run an operation, doesn't make it impossible.
    And these deaths are caused by years of abuse aren't they? Making your argument a bit irrelevant. Cigarette makers label their product that prolonged use of their product can have serious side effects. How many 16 year old kids die from illegal drug use vs. how many die from alcohol and cigarettes? How will companies tell their customers that injecting themselves with heroin a single time can kill them? Like I said no company would take such a risk.

    This is exactly what happened with the repeal of Prohibition, right?
    Good job at bringing up the 1920s when I specifically stated that the product and era aren't even close to being the same.

    Last that I checked plenty of civillians were already getting caught in the cross fire of drug violence. Also, please go on on how the differances between now and the 1920s are at all relevant to this discussion
    Of course they are relevant and you'd have to be completely ignorant of the word context not realize this. Drug cartels from Mexico, Colombia, Bolivia in the 2000s and Al Capone don't operate under the same rules of engagement. American gangsters in the 1920s weren't killing politicians, cops, judges by the dozens to maintain their business. And even if they were they'd be considered tame by today's standards of violence. Like I said, you legalize anything other then marijuana and you'll be guaranteed that we'll be hearing about Pfizers CEO getting driveby-ed in front of his kids.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 09-04-09 at 08:45 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #25
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: Gunmen kill 17 people at a drug rehab in Mexico

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    OK, why are they differant from a regulator's viewpoint?
    Can you show us specifically what you'd regulate within the drug trade? I'm talking specifics. THC levels, chemicals used etc? I'd love a detailed list of all that you think should be regulated.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #26
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Gunmen kill 17 people at a drug rehab in Mexico

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Can you show us specifically what you'd regulate within the drug trade? I'm talking specifics. THC levels, chemicals used etc? I'd love a detailed list of all that you think should be regulated.
    I don't believe they should be regulated. How about we educate people instead? I know that's a foreign concept, considering the government is all about propaganda when it comes to drugs.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  7. #27
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: Gunmen kill 17 people at a drug rehab in Mexico

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    I don't believe they should be regulated. How about we educate people instead? I know that's a foreign concept, considering the government is all about propaganda when it comes to drugs.
    Ummmm they should be regulated. Just like we regulate the amount of sugar that goes into foods or the amount of alcohol in liquors. Or is Prohibition only a good example when it suits you? The market has proven a complete failure at regulating itself. Thousands of kids in China and America are poisoned every year because companies fail to warn their customers of dangerous chemicals in their products. I'm not willing to let the market regulate itself considering how big a failure it is at handling even the quality of milk.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 09-06-09 at 01:56 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #28
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Gunmen kill 17 people at a drug rehab in Mexico

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Ummmm they should be regulated.
    In your opinion. It should come as no surprise to you that not everyone shares your opinions.

    Just like we regulate the amount of sugar that goes into foods or the amount of alcohol in liquors.
    You assume that I approve of regulating sugar amounts in foods and alcohol levels.

    Or is Prohibition only a good example when it suits you?
    When did I say anything about prohibition?

    The market has proven a complete failure at regulating itself. Thousands of kids in China and America are poisoned every year because companies fail to warn their customers of dangerous chemicals in their products. I'm not willing to let the market regulate itself considering how big a failure it is at handling even the quality of milk.
    When have we given the market a fair shot at regulating itself? Please give me some examples.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  9. #29
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: Gunmen kill 17 people at a drug rehab in Mexico

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    When did I say anything about prohibition?
    You've use Prohibition before to back up your stance on legalizing drugs :

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    When have we given the market a fair shot at regulating itself? Please give me some examples.
    The best example of what happens when a government has no oversight over the companies or 'the market' operating in it's country is China. Their ridiculous growth has come at the price of allowing companies operating in it to pollute the country's landscape, poison it's citizens and bribe every politician in sight with the government only 'stepping' in to save face and most of the time not stepping in it all.

    This ridiculous perception you libertarians have that 'the market' is going to put profit behind quality is simply ridiculous given it's track record with little oversight. The market has NEVER made an attempt at regulating itself because it knew it wouldn't be cost effective. Even to this day you have companies like Wal-Mart opposing unions, getting little kids to build their toys and paying off government officials in other countries so that they won't come around and inspect the atrociously low safety nets they provide for workers they pay a few dollars a day. That is what the market does with little oversight.

    Poisoned milk scandal widens in China, top dairies implicated

    China's tainted milk crisis widened Friday after tests found the dangerous chemical melamine in the milk produced by three of the country's leading dairy companies.

    The news has prompted the Canadian Food Inspection Agency to test yogurt and milk products imported from the implicated dairy companies as a precautionary measure, while some Canadian vendors have been pulling the products from their shelves just to be safe.

    On Friday, about 10 per cent of liquid milk samples taken from China's two largest dairy producers — Mengniu Dairy Group Co. and Yili Industrial Group Co. — were found to contain melamine, according to the General Administration of Quality.
    China: Where Poisoning People Is Almost Free - Forbes.com

    In addition to its cheap labor costs, China has another comparative advantage as the world's factory: Companies often pay almost nothing to pollute China's air, water and soil and to poison its people.

    Need pliant workers to handle toxic chemicals? Wages are just $2.60 a day. What if the chemicals contaminate a town? Compensating a family of five costs just $732. Local water supply contamination makes 4,000 people vomit? That's just $7 per household. Cost of bribing local Chinese officials to look the other way rather than adhering to safety standards? Well, that's unknown, but given the frequency of China's pollution atrocities, apparently it is cost-effective.
    'Green' lightbulbs poison workers - Times Online

    WHEN British consumers are compelled to buy energy-efficient lightbulbs from 2012, they will save up to 5m tons of carbon dioxide a year from being pumped into the atmosphere. In China, however, a heavy environmental price is being paid for the production of “green” lightbulbs in cost-cutting factories.

    Large numbers of Chinese workers have been poisoned by mercury, which forms part of the compact fluorescent lightbulbs. A surge in foreign demand, set off by a European Union directive making these bulbs compulsory within three years, has also led to the reopening of mercury mines that have ruined the environment.

    Doctors, regulators, lawyers and courts in China - which supplies two thirds of the compact fluorescent bulbs sold in Britain - are increasingly alert to the potential impacts on public health of an industry that promotes itself as a friend of the earth but depends on highly toxic mercury.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 09-06-09 at 06:08 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #30
    Educator a777pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Flower Mound, in the basement
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 08:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    815

    Re: Gunmen kill 17 people at a drug rehab in Mexico

    Hey Mexico, how's that ban on private gun ownership working out for ya?
    I came into this world fighting, screaming and covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •