Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 161

Thread: Finger bitten off during California health protest

  1. #81
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: Finger bitten off during California health protest

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenb View Post
    Because you could yell fire in a crowded theater we should limit your rights to free speech.

    Funny how that works, right?

    I was under the impression that the United States legal system still worked under the premise innocent until proven guilty?

    gee.


    btw, the same argument you're using about people being stressed and all of that jive was the same one they used in AZ to fight us becoming a shall issue state.

    Let me see if I can recant what was said.. "There would be blood in the streets, and ordinary traffic incidents would become shootouts!".

    Funny, it's been quite a while and none of that has happened.




    My point is this:

    Historically places where people are forcibly disarmed by law.. are places where they are most susceptible to violent crime / murder.

    This has been proven in "No gun zones" and places such as New York City, and ****cago, Illinois... They have the most draconian gun laws on the books and still suffer from violent crime that includes weapons...

    Proving, that gun control.. and "gun free zones" are a farce.
    Historically? Do you have the statistics and information to show that somehow the two are related? Big cities that are crowded often have higher crime rates thats just common sense.

  2. #82
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,053

    Re: Finger bitten off during California health protest

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenb View Post
    Because you could yell fire in a crowded theater we should limit your rights to free speech.

    Funny how that works, right?

    I was under the impression that the United States legal system still worked under the premise innocent until proven guilty?
    More emotional pleas and irrelevant arguments. Just because you have the right to bear arms doesn't mean you get to walk into the white house with a gun either even though technically it's publicly owned and the people there are public servants. You simply do not understand that no matter how you twist it and how many emotional pleas you make THE LEVEL OF VIOLENCE BY GUN RELATED MURDERS, STABBINGS, FIGHTS ETC. IN OUR SCHOOLS DOES NOT JUSTIFY ARMING TEACHERS. I typed that really slowly slow. Did it help?

    gee.

    btw, the same argument you're using about people being stressed and all of that jive was the same one they used in AZ to fight us becoming a shall issue state.

    Let me see if I can recant what was said.. "There would be blood in the streets, and ordinary traffic incidents would become shootouts!".

    Funny, it's been quite a while and none of that has happened.
    .....Okay. What? Please keep it coherent.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #83
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
    stevenb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, Az
    Last Seen
    11-28-09 @ 08:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,560

    Re: Finger bitten off during California health protest

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    Historically? Do you have the statistics and information to show that somehow the two are related? Big cities that are crowded often have higher crime rates thats just common sense.
    No, it's not.


    Top 50 Cities in the U.S. by Population and Rank — Infoplease.com

    There are quite a few large cities on that list who are in Shall Issue states and states which are not draconian in their gun laws.

    They have very low violent crime numbers in comparison to other cities where there gun laws are draconian and their citizens are forcibly disarmed.

    Crime Rate by State, 2006 &mdash; Infoplease.com <-- Look at the numbers, they're quite telling.
    George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to win the war with Britain... He shot them.

  4. #84
    Sage
    akyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,463

    Re: Finger bitten off during California health protest

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    funny, i thought the person doing the shooting was responsble for those deaths. and for the record, i'm not anti-gun.

    i don't feel they have a place in SCHOOLS, however.

    and you certainly can't prove your post, so it's just your opinion, right?
    On October 16, 1991, Hennard drove his 1987 Ford Ranger pickup truck through the front window of a Luby's Cafeteria at 1705 East Central Texas Expressway in Killeen, yelled "This is what Bell County has done to me!", then opened fire on the restaurant's patrons and staff with a Glock 17 pistol and later a Ruger P89. He stalked, shot, and killed 23 people and wounded another 20 before committing suicide. About 80 people were in the restaurant at the time. The first victim was local veterinarian Dr. Michael Griffith, who ran up to the driver's side of the pickup truck to offer assistance after the truck came through the window. During the shooting, Hennard approached Suzanna Gratia Hupp and her parents. Hupp had actually brought a handgun to the Luby's Cafeteria that day but had left it in her vehicle because laws in force at the time forbade citizens from carrying firearms. According to her later testimony in favor of Missouri's HB-1720 bill[1] and in general [2][3], after she realized that her firearm was not in her purse but "a hundred feet away in [her] car," her father charged at Hennard in an attempt to subdue him but was gunned down; a short time later, Hupp's mother was also shot and killed. Hupp later expressed regret for abiding by the law in question by leaving her firearm in her car rather than keeping it on her person[1].



    What good are these laws when by definition only law abiding citizens follow them.?
    Thank you

  5. #85
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
    stevenb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, Az
    Last Seen
    11-28-09 @ 08:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,560

    Re: Finger bitten off during California health protest

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    More emotional pleas and irrelevant arguments. Just because you have the right to bear arms doesn't mean you get to walk into the white house with a gun either even though technically it's publicly owned and the people there are public servants. You simply do not understand that no matter how you twist it and how many emotional pleas you make THE LEVEL OF VIOLENCE BY GUN RELATED MURDERS, STABBINGS, FIGHTS ETC. IN OUR SCHOOLS DOES NOT JUSTIFY ARMING TEACHERS. I typed that really slowly slow. Did it help?



    .....Okay. What? Please keep it coherent.
    I was using schools as an example as to why Gun Free Zones are bad.

    Nowhere have I stated it's solely my purpose to arm teachers.

    I was giving examples of situations where something could have been done if there had been an armed response.

    Reducing incidents to numbers and saying.. "look it's not all that bad" doesn't change the fact that people are still becoming victims of violent crime in these "gun free zones".

    Nor does it change the significance that poses.
    George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to win the war with Britain... He shot them.

  6. #86
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: Finger bitten off during California health protest

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenb View Post
    No, it's not.


    Top 50 Cities in the U.S. by Population and Rank &mdash; Infoplease.com

    There are quite a few large cities on that list who are in Shall Issue states and states which are not draconian in their gun laws.

    They have very low violent crime numbers in comparison to other cities where there gun laws are draconian and their citizens are forcibly disarmed.

    Crime Rate by State, 2006 &mdash; Infoplease.com <-- Look at the numbers, they're quite telling.

    Okay you showed me a list of cities by population and then another list of violent crimes by states but didn't show the correlations by city. Do you have a violent crimes by cities list? Also you need show how one is caused by the other.

  7. #87
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
    stevenb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, Az
    Last Seen
    11-28-09 @ 08:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,560

    Re: Finger bitten off during California health protest

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    Okay you showed me a list of cities by population and then another list of violent crimes by states but didn't show the correlations by city. Do you have a violent crimes by cities list? Also you need show how one is caused by the other.
    I am out of time and unable to spoon feed you anymore data today.


    If you're serious about your queries in correlations and have an open mind about the problem at hand...


    read this book: Interview with John Lott, author of More Guns, Less Crime
    George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to win the war with Britain... He shot them.

  8. #88
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,053

    Re: Finger bitten off during California health protest

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenb View Post
    I was using schools as an example as to why Gun Free Zones are bad.
    And I asked you to provide evidence as to why. You couldn't. When I showed you information as to why they work 99% of the time you went on an emotional rant. Yes. Thank you for this very informative session on how your style of debate works. Make a claim. Have it destroyed and then cry.

    Nowhere have I stated it's solely my purpose to arm teachers.

    I was giving examples of situations where something could have been done if there had been an armed response.

    Reducing incidents to numbers and saying.. "look it's not all that bad" doesn't change the fact that people are still becoming victims of violent crime in these "gun free zones".

    Nor does it change the significance that poses.
    Coulda,shoulda,woulda. If I had wheels I'd be a bike. But I don't. See how that works? Quantum physics is amazing. The reality is that unless you're in an universe where every single human being has nothing but good thoughts going through his head 100% of the time, violence is unavoidable. When you claim that violence has reached a point where you can claim that gun free zones are failures then it's up to you to support this claim. You haven't. I've waited for 2 pages of this evidence but all you can show is the times it hasn't worked. 0000.0X% of the time. It is still no reason to arm teachers or arm whomever it is you want to arm.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #89
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: Finger bitten off during California health protest

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenb View Post
    I am out of time and unable to spoon feed you anymore data today.


    If you're serious about your queries in correlations and have an open mind about the problem at hand...


    read this book: Interview with John Lott, author of More Guns, Less Crime
    Spoonfed? You haven't given any correlating data. Instead you talked about cities then showed me states couldn't show causation now you want me to read a book. If you make a point prove it

  10. #90
    Student MikeVFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    VT
    Last Seen
    01-24-12 @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    276

    Re: Finger bitten off during California health protest

    I think the title of this thread should read "Does liberalism result in Zombie Transformation?"

    No, in all seriousness, thats crazy. I wonder if limb dismemberment by angry protestors is covered in the helthcare bill

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •