Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 161

Thread: Finger bitten off during California health protest

  1. #71
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: Finger bitten off during California health protest

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    That's great. Care to at least even make it look like you are trying to address the topic?
    Aww not so fun when you're on the receiving end is it? You fail to address the topic all the time now you're whining when its your turn. Left wing postings about shouting down a woman in a wheel chair? Here you go again making something partisan. How would you know what her position even was if they didn't even let her talk? They shouted down people on their own side but you failed to address that and veered everything off subject with partisan hackery

  2. #72
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: Finger bitten off during California health protest

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenb View Post
    I made the assertion based out of fact.


    Look at recent history, and look at recent mass shootings in gun free zones. There is quite enough history now to prove this notion that gun free zones are a failure.. and only contribute needlessly to more deaths.
    If this is truly the case and not a logical fallacy on your part why is it that we have more gun related violence per capita while those with stricter gunlaws have less?

  3. #73
    User cmckinney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Last Seen
    04-19-11 @ 08:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    65

    fyi Re: Finger bitten off during California health protest

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    So...I can bite your pinky off and you'll be cool with it?
    Fact: the strength needed to bite off a guy's pinky is about the sane needed to bite into a baby carrot. Bon appetit.
    I cannot trust a man to control others who cannot control himself.

  4. #74
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
    stevenb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, Az
    Last Seen
    11-28-09 @ 08:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,560

    Re: Finger bitten off during California health protest

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I'm still waiting for you to provide empirical evidence that...

    Gun free zones lead to more innocent deaths than right wing nuts.
    The presence of guns would make schools safer.

    Given that you made those claims earlier, I'm sure you have some evidence to back them up.

    As far as your "Location / Population density aren't at debate.. given proper training" what empirical evidence do you have to support this claim or are you just making another assumption as you seem quite prone to do.
    Take a look at shall issue states, and their violent crime statistics.

    The notion that a person because of their surroundings cannot act in a responsible manner is pretty wild.

    I've provided far more evidence than I have to... considering recent history and school shootings.

    I've not claimed that arming faculty at schools would make them safer.. I've simply pointed out that disarming them sure as hell hasn't worked the intended way you guys thought it would.
    George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to win the war with Britain... He shot them.

  5. #75
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: Finger bitten off during California health protest

    Quote Originally Posted by cmckinney View Post
    Fact: the strength needed to bite off a guy's pinky is about the sane needed to bite into a baby carrot. Bon appetit.
    I think Mike Tyson would be an authoritative figure on this. Both men should have been arrested the guy who started the fight by punching the other guy and the other guy for going mike tyson.

  6. #76
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
    stevenb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, Az
    Last Seen
    11-28-09 @ 08:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,560

    Re: Finger bitten off during California health protest

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    If this is truly the case and not a logical fallacy on your part why is it that we have more gun related violence per capita while those with stricter gunlaws have less?
    I'd assume you're talking about Europe and Australia?

    Care to look at their violent crime statistics?

    It would seem that getting rid of guns only cut down on "gun crime"... not actual violent crime.

    Funny you should mention that.
    George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to win the war with Britain... He shot them.

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Finger bitten off during California health protest

    Thank god the old dude had Medicare...


  8. #78
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Finger bitten off during California health protest

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenb View Post
    Gun violence isn't the only type of violence in our schools.

    Where I went to school there were a few stabbings as well.

    Making an entire case to disarm anyone who could protect / serve to protect a group of people who you already disarmed.. based on "incredibly low numbers" seems dishonest at best as well.

    Statistics prove that CCW holders account for less than 1% of violent crime. Why is it that you guys are so against a responsible faculty member being able to protect their children?
    I can't count all the red herrings, personal experiences on your post. But I will try anyways. 1,2,3,4 fi- I'm done count. Oh my. Okay here we go.

    You first argument :

    1.
    Gun violence isn't the only type of violence in our schools.

    Where I went to school there were a few stabbings as well.
    That is the first red herring. The percentage of school stabbings, shoots, etc. are minuscule compared to weaponless violence in our schools. If anything you'd be better off just banning kids from school all together.

    2000 Annual Report on School Safety, Department of Education and Department of Justice, 2000

    Physical attacks without a weapon, theft or larceny, and vandalism are much more common in schools than are the more serious incidents. Forty-four percent to forty-nine percent of all schools reported crimes of these types to the authorities. (2000 Annual Report on School Safety, Department of Education and Department of Justice, 2000)
    What would stabbings, which come in just as few numbers as gun attacks have to do with your perception that arming teachers would somehow stop violence in our schools even though the overall percentage is in the decimal numbers and you're several times more likely to get into a fist fight then you are to get into a knife fight at school? Nothing.

    2.
    Making an entire case to disarm anyone who could protect / serve to protect a group of people who you already disarmed.. based on "incredibly low numbers" seems dishonest at best as well.
    The way I see it is simple. Teachers are people. The same people who are overworked, underpaid and stressed to the last nerve are the people we ask to protect kids and make life and death decisions in the ridiculously small chance there might be a psychopathic 16 year old killing people? I personally don't see a reason for it and see it as just an ego trip. It is like wearing two condoms when your chances of getting laid are close to nil.

    3.
    Statistics prove that CCW holders account for less than 1% of violent crime. Why is it that you guys are so against a responsible faculty member being able to protect their children?
    This is exactly where I wanted you to fall.

    Statistics also show the chances of your kid being in a school shooting are in the 0.000X%. Did you just make my argument for me? I think you did. I'll explain how. Even though CCW holders are responsible for less then 1% of all violent crime then it would be PERFECTLY reasonable for us to ban all guns because there is still a possibility that it might happen. It seems to me highly illogical that you would advocate doing away with gun free zones because they fail less then 1% of the time but not doing away with CCWs even though they are involved in less then 1% of gun crime.

    The rest of your argument is an emotional plea and I will not address it.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #79
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: Finger bitten off during California health protest

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenb View Post
    I'd assume you're talking about Europe and Australia?

    Care to look at their violent crime statistics?

    It would seem that getting rid of guns only cut down on "gun crime"... not actual violent crime.

    Funny you should mention that.
    Well we are talking about guns right? Weren't you implying being armed would cut down on actual gun crime and because people weren't armed that somehow there was more gun crime?

  10. #80
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
    stevenb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, Az
    Last Seen
    11-28-09 @ 08:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,560

    Re: Finger bitten off during California health protest

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    This is exactly where I wanted you to fall.

    Statistics also show the chances of your kid being in a school shooting are in the 0.000X%. Did you just make my argument for me? I think you did. I'll explain how. Even though CCW holders are responsible for less then 1% of all violent crime then it would be PERFECTLY reasonable for us to ban all guns because there is still a possibility that it might happen. It seems to me highly illogical that you would advocate doing away with gun free zones because they fail less then 1% of the time but not doing away with CCWs even though they are involved in less then 1% of gun crime.

    The rest of your argument is an emotional plea and I will not address it.

    Because you could yell fire in a crowded theater we should limit your rights to free speech.

    Funny how that works, right?

    I was under the impression that the United States legal system still worked under the premise innocent until proven guilty?

    gee.


    btw, the same argument you're using about people being stressed and all of that jive was the same one they used in AZ to fight us becoming a shall issue state.

    Let me see if I can recant what was said.. "There would be blood in the streets, and ordinary traffic incidents would become shootouts!".

    Funny, it's been quite a while and none of that has happened.


    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    Well we are talking about guns right? Weren't you implying being armed would cut down on actual gun crime and because people weren't armed that somehow there was more gun crime?
    My point is this:

    Historically places where people are forcibly disarmed by law.. are places where they are most susceptible to violent crime / murder.

    This has been proven in "No gun zones" and places such as New York City, and ****cago, Illinois... They have the most draconian gun laws on the books and still suffer from violent crime that includes weapons...

    Proving, that gun control.. and "gun free zones" are a farce.
    Last edited by stevenb; 09-03-09 at 05:40 PM.
    George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to win the war with Britain... He shot them.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •