Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 40

Thread: Tax Dollars to British distiller for Captain Morgan rum

  1. #11
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    11-19-17 @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,858

    Re: Tax Dollars to British distiller for Captain Morgan rum

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    I don't get what his argument is.
    "The buck stops here" - means that anything and everything can be blamed on the incumbent President?

    From your favourite football team not winning the final to some established practice that nobody blamed any other US president for over the last 90+ years maybe?

    Hows that for a first guess?

  2. #12
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Tax Dollars to British distiller for Captain Morgan rum

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    Apparently, PBO and the Captain make it happen...



    Oh...and real liquor comes from Lynchburg, every American knows that.
    I much prefer to get my rocks off with Bacardi, but to each his own.

  3. #13
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Tax Dollars to British distiller for Captain Morgan rum

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    I did read the article. You didn't obviously. What's happening has been pretty standard. A company gets tax benefits for moving into another territory. A company like walmart gets tax incentives everytime they move into a new city. The rum tax goes to help countries that have rum producing companies. This isn't something started by Barack Obama and this has happened since the tax was first introduced.
    I agree that this has nothing to do with Obama, but that doesn't mean that this proposal is a good idea.

    As the article points out, this tax is generally used for things like social services. Now, much of it will be funneled to a multinational conglomerate.

    Nevertheless, it's the USVI's call, it can do what it wants. I just don't want the money for those social services replaced with US general revenues.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  4. #14
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Tax Dollars to British distiller for Captain Morgan rum

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    I much prefer to get my rocks off with Bacardi, but to each his own.
    As long as it floats your boat.

    Behold, political debate in which we can all respectfully acknowledge each others views!






    ...and it only took the incorporation of alcohol to achieve it.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  5. #15
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: Tax Dollars to British distiller for Captain Morgan rum

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    I agree that this has nothing to do with Obama, but that doesn't mean that this proposal is a good idea.

    As the article points out, this tax is generally used for things like social services. Now, much of it will be funneled to a multinational conglomerate.

    Nevertheless, it's the USVI's call, it can do what it wants. I just don't want the money for those social services replaced with US general revenues.
    Agreed. The OP tried to make it somehow BO's fault. Long standing business practices. Now should he intervene in business?

  6. #16
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Tax Dollars to British distiller for Captain Morgan rum

    Rum makes me puke and I bklame Obama for that. Lol

  7. #17
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Tax Dollars to British distiller for Captain Morgan rum

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Rum makes me puke and I bklame Obama for that. Lol
    The last time I puked from rum was under Dubya. Bush's fault!

  8. #18
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,586

    Re: Tax Dollars to British distiller for Captain Morgan rum

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    Agreed. The OP tried to make it somehow BO's fault. Long standing business practices. Now should he intervene in business?
    It's PBO's show. Therefore, what goes down on his watch will be blamed on him. Now, either your argument is that he knows about it and refuses to do nothing; or he knows about it and is going to stand back while billions of dollars are used to subsidize a foreign company (again), while there's a 9.5% unemployment rate; or, he's too stupid to know what's going on in his government. Which is it?

    Now, if the government were subsidizing Cabo Wabo, I would probably turn a blind eye to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #19
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,092

    Re: Tax Dollars to British distiller for Captain Morgan rum

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It's PBO's show. Therefore, what goes down on his watch will be blamed on him. Now, either your argument is that he knows about it and refuses to do nothing; or he knows about it and is going to stand back while billions of dollars are used to subsidize a foreign company (again), while there's a 9.5% unemployment rate; or, he's too stupid to know what's going on in his government. Which is it?

    Now, if the government were subsidizing Cabo Wabo, I would probably turn a blind eye to that.
    In other words, you are a typical right wing hypocrite.
    PeteEU

  10. #20
    Global Moderator
    Silent Bob for President!

    RedAkston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,832
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Tax Dollars to British distiller for Captain Morgan rum

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    In other words, you are a typical right wing hypocrite.
    In other words, if I told you what you were, I'd be given a 10 point DBAJ.

    Welfare (Food Stamps, WIC, etc...) are not entitlements. They are taxpayer funded handouts and shouldn't be called entitlements at all. Social Security and Veteran's benefits are 'Entitlements' because the people receiving them are entitled to them. They were earned and paid for by the recipients.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •