1) Ridge cannot read, which means that he is considering running for President, using that lovable ol' George Bush homespun charm.
2) Ridge backpedaled because he changed his mind, which means he cannot be trusted.
3) Ridge backpedaled because of renewed pressure, which means that he was a poor choice for Homeland Security Secretary to begin with.
4) Ridge was pressured by his publisher, who wanted to make the book juicy, but then changed his mind, which means that he waffles worse than John Kerry.
5) Ridge is one hell of a practical jokester, and the joke is on all of us.
Pick one. LOL.